Things that no longer exist

Started by RnRCj, August 14, 2009, 04:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

In tough times, Disney used to subsidise the parks because they were the greatest form of advertising they had (yet it was not overly commercial). No longer. I kid you not, Disney went through some very tough times in the early 80's and nearly went bankrupt. Then Micheal Eisner and Frank Wells came on board and they grew even more. Sadly, since Bob Iger has come on board, the park is feeling more and more like a commercial. It is a shadow of it's former self. Really sad.
since 2001 (many before that)

davewasbaloo

Ironically, when it comes to heart, the best park in Europe that delivers much of what made DL unique in America is Tivoli Gardens - perfectly manicured environment, live entertainment at every turn, and great dining choices. It is the park that most inspired Walt when he came on his European tour when creating DL. And yet, DLP has turned their back on the ethos.

Next year I think I will save my money and go to Copenhagen instead. Anyone want a villa in DLP going cheap?  :lol:

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Next year I think I will save my money and go to Copenhagen instead. Anyone want a villa in DLP going cheap?  :lol:

How cheap are we talking here? Would you accept a firm handshank and a 'Thank You Very Much' as payment ???

davewasbaloo

Fraid we still owe about €9000 on it  :cry:

CentralPlazaPerson

Does anybody else not think Discoveryland has lost its "Jules Verne" and "Da Vinci" image?
Things used to be fantastic at Discoveryland post Le Visionarium and now since it has left Buzz Lightyear and Dance time with stitch have ruined its image slighty. I am a huge fan of BLLB but as RNRCJ said could we not move it to studios or something?

davewasbaloo

Yep, Discoveryland used to be awesome, but now, it is just a shell of it's former self (sadly like most of the lands in DLP now). I enjoy Buzz,as do my kids, but it is hardly theme appropriate.

RnRCj

It will be interesting to see what happens after Toy Story Playland and Ratatouille at WDS. Because when all these things open, WDS will have 11 toon based attractions and only 7 non-toon based attractions. So it's pretty obvious that the park needs more original stories, as well as some serious placemaking projects.

I must admit, whilst I do prefer WDW to DLP overall, there was definitely more streetmousphere in WDW when I went. Not loads, but definitely more than DLP. Cut back on the Stitch show, the Goofy show in Frontierland, and surely DLP can afford to get at least a couple of these things back? :?:

Dave, I think you've mentioned it before, but did DLP used to have live bands at the hotels in DLP?

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "RnRCj"Dave, I think you've mentioned it before, but did DLP used to have live bands at the hotels in DLP?

Indeed they did. I personally recall a string quartet at the DLH, a live Jazz Band at the Jazz club in the HNY, a pianist and folk group (sea shanties) at the NBC, a country guitarist at the Sequoia Lodge, a little can can/country group at the Cheyenne and a mariachi band (and horrid Kareoke) at the Santa Fe.

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "RnRCj"Dave, I think you've mentioned it before, but did DLP used to have live bands at the hotels in DLP?

Indeed they did. I personally recall a string quartet at the DLH, a live Jazz Band at the Jazz club in the HNY, a pianist and folk group (sea shanties) at the NBC, a country guitarist at the Sequoia Lodge, a little can can/country group at the Cheyenne and a mariachi band (and horrid Kareoke) at the Santa Fe.

Do they still have the pianist in the Fantasia Bar. He was there when we stayed and it was brilliant (plus the fact you could smoke indoors i.e. the good old days  :cry: )
I had so many Mojoitos that night, they could have chopped me up and passed me off as mint flavoured chewing gum

davewasbaloo

Thankfully the pianist is still at the DLH, just as there is often one performing evenings at the Steakhouse too.

MissMinnieMouse

Back in the day DV used to have much more of a diverse range of eateries.. I really miss the Key West Seafood place (man it had the BEST clam chowder  :D ) But then they got rid of it and replaced it with Rainforest. Now i love maccie d's, starbucks, rainforest etc but i really loved DV when it was a little less commercial...

At least we still have the steakhouse though!!  :D
"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world" Walt Disney

1993 - Newport Bay Club
1996 - Newport Bay Club
1998 - HNY
2000 - HNY
2002 - HNY
2004 - Disneyland Hotel
2006 - Disneyland Hotel
2008 - Paris (day trip to DLRP - not long enough!)
2009 - Disneyland Hotel
2011 - Disneyland Hotel

Kristof

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"there is often one performing evenings at the Steakhouse too.

He's performing during brunch as well, at least the times I attended brunch there.  :)

Timbo

One thing that has gone ,along with all the live entertainment etc is the enthusiasm and great customer service of the cast members when the park first opened.All the staff had just finished training and were excited to be working at Eurodisney (DLP) , not that everyone is dreadful now but that initial energy and joy seems to have faded a bit  now !!!
I agree about Discoveryland losing its dynamic themeing,much as I enjoy Buzz it is not a patch on what it replaced !! Visionarium was a unique and original attraction that fitted perfectly with the land,as you say the toons are moving in !!