Espace Euro Disney - Demolished

Started by Festival Disney, December 13, 2010, 06:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Festival Disney

Following 18 years of vandalism and abuse, Espace Euro Disney (the preview centre for EDL) has finally been demolished - a year since the demolishon permit was granted.

Early 1990's

Pic Source: http://www.eurosouvenirland.com/gallery/165/ Photo © J. Drewett

2000's

Pic Source: Wikipedia

In June of this year, the land was sold and a building permit was granted in late July for an office building for a medical body.

Source (DisneyGazette.fr)
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

pussinboots

Ah well, it was always supposed to be a temporary structure, anyway, and goodness knows it was in a bad state. Still, if it had been a bit more centrally located, it would have been nice to maintain in some way. It was after all a Robert A.M. Stern...

Martyn

Whats EDL, and where abouts was this?

dagobert

Quote from: "Martyn"Whats EDL, and where abouts was this?

EDL stands for EuroDisneyland. Until 1994 the park was called EuroDisneyland while the entire complex was called Euro Disney Resort or just Euro Disney.

I don't know exactly where Espace Euro Disney was, but I think it was near Val d'Europe.

Martyn

Thank you (I'm certain it was just called EuroDisney, which is a lot better than EuroDisneyland).

dagobert

Here is summary about all the names of Disneyland Paris:
http://www.eurosouvenirland.com/timelin ... in-a-name/

Festival Disney

If you click here you can see the old Espace, and then if you zoom out you'll be able to see how far it was from the Resort  :)
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

Scissorsboi

It's a shame it wasn't closer to the parks (it'd be nice next to where the Toy Story Playland billboard is in Village), and converted into a Blue Sky Cellar (//http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2008/10/blue-sky-cellar-unveils-exciting-new.html)type exhibition for the parks. The design is fantastic 'old school Disney', it reminds me of Pop Century's buildings!

On a side note was the hat from that building recycled into the one on Art of Disney Animation?
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

Riebi

That´s a bit sad! True, true! But on the other hand: It had his times before the opening.

I think it was a way out cause there wasn´t much were now Disneyland is. Remember: The visitors for the preview center had to use older existing streets (or streets that were ready to the times of the preview center) and not the new bvds of Disneyland Paris that exist nowadays or since opening of the parks.

But I would love to see a blue sky cellar, maybe at disney village (former disney store after world of disney opening?). Just dreams  :D
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

dagobert

I don't think that it would have been possible to have the preview center at DV even there would have been streets. DLRP was a huge construction site and so I can't imagine that it would have been allowed to have people on the property to visit Espace Euro Disney.

jovada

What happened to the parking lot between 2004 and 2005? When you use the slider in Google Earth to show the historical imagery, you can see that everything stays intact until 2004. Then there's a cloudy photo of 2005, showing some strange blocks on the parking lot. And the most recent imagery, from 2007, shows an even other image of the parking lot. What's all that?

Festival Disney

Quote from: "jovada"What happened to the parking lot between 2004 and 2005? When you use the slider in Google Earth to show the historical imagery, you can see that everything stays intact until 2004. Then there's a cloudy photo of 2005, showing some strange blocks on the parking lot. And the most recent imagery, from 2007, shows an even other image of the parking lot. What's all that?

The site got invaded by Gypsies/Travelers so after they finally got evicted, they dug up the parking lot to stop any future camping  :lol:
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

dagobert

Designing Disney posted a great article about Espace Euro Disney. Take a look:

http://designingdisney.blogspot.com/201 ... eview.html

There is a link at the end of the post to this site:
http://artofrobertrowe.blogspot.com/sea ... w%20Center

kate&phoo

I saw another thread on this forum about your thoughts and feelings in the run up to your visit to Disneyland; and seeing that building is my overriding memory of going to ED for the first time in '92. I was too young to fully look into what it would be like or what would be there, but seeing pictures of that building blew my mind and was like nothing I'd seen before. Seeing it get demolished is sad but seeing the state they allowed it to get into is worse, why did they let that happen :( ?