Earl of Sandwich in Disney Village (Now Open!)

Started by MagicKenny, December 11, 2009, 08:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbo

Fantastic picture !! Lovely to see the Village as it was , although I don't like it much know , I have to agree it was very cold and unwelcoming back then but the sky of lights overhead was good ! I hope one day it will have a total overhaul of its landscaping , but think they don't really have to make an effort to do anything as there is no competition around and they have a captive market.

Martyn

Hmm.... the Earl is going to be a lot smaller than I thought!

And yes, the floor could do with a good pressure wash!

Adam

Quote from: "Anthony"
Quote from: "dagobert"The space behind the Rainforest Cafe and EoS seems perfect for a restaurant on a ship, like Fulton's Crab House at Downtown Disney at WDW. It would add some nice touches to DV.
That is a fantastic idea! The curved pier/decking there (what was that ever built for?) could be removed and you'd have plenty of space. It's a shame at the moment to have that curved area facing towards the backside of Rainforest Café.

Great idea. McDonald's always feels a bit isolated around there, so it would connect it nicely and obviously, give another restaurant. I expect filling the gaps and connecting all of the areas will be the way forward until enough demand is in place for a second road.

dagobert

Quote from: "ed-uk"It wasn't that beautiful, it looked quite cold and metallic to me. It was called Festival Disney back then, but it didn't have a festival atmosphere. infact it was slow and quiet when I saw it. DV is better.

Unfortunately I have never seen Festival Disney. In 2000 it was already called Disney Village. I have only seen some pictures and judging from them, DV looked very nice in the dark with all the neon signs. I don't like the illuminated ballons of today and I also think that the new buildings, like King Ludwig's Castle doesn't fit the industrial theme. If I'm not mistaken, Frank Gehry designed it that way.The entrance looks definately better today, not just a gate in a fence.

ed-uk

But the exterior of King Ludwig's fits in with the interior, it's a small castle. It wouldn't look so good with an industrial exterior. Nor would Planet Hollywood. I don't know if you've been in the steakhouse? It's a very smart restaurant inside, warm and comfortable, but it bares no relation to Frank Gehry's rather metallic and cold entrance.
Ed & David

Martyn

^ I think the vast contrasts in themes is what makes the village a great looking place. Just a shame about the ballons that are left dirty and deflated.

sebassah

So excited for this!

Festival Disney

If anyone's interested... here's a street level view of the "Festival" from back in the day  ;)
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

Martyn

Looked very plain and bland back then.... no colour or atmosphere.

Festival Disney

The outline/footprint of the building has appeared!

Source: http://disneycentralplaza.englishboard. ... 48-220.htm
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

paterdave2

Wow That looks great They sertenly got some work done since I was there 1,5 week ago.
Can't wait to see some more vertical construction soon.
My own Radiostation on Radionomy. listen to AYFM on: http://ayfmradio.playtheradio.com/index.cfm

ZINDERELLA

But how long will that flippin' bridge be closed for!!!!! I'm all for new things at DLP but
I had hoped that you would at least be able to walk round the back past mc `donalds to get to the NPB....we've got a long ( and cold) walk ahead of us at Christmas when we go!!!!
2007 Halloween- Santa Fe
2009 May 1/2 Term- Newport Bay
2010 Halloween - Sequoia Lodge
2010 Xmas - Newport Bay (the one we won!)
2012 May 1/2 Term - Sequoia Lodge
2013 July - Magic Circus
2017 Magic Circus

dagobert

Quote from: "ZINDERELLA"But how long will that flippin' bridge be closed for!!!!! I'm all for new things at DLP but
I had hoped that you would at least be able to walk round the back past mc `donalds to get to the NPB....we've got a long ( and cold) walk ahead of us at Christmas when we go!!!!

I think that is still possible. If I'm not mistaken Disney just closed the bridge for construction. You have to turn right at the Steakhouse towards McDonalds and pass the DV Dome and then follow the walkway along the lake to the hotel.

Festival Disney

Earlier today, the concrete was being poured to create the foundation.

Source: http://disneycentralplaza.englishboard. ... 48-240.htm
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

dagobert

Quote from: "dagobert"
Quote from: "ZINDERELLA"But how long will that flippin' bridge be closed for!!!!! I'm all for new things at DLP but

I think that is still possible. If I'm not mistaken Disney just closed the bridge for construction. You have to turn right at the Steakhouse towards McDonalds and pass the DV Dome and then follow the walkway along the lake to the hotel.

I'm sorry, you are right it is not possible. According to the pictures above it is not possible to take that way.