Tripadvisor reviews

Started by Disney_Dad, September 12, 2010, 09:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disney_Dad

I don't know how many visitors to this site have checked reviews of Disneyland Park at Tripadvisor, but many of them a very negative (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R ... rance.html).  Most of the complaints are familiar ones: long lines, expensive food, rude guests etc.  In some instances the complaints are justifiable, e.g. what were they thinking when they installed three low capacity rides in TSPL in  the wake of the Crush's Coaster capacity fiasco?  

Having said this many of the problems encountered could be overcome by better knowledge of the park and attendance patterns.  For starters, I'm sure many of these people would have had better experiences if their first visits had taken place at less busy times of the year.  Also knowing that it is absolutely necessary to arrive at opening time before the queues build up; to use fastpass where possible; to see shows and parades rather than attractions in the afternoon when the crowds are thickest; to reserve a restaurant table in advance to avoid waiting etc.  This sort of knowledge can transform a potentially troublesome visit into a successful one.

I think DLP needs to do a better job of getting this information out to the public to avoid the sort of damaging publicity we see at Tripadvisor.  For our part, we can post our own experiences on that website, explaining how to avoid all the pitfalls and letting people know that a visit to DLP can be a happy experience.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Clara2141

I think whilst it would help DLP's image and possibly make some people happier if this information was given out, people visiting for the first time need to take responsibility and do their research too. That might sound harsh, and sorry if it does but please see my justification below.

I would never visit a city or country I didn't know without buying a guide book or reading up on the internet - DLP is no different. Also, I can only say this form a UK point of view but surely most people know that during the holidays the theme parks get crowded here - DLP is always going to be the same surely?
Sequoia Lodge - July 1997
Santa Fe - July 2001
Day Trip - Sept 2009
Cheyenne - Feb 2010

Santa Fe - Nov 2010
Santa Fe - Feb 2011

I\'ve imagined being here like this so many times before, reaching out to take your hand as the butterflies in me soar

dagobert

Quote from: "Clara2141"I think whilst it would help DLP's image and possibly make some people happier if this information was given out, people visiting for the first time need to take responsibility and do their research too. That might sound harsh, and sorry if it does but please see my justification below.

I would never visit a city or country I didn't know without buying a guide book or reading up on the internet - DLP is no different. Also, I can only say this form a UK point of view but surely most people know that during the holidays the theme parks get crowded here - DLP is always going to be the same surely?

You are so right. It always annoys me when people don't know anything about the places they are going to visit. In every travel book that features DLRP you get the information that there will be long queues.

But I also think that it is important to tell people that the food is sometimes really bad at DLP. Otherwise Disney will never improve the quality. So Tripadvisor is a good place to get that info.

I also would say that many complaints are right. For example the Disney hotels. They don't deliver the quality you should deserve for the money you have to pay. And I think that it is important to know before you stay there that there are better hotels for less money at the resort.

Clara2141

Oh I agree with you - trip advisor is a great place to make noise about the food and hotels. They do need improving and it's understandable why people complain about paying the premium prices at this time of year. I always go off peak so paying £200 for 2 nights for the both of us doesn't fuss me.

But I do laugh at people who complain about the queues for Peter Pan's Flight in August. Cruel I know, but it takes a few seconds to read through a few internet sites and learn the tricks. Or pick up a book and read it on the train.
Sequoia Lodge - July 1997
Santa Fe - July 2001
Day Trip - Sept 2009
Cheyenne - Feb 2010

Santa Fe - Nov 2010
Santa Fe - Feb 2011

I\'ve imagined being here like this so many times before, reaching out to take your hand as the butterflies in me soar

Disney_Dad

I agree that some people must be pretty stupid to turn up at the most visited tourist destination in Europe in the Summer and be surprised to find it crowded.  I'm just concerned by the negative publicity generated by their reactions and the impact this must have on the popularity of the place.

We had a three night stay in August with friends who were visiting for the first time.  We've been there fifteen or more times and know the place intimately, so we chaparoned them around the place to help them avoid the pitfalls.  At first they were unhappy about having breakfast at 7.00am to get to the park for 8.00 and then rushing to Fantasyland to get their kids on Dumbo, Peter Pan etc.  However, later in the day, as the crowds began to build,  they realised that it had been absolutely necessary.  

