HKDL Castle to be replaced?

Started by Rocketeer, November 10, 2016, 06:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketeer

QuoteRumor has it that Hong Kong Disneyland is unhappy with the carbon copy of Sleeping Beauty Castle that they received from Disneyland back in 2005 when the park opened. While the small castle looks rather beautiful with the real mountains behind it, the castle itself is rather unimpressive.

It seems that Hong Kong is a little jealous of little brother Shanghai Disneyland's giant Storybook Castle and wants a bigger and more impressive park icon of their own.

If the plan comes to pass, a larger castle (smaller than Shanghai, but completely unique in design) will be built on the site of the current Sleeping Beauty Castle in Hong Kong. This would mark the very first time that a castle was torn down in a Disney theme park.

This project is part of a rumored second expansion phase of the park that would include new attractions as well.
-WDWNT
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/11/rumor-hong-kong-disneyland-tear-sleeping-beauty-castle/

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

msRavenswood

Sounds kind of crazy, but who knows...

Rocketeer

Exactly, given the rumour of the Guardians and the Tower... (plus the other crazyness this year) I wouldn't be surprised.

Here's an interesting comment fro Alan Littaye of Disney&More...
It didn't took me long to check this rumor of a change of the HKDL Castle and, guess what, the rumor is TRUE! It doesn't mean that they are GOING to do it, but it means that they are seriously THINKING about doing it.
http://disneyandmore.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/is-hong-kong-disneyland-thinking-to.html

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

Puffin

may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay ● august 2019 hotel cheyenne

msRavenswood

Looks like they're keeping the original one as base and will be expanding it upwards.

Rocketeer

Well it's different, I'll give 'em that. It'll look great in person that's for sure.

Well spotted on the current castle being reused MsRavenswood. Guess that's the only logical way for them to expand it.
And do we know a name at all? Surely it won't be Sleeping Beauty Castle anymore.

And about those other additions?

Two more Marvel attractions - one in '18 and the other in '23. These replace Buzz Lightyear and Autopia.

And a Frozen Land in '20 with two attractions (I'm, guessing this is reusing the abandond plans from TDS).

B-roll of the additions..
https://youtu.be/--1HhUIfHwE

msRavenswood

By the way, I can't help being envious, or should I say jealous, that they are getting so many new elements while our main Park hasn't had any new additions for years!  :'(

Rocketeer

Indeed. That's what lead me to start the expansion question thread in the Paris subforum.

I can understand why they're doing all this in HK - they have to readdress the balance after Shanghai opened. Once again though DLP languishes behind.

Puffin

My biggest surprise is that Buzz Lightyear will be rethemed to a Marvel ride. Never been to the Hong Kong Park, but the Buzz rides in Paris, Tokyo and Orlando are always amongst the busiest and most popular when I visit.
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay ● august 2019 hotel cheyenne

Rocketeer

^Apparently its no coincidence on the timing with Buzz either. Its projected opening happens to be the same time as 'Ant-Man and the Wasp' is out in cinemas.