Val d'Europe

Started by Kristof, January 16, 2004, 02:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Have you ever been to the shopping village?  I haven't... Is it any good? Is it really cheap as they claim?  

:paris:

experiment627

Well, there are some cool stores at La Vallée... You can get some nice stuff at the Bodum store or the Tommy Hilfiger boutique.

But even though the stuff that these boutiques are selling, are cheaper than usual, it's still "brand-stuff" (Versace, Ralph Lauren, etc.) and much more expensive than any clothing that you can get at your local H&M, Springfield, Gap, ...

pussinboots

I wasn't sure where to post this, and didn't want to start a new thread as I'm sure it's not important enough, but I figured Disney Village and Val d'Europe are going to be a single entity one day anyway. But there are some lovely developments over at Val d'Europe:

http://disneycentralplaza.englishboard. ... 686-40.htm

This is really quite successful, isn't it. It's probably miles ahead of Celebration, FL at this point.

I mean, look at that Castorama! (Castorama is a big box store — imagine an IKEA in such a building!)

dagobert

Val d'Europe looks great, maybe I have time to visit it during our next visit.

davewasbaloo

Wow, you must get yourself off property. There are so many amazing things near DLP that people are always missing. Val D'Europe is Disney designed and partially owned. And there are some fab restaurants at a fraction of the price of the DLP.
since 2001 (many before that)

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"I wasn't sure where to post this, and didn't want to start a new thread as I'm sure it's not important enough, but I figured Disney Village and Val d'Europe are going to be a single entity one day anyway.
Ah I disagree, probably worth us having a separate topic. :)

Val d'Europe is awesome. The architecture is generally spot on, very classic and very French but not boringly so. For a modern development like this to have so few duds is almost unthinkable. Every time I've walked through there from the Etap/Ibis hotel (one of the duds, though technically outside the Boulevard Circulaire), I do dream a bit of having a nice apartment looking out across the fields to Walt Disney Studios...

The newest building at the bottom there (http://i17.servimg.com/u/f17/11/37/83/24/val_de10.jpg) is beautiful! A mix of housing, offices, retail and two cinemas dedicated to arthouse films?!

dagobert

Is there an English homepage of Val d'Europe, too? I've only found the French one.

I'm searching for a site where all restaurants of Val d'Europe are listed, because we are interested in eating there during our stay. Table service preferred.

Thanks for your help.

davewasbaloo

Well, the main restaurants are in La Terrasse (near Sealife and the shopping outlet) or behind outdoors. Most of them are table service. There are the following:

Hippopotamus - good quality steaks, not very upscale or expensive

Le Criee is great if you like seafood, and some of the indoor tables have views into the Sea Life Aquariums. Wonderful shell fish options.

Le Dragon de Europe - It is a very good chinese restaurant and is very affordable. More of a cafe feel, but the food and service are great. And it is about half the price of Disney restaurants.

Kyoto - quite a good Japanese restaurant, a little on the pricy side, but good.

Nouro - does Lebanese and middle eastern dishes

Pizza/Pasta Del Arte - typical chain italian fare - think Bella Pasta/Pizza Express. Not bad, and cheaper than DLP

Paul - just like here, french snack food

McD's

There is a cafeteria type place - down market, but cheap by the region standards

Place de Toscane, behind la Terrasse has more upscale and varied options:

Bar a Tapas - spanish tapas bar

Good Indian restaurant that is reasonable (can't remember the name)

Yakwa Korean BBQ

Prego - more traditional and good Italian, a little more expensive

A Creperie and others.

Place de Arianne also has some nice options, but we have not tried many.

To be honest, these days, if we are not eating in the Steakhouse, California Grill, Silver Spur, Walt's, Annette's or KIng Ludwigs, we are either eating in the restaurants in Serris (where this mall of Val D'Europe is) or Bailly Romainvillier (near the DLP gold course).

davewasbaloo

Anthony

Euro Disney Associés S.C.A. has announced today that it sold "the property underlying the Val d'Europe Mall" in June for €47m, to Klépierre and AXA, who had previously held a long-term ground lease.

Press release: http://corporate.disneylandparis.com/CO ... action.pdf

Whether we should read much into this - EDA are building funds, EDA are building funds because it's a bad year - I'm not sure. Maybe they wanted to own the mall outright and it just seemed like a good deal.

david

does anyone know how much Disney bought the land for in the first place?-- its bound to have made them a tidy profit

Anthony

Disneyland Paris just tweeted a link to this interview with Francis Borezée, Vice President Resort and Real Estate Development, about the future development of Val d'Europe.

There's a lot in there, mostly about the business side of Val d'Europe, but a few points caught my eye:

• New agreement with French government opens the possibility of doubling the capacity of the two theme parks and tripling on-site accommodation to around 23,000 rooms (14,700 extra rooms)
  • Working on a "global transport plan" with the local authorities, including the extension of the TGV and RER station and a link between RER lines A and E at Esbly (this would mean the RER line extending North/East out of Disneyland to the town of Esbly, making connections from the East, such as Meaux, much easier) projected by 2030
  • Hope of building the current 1,200-student base of Marne la Vallée University at Val d'Europe into a full-size university campus of 10,000 students
  • They may need to "evolve" the architecture of Val d'Europe, dare to propose buildings which are a little more "audacious"?

There's exciting stuff about Villages Nature around page 22, which I'll post in the other topic.

Here's the link again: http://business-immo.valdeurope.net

Let me know if I missed anything else!

dagobert

Is Val d'Europe a joint venture between Euro Disney SCA and the French government? And how much are TWDC and WDI involved in developing VdE?

Does Val d'Europe make a lot of money for ED SCA, because I think Disney is more interested in this project than in their parks.

BlackPearl

Hi, Kristof,
the Outlet Shopping Center is quite nice to visit. Not so much for buying, but for looking  ;)
Of course you get some things at reasonable prices for example in the Puma or Nike stores, but also really
expensive cloths and such. (Well, at least for a "normal" budget like mine).
Nethertheless we liked strolling through the "village".
Oh, and in some of the Disneyland Hotels you get a Coupon découverte, with which you can get a discount

(I would have added a photo, but I don't know how)

Josh

I probably should point out to you both that this topic was created in 2004. ^_^'
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]