Epcot_Boy at Disney's Bonfire Spectacular.

Started by Epcot_Boy, November 09, 2009, 07:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epcot_Boy

Monday 2nd November

After having had such a wonderful time at Paris on my recent summer holiday there when I returned I was determined to return one more time this year. I had already seen Halloween and the Christmas season before, so I decided on the 'Bonfire Spectacular', and as I will reveal later I am so glad I did.
So after another painless, if rather boring, trip on Eurostar I was checking into the Newport.
Up to my room and a quick look outside, now that is what I call rather a few balconies.

These pics were inspired by a wonderful pic that never2old had recently posted on this site and I thought I'd give the idea a go here.
Anyhow, I digress, so off down to the Disneyland Park I go, signs of Autumn all around now.

The lighthouse in particular with the angry sky behind it looked particularly autumnal.

I've often wondered how the original New England seaside resorts operated in the cold winter months of years gone by. Looking back at the Newport now with the wind howling around it showed how in all honesty it must have been pretty bleak. Grand in the summer months but not so appealing in the autumn/winter. Thank goodness for plentiful heating. In truth these days, if you look at the Newport in a kind of 'Pin-hole' way then it looks pretty grand indeed still, but open up the viewer and well............

So it was through the village and then the view which is second only for me to the view down Main Street, the Disneyland Hotel and entrance to the park. Now this is what I call grand, a wonderfully inspiring entrance which just blows me away every time I see it, just glorious.

How I wish I had access to a time machine, so as to return to the victorian era and experience these great buildings that dominated the time. Whoever designed this as the entrance to the park got it spot on and I couldn't think of a finer way to introduce the visitor to the park.
So in I went and under the station.......and that old tingle came. I just love this place and no matter how many times I come here I get the same wonderful feeling, for me it is sheer delight, an introduction to better times, no matter how exaggerated this version of history might be.

My view down Main Street was obstructed because 'The Pixie Dust' signs where up and a big tree had sprouted inside the fence. Funnily I felt a bit cheated because I love it when I get my first view down Main Street but hopefully the fencing will be down by the end of the week and I'll get to see the Chrissy tree in all it's glory.
And so it was down Main Street and into Frontierland where I was met with a huge suprise........The Pumpkin Men were still out in force. I don't know why I was surprised, probably because I had not factored in Halloween when making arrangements for this trip, so I was really delighted to see that the decorations were still to be seen in all their splendor.

Because of this I was to spend much more time in  Frontierland than normal on a first day.
For those who have read my trip reports before (and remembered them)you will recall that I never go on any rides on my first day..........I just wonder around and take in the atmosphere, soaking it up so to speak.
The Pumpkin Men really slowed me down though and remembering that it was not the summer and the Park closed much earlier I had to speed up somewhat to take in the rest of the park.
However, before I moved off from Frontierland I spent some time taking in the glorious themeing of Phantom Manor, which at this time of the year looked really really spooky. The Manor is one of my favourites and I was looking forward to peeping inside at a later date, courage permitting.

Next to Phantom Manor Molly Brown was looking really spectacular as the day slipped away.

I was beginning to realize why I preferred the summer, it was beginning to get really cold and didn't really allow me to sit down and take in the atmosphere, I had to keep on moving.
Having seen Frontierland and rushed through the other lands, most unlike me, I was wondering back down Main Street as it was time to head for a brush up, a quick bite and then out to the shores of lake Disney.
As always I had a quick look back at Sleeping Beauties Castle, Wonderful.

And so the Main Event was soon to begin. I had been looking forward to this for months and I was not to be dissapointed, as I will explain later.
So here is the Laser introduction to the Fireworks, hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

[youtube:20jxlpeq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWt3iGY3myw[/youtube:20jxlpeq]

The Fireworks will follow later, and in my humble opinion they are and were, well worth waiting for.
So it was back to the Newport and a hot cup of coffee was waiting for me in the bar, which was as crowded as I had ever seen it, taking a good half hour before I was sipping my coffee.
Time for bed and dreams of delights to come.

Tuesday will be up soon.

David

The Butlin Boy

Excelent start to your report Dave, it seems like everything started well. I really love seeing your photos, I think they're great! I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of your report soon :)

Annet

Love the Halloween pictures! Great to see how I've wandered around the park for 5 days and still see new details.

ightenhill

Looking forward to the rest of the report.. Nicely writtten and some good pictures.

Day 0ne - Journey & EPCOT
Day Two - Studios
Day Two eve - Narcoossees
Day Three - Animal Kingdom
Day Four - EPCOT
Day Four Eve - Coral Reef
[size=85]WDW Florida July 91(way too hot), DL California June 92,DL California Sep 93, DLP France Feb 96, DLP France March 02, DLP France Christmas to NY 03, WDW Christmas Eve to NY 04, WDW Oct 05, DL California Christmas to NY 05, DLP March 06, WDW Nov 06,DLP Paris Christmas to NY 06, WDW April 07 DL California Nov 07, WDW Dec 07, DLP Mar 08, DLP Jul 08, DL Hong Kong Mar 09, WDW Oct 09,  DLP Xmas 09[/size]

Soap

=D>  great pictures Epcot Boy!
Some are a bit heavy on the colours, but overall great work m8!

Can't wait for more :) Thanks for sharing
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Epcot_Boy

Quote from: "Soap"=D>  great pictures Epcot Boy!
Some are a bit heavy on the colours, but overall great work m8!

:lol:  :lol:  They sure are :D  And deliberately so :)  When at Disney I really ramp up the colours, just can't resist :-"

David

never2old

Great pictures!  =D>  And a wonderful read, as usual you truly capture the magic of the place. Looking forward to more  :D

Quote from: "Epcot_Boy"These pics were inspired by a wonderful pic that never2old had recently posted on this site and I thought I'd give the idea a go here.
Thank you for that, I'm really honoured!

jeakat24

Great report so far, can't wait to read the rest. I love the photos, and I'm glad you enjoyed the fireworks, we saw then last year and I have to say that this Bonfire Night paled into utter insignificance! (Oh if only I could go back to DL every Bonfire Night :D )
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

The Helmsman

Really liked your first day Epcot_Boy :D ! Great photos and story behind them! I can't wait for the rest of it!
~It Be Too Late To Alter Course~

littlemermaid83

Great so far, i love your TR's they go into so much detail.....
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

dagobert

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.