A badly drawn solution for that road behind Art of Animation

Started by pussinboots, November 23, 2009, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

This came up in the Toy Story Playland thread. You know that awkward, utilitarian walkway behind the Art of Disney Animation? It looks like this.

So I thought, how expensive could it have been to pull out that old Disney trick and build a minor berm? Here I've attempted to borrow the fancifully horticultured one that hides the backstage area between Auberge de Cendrillon and Pizzeria Bella Notte.

Add a statue or a small fountain or some element of appropriate themeing and alakazoom, you have something that doesn't feel like a backstage area with guests in it. You would have some actual landscaping. No?

Anthony

Yes please. Very silly it has to remain a completely straight path, with nothing at the end. This decision (or lack of decision) will probably be there to disappoint us for years. If they don't solve it whilst building Toy Story Playland, I doubt it'll get done. Same if they hadn't rolled Hollywood Boulevard into Tower of Terror.

An alternative could be to actually dress the back wall of the building and make it look like the front of something. Maybe give it some of the Pixar Studios brickwork and the Luxo Lamp animatronic from Florida? Create a more built-up, industrial, movie lot feel. That animatronic probably cost the same as TSPL though...

Aveen2008

It might seem different once Toy story land is built..hopefully lol. Although I think there's so many things that could be fixed or made better in the parks that this is one of our least worries. But it's still a nice idea. :)
Luv Aveen xoxo

The Butlin Boy

I think thats an awesome idea, it'd be amazing to see something like that there. I do agree that it is not the greatest place in the park right now, and this'd definitely make it a lot more pleasant :)

Idealy, they'd have come up with something like this already, and just closed off that whole are to construct it whilst building TSPL, but what can you do? :roll:

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Quote from: "Anthony"... That animatronic probably cost the same as TSPL though...
:lol:

pussinboots

Quote from: "Anthony"Yes please. Very silly it has to remain a completely straight path, with nothing at the end. This decision (or lack of decision) will probably be there to disappoint us for years. If they don't solve it whilst building Toy Story Playland, I doubt it'll get done. Same if they hadn't rolled Hollywood Boulevard into Tower of Terror.

An alternative could be to actually dress the back wall of the building and make it look like the front of something. Maybe give it some of the Pixar Studios brickwork and the Luxo Lamp animatronic from Florida? Create a more built-up, industrial, movie lot feel. That animatronic probably cost the same as TSPL though...

Yes, some faux bricks (Disney doesn't do real bricks for some reason) with a nice sign on it, how expensive could that be?

Quote from: "Aveen2008"Although I think there's so many things that could be fixed or made better in the parks that this is one of our least worries. But it's still a nice idea. :)

It isn't a top priority indeed, but I suppose it's not just about that one path; it just exemplifies that whole way of thinking that seems to have eluded the Walt Disney Studios landscapers. They just don't do things like this at the Studios, they just build walls. Look at Toon Studio. Walls. And as Anthony is always saying, there are no levels. Everything is flat.

Even the lovely topiaries in Animation Courtyard (is the original part still called that?) sit in the most elementary of enclosures. Surely whimsy shouldn't have to cost that much.

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Yes, that is one of the reasons why the studios feel so "uncomplete" and un-Disney somehow in my opinion, there is practically no landscaping whatsoever. Also, this is the only Disney park in the world without a water area, like a lake! This also makes it feel very barren.

luke85

Such a simple idea, but one that would have a huge impact. It would just make that area so much more interesting!

davewasbaloo

That would be good. Or have some sets to walk through, or even props. There is much that could be done.
since 2001 (many before that)

Aveen2008

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"That would be good. Or have some sets to walk through, or even props. There is much that could be done.

I agree with those few words and it's what I always say about things that I don't find that great - ' There is so much that Could be done'
Luv Aveen xoxo

Anthony

Exploring Google Earth, it appears the Pixar Studios area at DHS is a pretty good match indeed for the size of this wall. So a bit of piecing together (and topic hijacking, sorry):

It's strange how much of a focal point those toilets are with the huge sign, don't you think? I guess that's how much of a void the original park was. Maybe they could take the opportunity to remodel that, move the entrance around, and open up space for a small store opening out onto Hollywood Boulevard?

This particular side of Pixar Place also includes both a food and merchandise kiosk, themed with oversized toys, so the whole area would be a bridge into Toy Story Playland, which as planned will (in my opinion...) be far too self-contained.

Obviously all more expensive than a simple berm, but the design work is pretty much done. For some reason, I really feel WDS lacks bricks or even faux-bricks. It's such a land of fake concrete shells, this kind of themeing gives so much more substance and character.

(Paris version wouldn't have enough space to be quite this wide)

I love the bridge across the walkway at Pixar Place too. It's completely pointless but absolutely essential (same as level changes). It really encloses the area and would obviously work perfectly here as a proper second Toon Studio entrance.

This area of DHS/MGM used to look like a boring back alley too. Pixar Place transformed it.

disneyrules

I agree this area should have some work done.
All these ideas are great.
An idea I have is why dont they add a new themed meet and greet with the toy story characters.
I only hope that we don\'t lose sight of one thing,that it was all started by a mouse[size=150] Walt Disney
[/size]

:pluto:  :mickey1:

pussinboots

Excellent idea, Anthony. This would also help with the transition from Hollywood to Toy Story. Come to think of it, it would probably be the only way to do that. If they still had money and sense, they would build something like this.

It's hard to believe that image of Pixar Place is in the same scale as Art of Animation — indeed, look at how big those restrooms look. But I suppose it's like how Disneyland feels larger because of all its details.

I suppose you kept the path where it is because Toy Story Playland has forced it there? Typical. They have all this space and yet this is the second time they've backed themselves into a corner and eliminated the possibility of even a simple shop.

And to think neither of us is talking pie-in-the-sky Beastly Kingdoms or DisneySeas or monorails. We're not talking rides, not shops, not restaurants; nothing that extravagant. This is just banal, elementary furnishing. And yet it's about as likely to happen. Now why is that.

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"And to think neither of us is talking pie-in-the-sky Beastly Kingdoms or DisneySeas or monorails. We're not talking rides, not shops, not restaurants; nothing that extravagant. This is just banal, elementary furnishing. And yet it's about as likely to happen. Now why is that.
It's come to something when you're dreaming of remodelling the entrance to some toilets.

Yes, unfortunately the Parachute Drop is built right up against the current path.

I'm not sure about the scale either, but some version of this passageway would fit there. A kind of canopy-covered walkway along the street could even be justified, since the nearest place to shelter from rain will be... umm.... Disneyland Park?

The Butlin Boy

Fantastic ideas too Ant, that'd fit in perfectly in a number of ways. For me though, the best part is that it acompanies the Toy Story area by keeping the film Studio theme running; so instead of just a random Toy Story area, you have almost like an enclosed film set (TSPL), with catering, props, lighting, and all of those other film related things as if they are backstage along the path! Perfect :)