Moana (2016)

Started by Rocketeer, July 20, 2016, 04:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketeer

Walt Disney Animation Studios (WDAS) next feature will be Moana. Due for release in France November 30th (as «Vaiana, la Légende du Bout du Monde») , and the UK December 2nd.

QuoteA young woman uses her navigational talents to set sail for a fabled island. Joining her on the adventure is her hero, the legendary demi-god Maui.

Here's the teaser:
https://youtu.be/C6PbWhWGUrY

and the Japanese teaser that plays on the kawaii.
https://youtu.be/diAKqIIiY6g

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

msRavenswood

The Japanese teaser is beyond adorable!

Sugaroo_

Dwayne Johnson is just PERFECT to voice Maui. And Moana is lovely!
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

Sugaroo_

@Disneylandberry via twitter:

"Moana will arrive at Disneyland Paris in November as part of the Disney's Enchanted Christmas Season!"

Yay!!!  ;D
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

Rocketeer

Pics of the entire cast are on /film.

http://www.slashfilm.com/disneys-moana-characters/

Call me cynical but I'm betting that they'll be plushes of Pua and Heihei. And probably the Kakamora...

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

Sugaroo_

Not cynical, dead on :P Especially Pua. I'd like to see the characters featured in Adventureland, they'd fit in perfect there.

Rocketeer

^Excellent place for a meet'n'greet. Heck, wouldn't it be great if they added some sort of Luau show to the Adventureland stage?

Sugaroo_

Yes please!

Now with the risk of sounding clueless, Adventureland has a stage? :o Like Chaparral?

Rocketeer

d'oh! You're right, it is the Chaparal that I was thinking of. Then again, if they can put Tarzan (in Frontierland), then Moana is no different.

Thaliel

so, obviously Moana got renamed into Vaiana for (most of) europe? what the fudge?
<-Plz click

DisneyRon

Quote from: Thaliel on August 18, 2016, 06:40:35 PM
so, obviously Moana got renamed into Vaiana for (most of) europe? what the fudge?
Trademark troubles, not entirely sure what it was, but there was something named Moana here already. Hence the name change.

Rocketeer

Newest trailer out. It does show an awful lot of the film (as is the trend these days).

marf91

The new trailer looks incredible! I am so very excited! :D
PREVIOUS VISITS:
Oct 1993, Aug 1994, Aug 1997, Jan 1998, May 1998, Aug 1998, Aug 2001, Jan 2002, Aug 2002, Aug 2004, Jan 2005, Aug 2006, May 2007, Aug 2007, Jul 2008, Aug 2010, Aug 2011, Aug 2013, Aug 2014, May 2015, Aug 2016

FUTURE TRIPS:
New Year 2016

Rocketeer

Saw the film last night and wasn't disappointed.
Off we set sail to the beautiful island of Motunui. A stunning backdrop to a very good film, Ron 'n' John once again have proven that they are at the pinnicle of their industry.

The attention to detail was superb, and there are subtle nuances in the animation that second to none. And not to forget to  mention Eric Goldberg's whimsical touch of Maui's hand-drawn tattoos.

And then there's the soundtrack, a wonderful combination of tradional sounds with the modern.

**small spoilers**
Maui's "Your're Welcome" is very catchy and had some wonderful 2D paper animation, that reminded me of "Almost There" from The Princess and the Frog.
Tamatoa's song "Shiney" sounded like it could have easily been sung by David Bowie. Certainly an unexpected moment in the film.
"How Far I'll Go" may not be quite "Let It Go" but its not too shabby.

OK, there are a couple of things that weren't perfect - but then again, what film is?

I'd easily put this in the top three of WDAS films of this century. 4/5.

DisneyRon

Saw the film the day after the premiere.

The animation is completely gorgeous. Amazing landscapes, cool "tribal" art, amazingly animated characters.
But in my opinion the film felt a little light on story, Moana's arc isn't particularly complex.
Note this doesn't make the film any less enjoyable, as it's a visual masterpiece, but I felt that the story could have used a little more punch. :)