We reserved tables for their evening meals, helped them with Fastpass and made sure they had places alongside the parade route well before it started.  As a result they had a great time, but it could just as easily have been a disaster for them, as it was for some friends of ours who made their first trip alone last year.

As regards the food, we had very enjoyable, if pricey, meals at the Blue Lagoon, Agrabah Cafe and Walt's.  We always have lunch at the Market House Deli or the Backlot Express - the menu is the same at both and the food is very good (baguettes, croques monsieurs etc).  A guest visiting for the first time would probably just stumble into Casey's Corner or Pinnocchio's and end up disappointed.

Pete's Dragon

The first time we visited, we just went with the flow i.e. bypassed rides if the queues were too long, ate at the least busy restaurants etc.
Our second visit was organised with military precision, right down to scheduled bathroom breaks (ok, kidding on the last part).
It def pays to plan ahead, and there really should be more info - maybe a beefed up version of the info channel in the hotel rooms with a less annoying host (or a more attractive one dressed like.....sorry, family forum, forgot 8)  )

dagobert

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"It def pays to plan ahead, and there really should be more info - maybe a beefed up version of the info channel in the hotel rooms with a less annoying host (or a more attractive one dressed like.....sorry, family forum, forgot 8)  )

I wouldn't say that it needs more infos. There are so many travel books, internet sites and forums where you can get all the info. It's not up to Disney to tell their guests. If people don't inform themselves, then it's their problem.
And that is what annoys me when people blame Disney for their not so great trip on tripadvisor or other sites.

Samninetysix

After our Christmas 2006 trip I can't remember when we've attemped to go in the park for rides at weekends, we normally go on the rides during the less crowded weekdays and save the weekends for shows, parades etc.

YoYo

We've just returned from our first trip to DLP and had the most amazing time!  With a Disney sceptic husband and 2 young kids (3 &1) I was determined to make it a successful trip.  I bought a guide book months ago and must have read it at least 3 times before we got there!  I also spent a lot of time looking on this forum and picked up loads of good tips which really made a difference to our trip and undoubtedly contributed to making it such a fabulous holiday.   On our way home, happy and exhausted, my husband said he couldn't understand why so many people looked totally stressed and miserable in the parks when everything seemed to run so smoothly, weren't the lines for the rides so quick and do you think we should go back at Christmas time?  Ah if only he knew how much time and effort I had put into planning the trip! I think we are proof that a bit of research and planning makes a big difference.

Kristof

Moved to the Resort board. :-)

doombuggy

Quote from: "dagobert"There are so many travel books, internet sites and forums where you can get all the info. It's not up to Disney to tell their guests. If people don't inform themselves, then it's their problem.

Funny, I had a HORRIBLE time trying to find a DLP guidebook here in the states.  In fact, the book I got I had to order from Amazon UK, and it's geared towards brits.  Of the 16 unofficial sites that I am a member of (well, let's say 14, since 2 of them are attraction specific), only this one and one other are more dedicated to DLP than the other parks.  Our company intranet doesn't give me much - only a few phone numbers for black out dates on my pass.

Since I work at WDW, and have been to both WDW and DL many times, I knew to do my legwork before hand, but it wasn't as easy for me as stated.  Considering I work 7 days a week, it's tough to find the time to sit down and peruse the internet.  I have been planning this trip for quite some time and hope I am ready for the Halloween crowds!
1974 - 1983 WDW day trips*1992 WDW off site*1994 Contemporary *1997 WDW off site*1997 Polynesian* 1998 DL PAC*1999 DL Disneyland Hotel*2000 Coronado/Port Orleans*2001 WDW off site*2002 DL Disneyland Hotel*2002 WDW/HHB*2003 PO/Riverside*2003 WDW HHB*2004 Moved to Orlando*2006 DVC Member* 2006 DLR*2007 DVBR*2007 OKW*2007 VWL*2008 GCH * 2009 BLT*2009 AKL*2010 OKW*2010 SSR*2010 DLP (DLH)

SwipatronSparks

sounds like you had a bit of a tough time there boombuggy im hopeing for you that your all good for going in halloween then =]

as for me... i cant really remember how it went the first time... but after the first trip we realised that we needed to be well planed for what we wanted to do and what we wanted to see, most times we have gone, we have left the first day to just relax and do whatever go on whichever rides we wanted and just take the day slowly, the next days we plan as we go =]
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019
DLH, SL, NPBC, Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Kyraid,

upcoming trips....