Disney D23 Magazine & Fan Club

Started by roaldbergmann, January 06, 2009, 07:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent Lex

Quote from: "Anthony"Now, I just hope it's open to people outside the US.
My guess is not.

bigrossco

The mystery behind Disney's "Are you 23?" viral question is quickly unraveling leading up to the March 10 reveal date.

At least one Barnes & Noble store has put out the new quarterly "Disney Twenty Three" magazine a few days earlier than they were supposed to and DC blog reader Joseph has sent me the details about it.

A membership to the new D23 fan club includes:

* A membership card with a personalized charter member certificate with characters drawn by David Pacheco
    * A surprise collectible gift for D23 members from the new Walt Disney Archives collection
    * Exclusive special events and merchandise opportunities
    * Discounted admission to the D23 Expo on 9/10-9/13/09 in Anaheim, CA

That's right, an official Disney convention for fans will be taking place in or near Disneyland from Sept. 10-13, 2009, one day after the 40th Anniversary event for The Haunted Mansion. Note that being a member of D23 only grants you discounted admission, which means the event will be open to anyone willing to pay to attend.

The new magazine costs $15.95 and comes out four times a year. The premiere issue's cover contains a photo of Walt Disney looking through the camera and the back cover is black with a quote from Walt that reads, "It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell".

Articles inside the photo filled 12?x12? glossy magazine include:

* The Disney Archives
    * The Anne Liebovitz photo's article
    * Through Tim Burtons Looking Glass
    * The Suite Story - Disney Gallery & Castle Suite
    * On top of the World - cooking article
    * Finding Pixar
    * UP
    * Sleeping Beauty Reawakens in the castle
    * Writing the Next Chapter- Book article
    * Little Mermaid on Broadway
    * Spirit of 23- About Walt & company history

I just checked my local Barnes & Noble and there was no sign of the magazine yet, as it's not supposed to be placed on newsstands until March 10 when the official D23 announcement is made at the Disney shareholder's meeting.

source@ distantcreations
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

Anthony

Just been reading that exact post!

The magazine sounds brilliant, like an official version of Tales from the Laughing Place. And a Disney expo? Just Disney? That's amazing... (though I fear you're right about all this, Agent Lex)

Still, it's unbelievable Disney have finally realised they have a fanbase above the age of 13.

peep

That magazine sounds amazing, I want a copy. The biggest annoyance is that it's probably US only and will cost a fortune to get a copy sent here. The convention sounds interesting but, once again, it's in America. Do they not think that they have fans outside of America?
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Luigi

would be great if they do something like that for europe one day too, sounds really great and would like to part of it  :D

bigrossco

reading it asf well it looks more for the U.S come on disney dont forget all the other disney fans you have!
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

Pete's Dragon

Well the wait is nearly over .Quite frankly I'd forgotten all about it. I'm still holing on to the very remote possibility that 23 Blurays are about to be released, but it looks a safe bet that our American cousins are getting a new club to join.

But if so, why 23? All, hopefully, will be revealed in 24hrs........

DisneyAlba

I think the magazine looks amazing, judging from the review at //http://www.stitchkingdom.com/2009/03/05/disney-d23-magazine-review-lotsa-details-some-photos/ (SPOILERS!)

I want one!! But to find out if/how it will be available over here, the official website needs to be active... However it is a great big blank for me!! :(  Is it loading for anyone else?

Oh, and about "why the 23"...
[spoiler:1ne3s542]apparently, it's a reference to the year the Walt Disney Company was founded: 1923.[/spoiler:1ne3s542]

Argh, website, come online! ;)
You can take the girl out of Scotland, but you can't take Scotland out of the girl.

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "DisneyAlba"I want one!! But to find out if/how it will be available over here, the official website needs to be active... However it is a great big blank for me!! :( Is it loading for anyone else?

The countdown is still going, so probably at Noon (GMT) it'll be up and running

Captain Pan

Quote from: "DisneyAlba"I think the magazine looks amazing, judging from the review at //http://www.stitchkingdom.com/2009/03/05/disney-d23-magazine-review-lotsa-details-some-photos/ (SPOILERS!)

I want one!! But to find out if/how it will be available over here, the official website needs to be active... However it is a great big blank for me!! :(  Is it loading for anyone else?

Oh, and about "why the 23"...
[spoiler:3g0koflj]apparently, it's a reference to the year the Walt Disney Company was founded: 1923.[/spoiler:3g0koflj]

Co-incidentally Pixar is 23 this year... I'm getting a big blank to DisneyAlba... but I'm sure it'll be active soon... as I'm due to get my email Very Very Soon!

Agent Lex

Quote from: "DisneyAlba"the official website needs to be active... However it is a great big blank for me!! :(  Is it loading for anyone else?
Nope, big blank for me too. And it's long gone 12 GMT. Maybe we have to wait until 12 in the US, which would be anywhere between 4pm and 7pm here.

Pete's Dragon

Well the timer has gone into the minus numbers, and still nothing. Tried filling in my email address again, but nothing new from Disney appearing in my Hotmail account either.  :?

Whats the point of running a mystery campaing for nearly a month, including a timer to the big reveal, and then not delivering ?
Good organisational skills Disney, keep up the good work !!!

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Well the timer has gone into the minus numbers, and still nothing. Tried filling in my email address again, but nothing new from Disney appearing in my Hotmail account either.  :?

Whats the point of running a mystery campaing for nearly a month, including a timer to the big reveal, and then not delivering ?
Good organisational skills Disney, keep up the good work !!!

Why Are We Waiting....

According to the thing... Disney are now a day and 5 hours late!...

I'm now starting to get bored! With it...

Whats the point of hyping something to then forget to reveal it!

Although this could be the second worst kept secret of the month... Te first 1 was the Jacko   gigs at the O2 in July...

casschr05

well at about 11am here the countdown page didn't appear like it normally does instead a blank white page appeared but the URL was one I haven't seen:
d23.disney.go.com/index.html?cmp=d23_OFC_D23_vanity_23_Extl
when I tried again 15 minutes later the countdown was back.

Surely the countdown would be been set to the local time in America so there should of been something already!

or they could be keeping us waiting in spite of the fact they know we know what D23 is :lol:

edit: :lol: I opened two pages and the countdown is a little out on the second! the first says: -1 day -5 hours -34 minutes and -44 seconds
the second says -1 day -5hours - 35 minutes and - 54 seconds

Willow

The proper website is up again now.
It has information on all the different aspects of D23.

$74 is very expensive for me (not even taking into account the poor exchange rate and how much us UK residents will be robbed by customs).

There isn't enough Theme Park specific parts for me to buy it. I'm a Disney Theme Park fan not a complete Disney fan.