Captain EO returns to Discoveryland - now closed

Started by The Butlin Boy, April 10, 2010, 01:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Here's what I know about this rumour.  A refurbishment of HISTA is not announced on the most recent refurbishment schedule.  So if HISTA is actually closing next week, then it's very likely something big is happening, since refurbishments are always planned up front for at least one year!

The Butlin Boy

I've seen comments from members on Disney Central Plaza talking about an internal announcement which occured a couple of days ago. Looks like this really could be happening now! :)

Maarten

Quote from: "Kristof"True, but let's face it, those screens don't really contribute to the show.  They're not even in 3D.  I've seen the show a few times, but never really paid attention to the side screens at all.

Indeed, it's a pity those screens aren't in 3D, but the fact that the screen becomes wider at one point is nice. Whether you can appreciate those smaller screens or not, Disney will probably never install Philarmagic without them, simply because they are part of the show.

I'm afraid we can rather expect Monsters Inc. Laughing Floor to replace HISTA/Captain EO (like in California) then Philarmagic or MuppetVision. A new 3D show would be preferable though. Maybe WALL-E? Well, let's focus on a possible return of Captain EO first. I for one can't wait.

QTXAdsy

I hope EO returns to DLP, I've heard that Tokyo Disneyland is bring it back in June I think. My guess with it's return at DLR being a huge success, I guess the other parks are all now joining in now.  

I could see it being a limited run in the parks before being replaced by something else. They might leave it empty until DLP's 20th anniversary for a special new attraction that hopefully won't be Monsters Inc. Laughing Floor, but then again I'm always wrong. :-k

Here Come The Belgians!

montaguewarner

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2010/ ... yland.html

I found MJ pretty creepy later on in his life but at the filming of this i think he was still in his prime!
I can't wait to see what all the fuss is about!
And lets be honest, anything - and i mean anything, is better than HISTA!
Past Visits
DLP - JUN 2005 - Val D\'Europe
DL - APR 2006 - Disneyland Hotel
DLP - AUG 2009 - Val D\'Europe
DLP - JUL 2010 - Val D\'Europe
DLP - JUN 2011 - Val D\'Europe

Kristof

Quote from: "montaguewarner"THATS IT! ITS OFFICIAL PEOPLE :D

Well not OFFICIAL official! But I'm so excited since i'll be going this summer before TSPL opens!
I found MJ pretty creepy later on in his life but at the filming of this i think he was still in his prime! I can't wait to see what all the fuss is about! And lets be honest anything - and i mean anything is better than HISTA!

That's just a recap of what's been said here and on Disney Central Plaza.   :wink:

QTXAdsy

Quote from: "Kristof"

Well not OFFICIAL official! But I'm so excited since i'll be going this summer before TSPL opens!
I found MJ pretty creepy later on in his life but at the filming of this i think he was still in his prime! I can't wait to see what all the fuss is about! And lets be honest anything - and i mean anything is better than HISTA!

That's just a recap of what's been said here and on Disney Central Plaza.   :wink:

Hang on, you mean it is or isn't returning? :?

Here Come The Belgians!

-breeno-

Quote from: "QTXAdsy"Hang on, you mean it is or isn't returning? :?
He means that is hasn't be confirmed yet, it is still just a rumour as no one has officially came out and announced it is coming.  The blog post montaguewarner posted is just a recap of what we have already read here.

As for the idea of bringing back Eo I would very much welcome the idea as I've never seen it before and lets face it, HISTA is pretty much screaming now to be sent to the great attraction retirement home to join it's old friends de la Terre à la Lune and Le Visionarium.  From what i've heard over in DLR they managed to add some effects from HISTA such as the moving seats effect into Captain Eo so in a way everyone will be able to have a new experience of this attraction.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Patrick

Quote from: "QTXAdsy"
Quote from: "Kristof"

Hang on, you mean it is or isn't returning? :?

It basically means that we do not know if it is returning or not, as far as has been stated it is a rumour.  (I see someone just posted this :lol: )

Personally I am all for this return, though when I think some more about the addition, it feels like a great idea for short term.  Though, in a few years we will all be complaining that it looks old and should be replaced, similar to how we all seem to feel about Honey I shrunk the audience.  After all the technology is old, and personally I would rather see something completely modern and new in this theatre.  As has been stated, Philarmagic just would not cut it in Discoveryland.  What exactly is futuristic about that?

A new 3d film would be nice,  but only if it fits with the existing theme, and not just another Buzz cut and paste addition, which I still believe holds no place in this land.  Now would be nice to see some type of time travelling attraction,similar to the idea behind le visionarium.  Maybe even some type of attraction based on one of the tales of the original visionaries, but that's for another topic.

CafeFantasia

There are five Disneyland-style parks around the World:

• Disneyland (California)
• Magic Kingdom (Orlando)
• Tokyo Disneyland
• Disneyland Park (Paris)
• Hong Kong Disneyland

Only three of those parks have 3D theatres in Tomorrowland/Discoveryland:

• Tokyo Disneyland
• Disneyland Park (Paris)

If Disneyland Park in Paris gets a new 3D film for Discoveryland, it'll only happen IF they create a new one for the other two parks. But if those two 3D theatres get turned into something else, such as Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, I'm afraid Captain EO will be the last 3D film shown in Discoveryland.

montaguewarner

Have they already announced it to the CM's?
Past Visits

Kristof

Quote from: "Alan"There are five Disneyland-style parks around the World:

• Magic Kingdom (Orlando)
• Tokyo Disneyland
• Disneyland Park (Paris)
• Hong Kong Disneyland

Only three of those parks have 3D theatres in Tomorrowland/Discoveryland:

• Tokyo Disneyland
• Disneyland Park (Paris)

If Disneyland Park in Paris gets a new 3D film for Discoveryland, it'll only happen IF they create a new one for the other two parks. But if those two 3D theatres get turned into something else, such as Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, I'm afraid Captain EO will be the last 3D film shown in Discoveryland.

Yeah but there's also HISTA at Epcot.  They can't keep that running forever over there either.

montaguewarner

Quote from: "Alan"If Disneyland Park in Paris gets a new 3D film for Discoveryland, it'll only happen IF they create a new one for the other two parks. But if those two 3D theatres get turned into something else, such as Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, I'm afraid Captain EO will be the last 3D film shown in Discoveryland.

Don't you think that Disney will create one World Wide replacement for these shows!
Just that when the Captain EO hype dies out  (which I'm thinking will be a year or two) and HISTA at epcot is ready to go, this will all be sort of the same time across the parks.

Surely the imagineers will be tasked to come up with a new attraction to be implemented across the parks, i can't imagine them bulldozing all these 3D theatres! It won't be anything near an E-ticket but at least HISTA was good to have a short rest before it became so boring you just wanted to leave half way through.  :P
Past Visits

*TIMMIE*

Quote from: "montaguewarner"Have they already announced it to the CM's?

If I can trust various CM on Themepark.nl; Yes, it was announced recently to the CM.  :D/  :^o  [-o<  :D

SM:M3

I don't know about this, I have never seen either show and personally I don't like MJ music or whatever, but if HISTA is as old and outdated as you all say it is then this is a good temporary fix.
Then when EO goes I'd like to see a 3D/4D film based on Le Visionarium, going over Europe into the past, present and future, a bit like Soarin' without the hang-glider and stuff, but still something people would want to visit :?: