Captain Hook's Pirate Ship - 2011 refurbishment

Started by Anthony, January 27, 2010, 09:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebassah

Quote from: "JelleP"
Quote from: "sebassah"Great they are fixing it. In the men time... build some fences around it so its not that obviious that it in a horrible state!
It might me me... but I didn't saw anything here on this page that says that... :roll:

Lol I think you have seen it now ;)

Festival Disney

Oh dear, it seems the Galley is beyond salvaging  :shock:
QuoteDesigning Disney Exclusive - Disneyland Paris Breaking News: In 2011, a completely new 'Captain Hook's Galley' will be installed. Confirmed!
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

dagobert

Quote from: "Festival Disney"Oh dear, it seems the Galley is beyond salvaging  :shock:
QuoteDesigning Disney Exclusive - Disneyland Paris Breaking News: In 2011, a completely new 'Captain Hook's Galley' will be installed. Confirmed!

A whole new ship? Hopefully it will be the same and not a cheaper version. It's really a shame what happened to this ship. It seems that a new ship is cheaper than a refurb. Is the refurb still planned for the first months in 2011?

DopeyDad

[-o< Firing cannons, firing cannons, firing cannons [-o<

c'mon DLP, do something special!

Tuvok

A complete new ship? Wow, that should cost a lot of money. Now I'm still wondering: Are we getting a second version of Captain Hook's Ship or is that wild rumour of a copy of the Black Pearl coming to DLP not so wild after all? After all, Pirates 4 hits the theaters in summer 2011...
DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)

never2old

Quote from: "Tuvok"A complete new ship? Wow, that should cost a lot of money. Now I'm still wondering: Are we getting a second version of Captain Hook's Ship or is that wild rumour of a copy of the Black Pearl coming to DLP not so wild after all? After all, Pirates 4 hits the theaters in summer 2011...

No no no, they cannot replace it by the Black Pearl!! It has to be Captain Hook's ship next to Skull Rock!

dagobert

Quote from: "never2old"
Quote from: "Tuvok"A complete new ship? Wow, that should cost a lot of money. Now I'm still wondering: Are we getting a second version of Captain Hook's Ship or is that wild rumour of a copy of the Black Pearl coming to DLP not so wild after all? After all, Pirates 4 hits the theaters in summer 2011...

No no no, they cannot replace it by the Black Pearl!! It has to be Captain Hook's ship next to Skull Rock!

I totally agree with you!!! It wouldn't make any sense to put the Black Pearl next to Skull Rock.

claire2281

I'm guessing the ship has suffered some bad structural damage in the poor weather and is therefore beyond saving. Perhaps this is why they haven't bothered with repairs; they knew that a new one would be coming in long ago.

Whilst I think the Black Pearl would look incredible because it's an awesome piece of design (and it would fit with PotC better than Captain Hook's galley!), the galley should probably remain for traditions sake.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

dagobert

Quote from: "claire2281"I'm guessing the ship has suffered some bad structural damage in the poor weather and is therefore beyond saving. Perhaps this is why they haven't bothered with repairs; they knew that a new one would be coming in long ago.

Whilst I think the Black Pearl would look incredible because it's an awesome piece of design (and it would fit with PotC better than Captain Hook's galley!), the galley should probably remain for traditions sake.

The Black Pearl looks great, but it wouldn't fit there. Skull Rock isn't featured in any PotC movie, because like the ship the rock belongs to Peter Pan. So that wouldn't make any sense. It would be the same if Disney would add Captain Hook to PotC. It doesn't fit, because it is a different movie and so I think Skull Rock and the Galley should belong to the Neverland part of Adventureland and not mixed with other movies. But that's just my opinion.
Unfortunately Disney of today is run by the consumer products departement, so I can imagine that the Black Pearl could be installed instead of Captain Hook's Galley. How many young people know the Peter Pan movie anymore, but everyone knows PotC and so people will buy more PotC merchandise.

peterpanfan1953

While obviously I am Peter Pan fan and want the ship to stay Captain Hook's ship.  If they did change it, it would semi make sense with Pirates right across from it... especially if the rumors of a PotC refurb with the Movie overlays (like the US/Tokyo parks) for the 20th are true.  Still think it makes much more sense as Captain Hook's ship with Skull Rock next to it so hopefully it will stay that way :)
\":peter:\"All it takes is faith, trust, and pixie dust

never2old

Besides, they need to leave it there to respect the transition from Fantasyland to Adventureland; in Fantasyland you have the Peter Pan ride, and then when you cross over to Adventureland, you have Captain Hook's ship and Skull Rock; through Peter Pan and Captain Hook you have a perfect link between Fantasyland, and the pirates of Adventurland.  If I remember right, making this transition was one of the reasons behind the swap of Adventureland with Frontierland in Paris (the order of the lands is inversed in the other parks)

dagobert

Quote from: "never2old"Besides, they need to leave it there to respect the transition from Fantasyland to Adventureland; in Fantasyland you have the Peter Pan ride, and then when you cross over to Adventureland, you have Captain Hook's ship and Skull Rock; through Peter Pan and Captain Hook you have a perfect link between Fantasyland, and the pirates of Adventurland.  If I remember right, making this transition was one of the reasons behind the swap of Adventureland with Frontierland in Paris (the order of the lands is inversed in the other parks)

I didn't know that, but it makes sense. The transitions from one land to another are very vell executed in Paris.

Scissorsboi

I believe the transition is there on the Pinocchio side too, with the covered seating area of Au Chalet de la Marionnette representing Gepettos ship destroyed by Monstro?

I'd hate to see the Galley replaced by the Black Pearl, it's be much too dark against the rockwork. I'd love to see it as a 'version 2' with interactive features, cannons (water?) that guests can fire, wheels that you can turn and raise skeletons holding treasure chests from the deep, and maybe in the vein of next years theme, a Captain Hook meet and greet?

Too much to ask?
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

sebassah

Quote from: "Scissorsboi"I believe the transition is there on the Pinocchio side too, with the covered seating area of Au Chalet de la Marionnette representing Gepettos ship destroyed by Monstro?

I'd hate to see the Galley replaced by the Black Pearl, it's be much too dark against the rockwork. I'd love to see it as a 'version 2' with interactive features, cannons (water?) that guests can fire, wheels that you can turn and raise skeletons holding treasure chests from the deep, and maybe in the vein of next years theme, a Captain Hook meet and greet?

Too much to ask?

I think with the amazing things they did at the Space Mountian que in WDW and the Disney Dream Cruise ship some interactive thing on the new ship is not to much to ask for!

I never noticed the destroyed ship from Pinocchio. But Im realy curious to check it now! Black Pearl is a no go. A massive no-go from my perspective. The transition form Fantasyland to Adventure land is amazing the way it is!

Kristof

The refurbishment teams are replacing all wooden elements on façades and attractions that are extremely exposed to weather and water by resin (which can deal with all of these elements).  So that's why they're replacing the entire ship. :-)