Tragedy at Explorer's Hotel

Started by ford prefect, December 22, 2008, 09:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ford prefect

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ire ... 795073.stm

A tragic accident at The Explorer's Hotel has been reported.  My sympathies to the family.
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

smurfy74

what a terrible accident, and a horrible time of year for it to happen, not that any time is good

-breeno-

Such a terrible thing to happen at this time of the year, my thoughts go out to the friends and family of the child.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Pete's Dragon

Omg, what a tradegy  :cry: !  I know some people from Derry whose surname is Canning, and I'm too scared to ring them incase they are related in some way.

cap'njack

Such a tragic accident, made all the worse by the timing and location.

My thought go out to the family involved.

mikek1357

Terrible, Terrible news.

Almost everybody is in the festive mood, going towards christmas, when you read this.  :cry:

The Butlin Boy

:cry: Gosh, that's horrible. What an especially terrible time for it to happen too, with Christmas on Thursday and his and his twins birthday on Friday. It's tragic, my thoughts go out to his family and friends at this terrible time :(

Disney Fanatic

My heart goes out to the little boys family at this very sad time, may he rest in peace
Sequoia Lodge Feb 2004
DCR Feb 2005DCR Feb 2007
DCR Jan 2008
DCR Jan 2009DCR Halloween 2009.......
next trip DCR March 2012

Nicholas-c

QuoteSuch a terrible thing to happen at this time of the year, my thoughts go out to the friends and family of the child.

Couldn't of said better my self.

P.s. On a lighter side anyone notice the reporter said eurodisney on the video on BBC site ?
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

PetiteSirene

This is such a tragic thing to happen so close to Christmas. My heart goes out to the family. It is always so sad when a child loses their life.

I however feel so angry at the way Sky News decided to all but condem Disneyland Resort with their article thats basically headed

'Disneyland Holiday Boy Drowns'

The article then goes on to show pictures of the Disneyland park whilst only skiming over details.

Sky news link:

//http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/No-Lifeguard-As-Twin-Boy-Colum-Canning-From-Derry-NI-Drowns-Near-Disneyland-Paris-Resort/Article/200812415191212?lpos=UK_News_Top_Stories_Header_3&lid=ARTICLE_15191212_No_Lifeguard_As_Twin_Boy_Colum_Canning_From_Derry%2C_NI%2C_Drowns_Near_Disneyland_Paris_Resort

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

disneymadchris

To be fair, it does not once criticise Disney itself, just the hotel where the accident occured which, when there was no lifeguard, the writer has every right to do so.

Some people on here can never accept criticism of anything to do with their beloved Disney - a young boy has died, and, instead of picking out inaccuracies with Sky News articles, the least we can do is to pay our respects to the family and leave them in peace. Who cares, at a time like this, whether it is called Euro Disney or not, for example? Certainly not me . . .

PetiteSirene

Also to be fair the implication is in the way the article is presented. One look at that article without reading it.... what would you think?

As well as the fact that I have expressed my thoughts and wishes to this boys family on other sites apart from this dont call me a fan boy just because I point out that some media sites like making people think badly of companies just because something bad happens near it.

This incident would have been tragic no matter where it was, however I know that if this had happened in a random hotel on the continent it wouldnt have recieved as much media attention. I made the post because I am disgusted that the media leeches onto this story just because its near Disneyland.

At the end of the day a child has lost his life, thats the saddest thing, why he lost his life is up for investigation in the hotel. Nothing else should matter, not where the hotel is, but how and why.

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia

disneymadchris

But this hotel is connected to the Disneyland Resort, so it is obvious that they are going to mention that in the article. If it was a completely separate incident in a completely separate hotel, then fair enough, it would be wrong to link it to an attraction simply due to it's proximity, but when a death has occured at a Disney-related hotel then it has to be included.

PetiteSirene

I am not saying it shouldnt be mentioned, I have read a few reports on this, but the sky report was the only one that showed photos of the resort and linking them so closely. All of them mention they were going to Disney, and yes it is a hotel linked to Disney, but Sky news took the link to the park way too far.

But I am going to leave it all there, I understand how you could have read my post from the wrong view. But as per my first post, my thoughts are with the family and brother.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia

disneymadchris

OK. It seems we have both misunderstood each other slightly, and I am sorry if I came across too strongly. The story just shocked me and I probably reacted in the wrong way.

As you rightly say, all that matters is that we give our sincere condolensces to the bereaved. I can't imagine how they are feeling . . .  :(