Tim Delaney leaves WDI

Started by Anthony, October 17, 2009, 09:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

The original Discoveryland Show Producer has left the mouse:

QuoteIt appears that a couple of talented Imagineers are no longer at WDI...

Tim Delaney, one of their top Show Designers and Valerie Edwards, a Master Sculptor have left their vaulted positions in Imagineering. It's not known yet if they left on their own or were forced out.

I wish them luck in whatever new endeavors they encounter or pursue...
http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -nest.html

Goodbye Tim, goodbye Discoveryland... :cry:

RnRCj

:cry:

Very sad to see another one of the great Imagineers leave. I really hope they did leave of their own accord.

Now I wonder how long Mr. Baxter will stay with us......

davewasbaloo

This is terrible news, though it is the 2nd time Tim has left, so who news.

As for Tony, well his timetable for retirement was to be after the DCA Phase 1 opens, but it could be sooner.
since 2001 (many before that)

CafeFantasia

Sad to hear that Tim Delaney has left WDI. I wonder why? He was at the D23 Expo just last month.

Thanks for the signed Space Mountain cap Tim, and the copy of the book, From The Earth To The Moon :-) Great souvenirs to have.

dagobert

It's very sad that he left WDI, because he did a great job on Discoveryland and especially on Space Mountain. Was he also involved with "Mission II" and "Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast"?

Maybe WDI should recruit their imagineers from the Animation department again, like Walt did 50 years ago to replace the leaving imagineers.

pussinboots

Sorry to hear that. He sounds like one of the old anal-retentives.

andrewuk

Just in case any of you haven't seen it (or want an excuse to watch it again), there's plenty of Tim Delaney in this superb documentary on Space Mountain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVA2ZuXRZTw
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

Anthony

Quote from: "dagobert"Was he also involved with "Mission II" and "Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast"?
No definitely not, although on the other hand I read yesterday that he was pretty much responsible for the whole terrible DCA entrance area... eek.

Anyone know who worked on the Discoveryland-style Mysterious Island and Port Discovery at TDS? I want to buy them a ticket to Paris.

Willow

Tom Thordarson created Journey to the Centre of the Earth/20,000 League under the Sea and did some work on the first stages of Mysterious Island.

No idea who was the Lead Imagineer though.

Kristof

Quote from: "Anthony"
Quote from: "dagobert"Was he also involved with "Mission II" and "Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast"?
No definitely not, although on the other hand I read yesterday that he was pretty much responsible for the whole terrible DCA entrance area... eek.

Anyone know who worked on the Discoveryland-style Mysterious Island and Port Discovery at TDS? I want to buy them a ticket to Paris.

He also did the Paradise Pier Hotel.

davewasbaloo

Remember that Tim's brief on DCA had a minimum budget. He was told with DCA to create a postcard for California as an entrance, and in the end he had 10% of the original budget to work with. He did a pretty amazing job given that brief.

In Tim's early career, he was also responsible for the original Space Mountain in Florida and then in California.

He will be missed.
since 2001 (many before that)