Wall-E statues in Discoveryland!

Started by Festival Disney, October 07, 2010, 11:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twinkle

I quite like the statues. They may be a little out of place in Discoveryland, and I agree that it's a shame that Pixar seems to be taking over the park, but what other options are there? The parks need to be updated to appeal to a younger audience, it's just unfortunate that most of the good stuff to come out of the Disney studios in recent years has been Pixar animated. I for one would much rather see this statue than something relating to Meet the Robinsons, or G-Force - wouldn't you agree?

Kristof

The Wall-E statues are actually part of the Magical Moments Festival.  For some reason, they decided to put them out months up front.

Columbiad

Then there will be other statues in other locales?

Anthony

Quote from: "Kristof"The Wall-E statues are actually part of the Magical Moments Festival.  For some reason, they decided to put them out months up front.
Ah I thought so. But considering how early they've arrived, it wouldn't be surprising if they stayed on beyond that festival now. We should probably get used to these "magical moments" dotted about the parks, then?

The Helmsman

Quote from: "RnRCj"I am completely astounded by how ignorant DLP management are now. It's actually got to the point where I can't believe they're doing these things.

Sure the statues themselves look great, but you'd have to be stupid to plonk them down in the middle of Discoveryland and think they fit.

I'm seriously starting to believe DLP are making their decisions based on feedback from 5 year olds.

My words exactly...!
~It Be Too Late To Alter Course~

dagobert

Quote from: "The Helmsman"
Quote from: "RnRCj"I am completely astounded by how ignorant DLP management are now. It's actually got to the point where I can't believe they're doing these things.

Sure the statues themselves look great, but you'd have to be stupid to plonk them down in the middle of Discoveryland and think they fit.

I'm seriously starting to believe DLP are making their decisions based on feedback from 5 year olds.

My words exactly...!

It is so sad that these things are happening. It really seems that DLRP is only doing what 5 year olds tell them. In my opinion even the characters of Treasure Planet would fit better than Wall-E. Treasure Planet is at least about "discovering" something in the space, while Wall-e doesn't fit the Discoveryland theme at all.

Festival Disney

As you can see here, the "statue" is located on a raised bed behind a fence so hopefully it should keep the kids off...  :roll:

Found on Disney Gazette
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

Reiana

I think they fit perfectly. They are not to big. Not i the middle of the way. A nice touch. But I'm afraid the fence and the flower bed keep kids off from climbing.
I'm afraid parents will have their kids standing on the fence to have their picture taken with Wall-E and Eve.

Terkina

Why do I get the feeling that Disneyland Paris is tourning into Pixar Paris  ](*,)
Disneyland 1981, 1986
Walt Disney World 1986, 1990
Disneyland Paris 1995, 2011

sebassah

I think it looks great... great picture opp.

GaryL

I think it looks good and would seem to fit with what my understanding of Discoveryland is supposed to be about.  Can't see the problem with updating the park with pieces like this.

Anthony

I do like how Eve actually floats there supported only by WALL-E's hand, very smart. They also did a good job with that raised concrete matching the rest of Discoveryland's rocks.

Quote from: "Terkina"Why do I get the feeling that Disneyland Paris is tourning into Pixar Paris  ](*,)
Because Pixar are the only ones who've had a successful animated film in the past decade? I'm more concerned that the place seems to be turning into just a Madame Tussauds-style series of photo locations. Never mind actually stepping into or riding through those great environments Pixar create, like we should be doing in Disneyland, it's enough now for Disney to drop in a static fibreglass model for you to stand in front of for your Facebook picture.

Lucky we were spared the Hong Kong Buzz Lightyear statue back in 2006, anyway...

Terkina

Anthony I agree with you about the concern that Disney is turning into a Madame Tussaud.
Disneyland 1981, 1986
Walt Disney World 1986, 1990
Disneyland Paris 1995, 2011

dagobert

Quote from: "Anthony"I do like how Eve actually floats there supported only by WALL-E's hand, very smart. They also did a good job with that raised concrete matching the rest of Discoveryland's rocks.

Quote from: "Terkina"Why do I get the feeling that Disneyland Paris is tourning into Pixar Paris  ](*,)
Because Pixar are the only ones who've had a successful animated film in the past decade? I'm more concerned that the place seems to be turning into just a Madame Tussauds-style series of photo locations. Never mind actually stepping into or riding through those great environments Pixar create, like we should be doing in Disneyland, it's enough now for Disney to drop in a static fibreglass model for you to stand in front of for your Facebook picture.

Lucky we were spared the Hong Kong Buzz Lightyear statue back in 2006, anyway...

In my opinion the Buzz Lightyears in DLRP (Discoveryland, TSPL) don't look any better than the one in HKDL. Anthony, your quote about Madame Tussauds made me think. Wasn't Disneyland created to experience the movies? It annoys me that there is no money for great attractions, but each year Disney brings statues to the parks and no one can tell me that they are cheap. In fact they look fine and not cheap.

Now there are Pixar statues in Frontierland and Discoveryland, Disney and Pixar figures on the balcony of Main Street Station. I'm curious when they will invade the rest of the resort.

dagobert

TDLFAN over at micechat.com posted that the Wall-E statues could be the same that have been taken down a few weeks ago at Tokyo Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Afterwards they were sent to DLRP.