Monsters Inc Ride - early concept needs refining

Started by Disney Mum, March 30, 2010, 11:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disney Mum

Personally one of the things I think that is missing are moderately exciting rides for the smaller ones, my 5yr old only managed to get onto ThunderMountain legitimately for the first time this year.  In WDW she could get on Goofy's Barnstormer, but at Busch Gardens she was tall enough this year to get on the Scorpion on her own and do her first looper!  So I have been racking my brains for ideas from Disney films that could make an exciting coaster style ideal suitable for slightly smaller kids.
finally today I had a brainwave, based on the end of Monsters Inc when there are all the doors flying around, so my idea is a suspended ride, in pairs rather than a long train, there might be doors between guests and it would be good if there were multiple routes round the ride so you could see a split in the rail and not know which way you were going to go.  There would definitely be some drops and good corners to get the suspended car swinging out a bit (but no inversions). The ride would work best indoors as there could be some stops at closed doors, then some laughter/scream would power up and open the door so the ride could continue - possibly into another kids bedroom like at the end of the movie.  I imagine several cars could be boarding at once, there could be lines of doors stacked as if in storage waiting to be called and a boarding station at each one.  The queue could be going through the laughter floor, loads of opportunities for interactive things where people could put in their own jokes etc along the way.  I imagine this would work best in Disney Studions, otherwise in Tomorrowland.
Sorry such a long post, any suggestions for improvements welcome.  I can't believe I studied Mech Engineering 20yrs ago as my dream was to design and build coasters or animatronics but this is the 1st time I have ever tried to think of something!

DLP - Magic Circus Sep06, SQL Feb07, Cheyenne Apr07, Sequoia Xmas07, SQL Jun09, HNY Sep10, SF Mar11, Cheyenne Jun12, NPBC Oct12, Cheyenne Mar13 soon SQL Dec13

Florida - Intnl Drive Aug88, Comfort Suites May08, LBV Resort Village Sep09, POR AR Aug/Sep11 soon Encantada/DCL Oct/Nov14

lil-shawn

I think you are not the only person who had the idea, look what WDI was or is planing for DHS!!
//http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2008/07/21/monday-mouse-watch-get-ready-for-wdw-s-monstrous-new-coaster.aspx

Disney Mum

And I was so impressed with myself!!!!  Can't decide if it is just that great minds think alike or that the idea was just too obvious.....  Well I'm looking forward to riding it either way, it says it might be online at DHS for fall 2011 which is when we are next planning to go to WDW, so might time in just right.
Back to the drawing board, gonna think of something new (it stops me thinking of DIY projects for my husband!)

DLP - Magic Circus Sep06, SQL Feb07, Cheyenne Apr07, Sequoia Xmas07, SQL Jun09, HNY Sep10, SF Mar11, Cheyenne Jun12, NPBC Oct12, Cheyenne Mar13 soon SQL Dec13

Florida - Intnl Drive Aug88, Comfort Suites May08, LBV Resort Village Sep09, POR AR Aug/Sep11 soon Encantada/DCL Oct/Nov14