'Le Tour du Monde' - New WDS Attraction

Started by JelleP, May 08, 2010, 11:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JelleP

Hi there!

I've been working on a new attraction for the WDS masterplan. It includes the giant lake behind the Hollywood Blv. and a new Studio Tram Tour route. The ride is based on the novel 'Le tour du monde en quatre-vingt jours' ('Around the World in Eighty Days') by Jules Verne. It's a classic adventure novel by the French writer Jules Verne, first published in 1873.

In the story, Phileas Fogg of London and his newly employed French valet Passepartout attempt to circumnavigate the world in 80 days on a £20,000 wager set by his friends at the Reform Club.

In the attraction I'm working on, Jules Verne himself will be planning to make the journey. He has got a secret lab inside a huge volcano. Guests will enter the lab and discover all the strange things inside. There will also be some stuff from other novels, like drawings of the Nautilus, strange crystals from 'A Journey to the Center of the Earth' and a model of the Columbiad Cannon ('From the Earth to the Moon').

In the end the guests will go on the jouney by themselfs and, of course, some thing will go wrong...

You can see my online sketchbook with lots of ideas and, of course, sketches on my website jellep.com (Concepts > 'Le Tour du Monde'). When there are new sketches available I'll post it here. Enjoy!

Please comment and when you've any ideas or suggestions, post them here!
I would love to hear from you ;)

Jelle.
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

luke85

This would make an amazing attraction! It has all the ingredients of classic Disney Imagineering! Can't wait to read more about it :D

Columbiad

A fantastic idea - although would it not be better suited to Discoveryland? The Columbiad cannon already exsists outsdide Space Mountain, and the majority of the Discoveryland attractions draw inspiration from Vernes' work.  Perhaps if Star Tours or Buss Lightyear were ever carted off to the Studios, this attraction could take thier place? :)
Love the fact it based on Around the World In Eighty Days.

CafeFantasia

You've just given me an idea.

How about a simulator attraction in a hot air balloon? You'd stand in a ring-shaped carriage like the one on PanoraMagique, but rather than reality below you, there'd be a huge (think Soarin') IMAX dome screen. So you'd be looking down from your balloon into this huge bowl, on which the flight would be projected.

The balloon's carriage could raise and lower during the flight, to provide the feeling of ascending or suddenly dropping. It could also tilt and tip-up a bit, like the real PanoraMagique does.

JelleP

@Luke85: Thanks man! Glad you like it ;)

@Columbiad: I've been thinking about that, but I think it's more likely to have a new attraction in the WDS than one in the Disneyland Park, where they should re-organize all of Discoveryland. :roll:

@Alan: you mean to have serveral attractions inside the mountain? Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, but I'm not sure if it would fit into the storyline to have something like that BESIDE the 'real' ride. Maybe it could serve as a pre-show, where Jules Verne introduces you to his new invention and prepares his visitors to the journey they're about to go on!
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

disneyrules

What a great idea!
I would love this to come to the studios. As it is around the world in 80 days themed would you put landmarks from various countrys round the world on it.
I only hope that we don\'t lose sight of one thing,that it was all started by a mouse[size=150] Walt Disney
[/size]

:pluto:  :mickey1:

JelleP

Quote from: "disneyrules"What a great idea!
I would love this to come to the studios. As it is around the world in 80 days themed would you put landmarks from various countrys round the world on it.
I personally thought of some kind of 'souvenirs' Jules Verne brought from previous journeys. Like little Buda-figures or something. Great idea :thumbs:

Until next wednesday I've got tests on school, so I won't have any updates till then :oops: