Fantasia Gardens... underpass?

Started by Anthony, November 03, 2009, 07:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

The infamous tunnel topic reminded me of something (very boring) to add (very, very low down) on my Home Imagineering wish list.

You've probably noticed the steady stream of CMs cutting across the path of guests entering DLP to get to their main backstage area behind Toon Studio. They even enter via just a cordoned off section of the regular guest entrance! Considering the huge lengths gone to within the parks to hide this kind of thing, it's very strange that the CMs coming to and from work are so visible in Paris.

I don't mind seeing them (haha), but it cuts right through guest flow and must actually be pretty annoying for them themselves. Especially as the Studios grows and more and more CMs have to cut across here from the buses and trains, a tunnel (well more of an underpass) would be really useful.

Option 1:

Very long, but allows for a very hidden and larger entrance by the station for a proper ID checkpoint.

Option 2:

More realistic, just a small cut-and-cover underpass under the main path, with an ID check point hidden behind trees near the RER exit. Obvious plus here is that the construction wouldn't cut off Disneyland Park - you'd still be able to use the gate on the far right during the work.

If they ever need to do major work in this area, it should really be considered!

jeakat24

I didn't think that was boring at all. I'm quite surprised that the problem was identified during the planning stage for the Studios, or perhaps it was and budget got in the way.

Considering that this type of thing was one of the fundamental points that Walt made, you would think that they would carry on something so important to him, even if it did mean a extended budget. Saying that, I'm no business woman by any means!

As you say, if some major redevelopment is scheduled in the future perhaps they might consider it, I assume that the planners would spend time observing the area to see how the guests move about it, and hopefully notice the problem!
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

experiment627

Quote from: "jeakat24"I didn't think that was boring at all. I'm quite surprised that the problem was identified during the planning stage for the Studios, or perhaps it was and budget got in the way.  

Back during the planning stages, it probably wasn't a problem.
It didn't really become obvious until the security checkpoints were installed back in 2001...

jeakat24

Good point experiment627  :oops:
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

Anthony

Yes that's true, the huge "CAST MEMBERS ONLY -->" signs don't help the magic. And with its expansion there are also far more people coming to and from the Studios nowadays, cutting right across the Cast Members' route.

Remembering that section of path between the Studios and the Disney Legends statue still has to be repaved, maybe we can go for an even shorter and more realistic underpass, with a better-placed but still quite hidden entrance:

You could build a small gatehouse structure next to the existing park gates, something a little like the new Tourist Info kiosk or World of Disney concept, that could also be used by security. Then the path just disappears behind the trees.

Unless there are some major utilities (water, electric) that would need diverting, it wouldn't cost all that much.