A Monorail at DLP

Started by Josh, February 19, 2011, 07:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh

The monorails were always a fun way of getting from the car park to the Magic Kingdom in WDW.

I think it would really well if they had them in Paris as well as a resort-hoppa. They could have a monorail station on top of the train station to give access to the two parks and the Disney Village. Then, it could possibly take a little trip over autopia (similar to Disneyland in California, but only briefly) and turn back and stop at another station near the lake (possibly on the west side). After that, it would join Avenue Paul Seramy, travel down Avenue Robert Schuman and turn left down Avenue Jules Verne. There, they could have another station serving Santa Fe and Cheyenne.

There could also be an extended line that goes to Val d'Europe, the golf and Davy Crockett.

So what do you think? Is it viable, or should we stick to the shuttle buses? :P
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

dagobert

If I'm not mistaken there exist some early concept arts of the resort including a monorail. I think I've seen them on the disneyandmore blog.

15MagicalYears

Personally I think the resort is far too small to have a monorail, but in the future if a third park and more hotels open I think it would be awesome.

CafeFantasia

Well consider this. Building a Monorail system is supposedly so expensive that even Walt Disney World hasn't extended theirs to link about Disney's Hollywood Studios, or Animal Kingdom.

So, what are the chances of cash-strapped Disneyland Paris getting a Monorail? I'd say pretty slim, for now.

dagobert

I'm sure we will never see a monorail like the ones at the US parks in Paris. Like Alan said that's too expansive. Even the one in Las Vegas doesn't make any money.

At the moment the resort is too small to need such a transportation system and if there will ever be a third park there are other ways to connect them. One example could be the cable liner system I posted in the Villages Nature thread. This one is already in use in Las Vegas toconnect several MGM Mirage hotels.

Josh

I was thinking more in the long-term. If/when they start building more hotels and whatnot, it would obviously be more viable. :)
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

dansmith

Maybe instead of monorail like the ones at the US parks, how about re-visiting the elevated railway that was one of the ideas for the 1920's main street? The 20's design would make it unique and it maybe cheaper than building a monorail. Mind you it still wouldn't be a cheap option.

Josh

The WED movers? Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. :) They're even using something similar at Heathrow airport, so why not? :P It'd be a fun alternative. :)
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

CafeFantasia

Disney aren't going to build a monorail just "for fun". Is there currently a transportation problem at Disneyland Paris that needs solving? Are the resort buses full to capacity, making it very difficult to get from the parks back to your hotel? There certainly isn't a need for a monorail between the two theme parks, because they're within walking distance of each other.

dansmith

True but the idea of a 20's style EL Train going to the hotel New York then the other hotels would be cool. But as you say they are within walking distance so there is no real need. Even if there was a transport issue you would just lay on more buses....but that's the practical less "Blue Sky" solution.

Josh

@Alan
Indeed. It's just an idea for fun. However, as I say, this may be more viable when there are more attractions, such as a third park.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Bettan

A great idea, but probably way too expensive.

But they must soon think of something else than the shuttlebuses. Not so good for the environment. Maybe some sorts of small trains between Val d'Europe, the Disneyhotels and the Parks. I would like to be able to rent a bike for a cheap prise, so I can travel between Val d'Europe and the Parks whenever I want.

In a few years the Waterpark opens, so it would be even more people that needs transportation in the area.

peter

the buses will not be viable once the third park opens, and it would make a lot of sense having the monorail run down to villages nature when that opens

Pete's Dragon

Sorry, couldn't resist posting this. First Simpsons episode I ever saw by the way

[youtube:zp32r6ax]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF_yLodI1CQ&feature=related[/youtube:zp32r6ax]

The logistics of a monorail in DLP would be huge. To start with, what route would it take in order to emcompass everything? Would the 'cheap' hotels ignored? What about Davy Crockett and future expansions? I can't imagine where the track would be built to reach Newport Bay Hotel without it looking horrible a)Around the lake and destroy the view or b)around the front and destroy the grandure of the hotel's entrance.

As this is just for fun and if money was no option, why stop sort at a Monorail. Why not go the whole 9 yards and build an underground rail system connecting all areas of the resort. How fitting would it be to go down a flight or 2 of stairs at Hotel New York to reach a subway station? Think of the fun they could have themeing each hotel's stop to resemble caves e.g. Santa Fe - like a tunnel from BTM. Sequoia - bear's cave. Newport - watery cavern etc. etc.

Monorail - no. Underground - Yes !  8)

davewasbaloo

DLP was designed to accommodate a monorail to the Euro Epcot park for phase 3, but it was blue sky, doubt it will ever happen. WDW was also supposed to get a monorail extension too. But it is too costly. I could see them extending the rivers and having water taxis (or at least in Eisner's days I could have).
since 2001 (many before that)