A Greener Esplanade

Started by Columbiad, February 20, 2011, 07:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Columbiad

Ok ok, so the Esplande is the least of DLP's worries right now, but its just something that I thought could be better, so I redesigned it.

My new design makes the Esplanade greener, and guides guests in so that they have a choice between the two parks. Thats one of the things I love about the way the parks are layed out: the way features are laid out around a central hub or plaza, and the way they can guide the guests in order to better tell the story.

Heres a groundplan to begin with:

As the majority of guests arrive from the Hotels (via Disney Village), the car-park or the Train station/bus station, my design takes them from here to a small "square" where they have the choice of the two parks. The landscaping further expands on the general theme of the park, so the side nearest Parc Disneyland features a horticultural continuation of Fantasia Gardens, whilst the side nearest Walt Disney Studios Park is flanked by Hollywood-style palm trees, as you can see in the impression below. The WDS side would also feature a "red carpet" on the ground.

One of the other benefits of this central "hub" is that families seperated by the after-Firework bustle can easily find each other.

My new esplanade would also feature plenty of sign-posting, as I understand how complex the layout of the resort can seen to those not used to Disney's way of doing things. As seen above, I envisage a signpost similar to the exisiting lamposts.

On the other side of path from the future World of Disney store (where the Train Station expansion is expected to be) is also where I imagine somesort of evalated railway or monorail to the third park. I like the idea of all the parks coming off the one esplanade, like the spokes of a wheel, and so this would be in keeping with Walts original hub design of Disneyland. However, if there were to be some sort of monorail serving the Villages Nature or Val d'Europe, as has been discussed somewere else on this forum, it would be a seperate system, possibly built over near the Bus station.

If the third park were to be some sort of water park, I imagine this building to be nautical, with some sort of lighthouse, to form some sort of symmetry with the World of Disney dome.

I've also done a new Discoveryland expansion, which I hope to get up soon.  :D

Josh

I really love this idea. However, once thing you haven't considered is those stupid security checks. Your new design will require the guards to set up extra booths. It would be good to give them a permanent place to do the checks.

But I love your concept. That seems like the perfect place for a monorail to take people to the shopping centre and a possible third theme park. However, it would need to handle a large amount of people. Maybe a WED mover would be better? :)
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

peter

great, but that land outside the station, parks and disney village is not owned by disney, so they can't get rid of people selling rubbish eifel towers,etc.

Austin Danger Kelly

I thinks it's a fantastic idea, and congrats on creating that fab artwork!
But what about a cable car system like the one in Altin Towers instead of a monorail?
Past visits to the Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Hotel Three Times.
Sequoia Lodge Four Times.
Travelers Explorers Hotel Once.
]

Josh

Quote from: "Austin Danger Kelly"But what about a cable car system like the one in Alton Towers instead of a monorail?
Because Walt loved monorails. His vision of the future was that that would be our main way of getting around. That never really happened, but it was always a big part of the Disney Parks. It's only us and Hong Kong that don't have one. :)
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Columbiad

Wow. Excellant points.

@Meph: Oh - good point. I think I'd place a security check at the neck of the main "lane" - the one that leads you to the crossroads (I made a wee map below). I realise that this still leaves routes available fore guests to bypass it, but is it not similar at the moment, where you can avoid the checks?

QuoteIt would be good to give them a permanent place to do the checks.

Your so right - I imagine wee booths like the ones found at the Central Plaza in Parc Disneyland:

Quotegreat, but that land outside the station, parks and disney village is not owned by disney, so they can't get rid of people selling rubbish eifel towers,etc.

@Peter: I know - its such a shame. Thats why this is purely fantastical. It would be so great if Disney did own it. But we can only dream...

QuoteBecause Walt loved monorails. His vision of the future was that that would be our main way of getting around. That never really happened, but it was always a big part of the Disney Parks. It's only us and Hong Kong that don't have one.

@Meph: Exactly. I personally love the monorails, but I cant help feeling they wouldn't translate that well in Europe - I mean - they are very American theme-parky, (which is of course what Disneyland is!) but I think in Disneyland Paris's attempts to be a park more influences by European art and style, they need something a bit more (I really dont want to use the word, but I think I'll have to) classy.
I seriously hope what I write makes sense. I find my language goes all out whenever I write in here!

Thanks for a feedback!  :thumbs:

15MagicalYears

What a great idea, and I agree on that permanent security check booths are needed. The plastic gazebo-like things really cheapen the whole area.

CafeFantasia

Yes, I agree. The plastic gazebo-like security tents do look really cheap don't they? They give a bad first impression to anyone visiting the parks.

Surely Disney could afford to build a permanent Disneyland Hotel themed security checkpoint for Disneyland Park, and a Front Lot themed one for the Walt Disney Studios Park?

Josh

That would probably be the best place for them. :)

Quote from: "Alan"Surely Disney could afford to build a permanent Disneyland Hotel themed security checkpoint for Disneyland Park, and a Front Lot themed one for the Walt Disney Studios Park?
The only problem with that is that if you were switching between the parks, you'd have to be checked again. :(
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

peter

what if glass sheets and a permanent shelter surrounded the esplanade? also at the end of disney village.