Boot Hill - Thunder Mesa's Dead Centre

Started by Magic M, October 16, 2008, 02:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magic M

One of the lesser discovered parts of Frontierland is its well-stocked graveyard to the right-hand side of Phantom Manor.

Boot Hill is a morbid mockery is full of comedy gravestones and witty epitaths.  It seems oddly out-of-place in the "carefree" world of Disney but perfectly in-keeping with the "happy haunts" of Ravenswood Manor.

I read on the Internet than one of the tombs is based on Poe's "Tell Tale Heart" and you can feel the heart beating if you touch the right gravestone.  Can anyone confirm this and which gravestone is it?

MM

Riebi

I never heard that it´s based on poe but that you can hear melanie ravenwoods heart. But with all this stories about the mansion why not poe  :mrgreen:

You can´t "feel" the heart but you can hear it.

It´s the big one in the middle:

You must press your ear again it and then you can hear the beating heart.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Frederico

Man I am going to try that, I never knew about the beating heart!!
Talkin \'bout the midnight rambler

Alpop

Yep, I just posted this on on hidden DLRP too
http://www.hiddendlrp.com/?p=146

There are a few good secrets around that area.

Kristof

The inscriptions on the graves are quite funny... I've a few on Photos Magiques here.

My favourite is this one:

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "Riebi"You must press your ear again it and then you can hear the beating heart.

They must have turned the volume up cause I was able to hear it from a couple of feet away.

pussinboots

It's perfectly plausible that they were inspired by Poe, I suppose.

(Anyone remember Lisa Simpson's take on it?)

Snow_White_Girl

My favourite epitaph on Boot Hill is (something like): "Quarrelled and fought as man and wife. Now silent together beyond this life." It makes me giggle every time I see it! :lol:
There's a full list of the epitaphs here.

The beating heart is very freaky, it scared me the first time I heard it!

\":lamp:\"

never2old

Quote from: "Snow_White_Girl"My favourite epitaph on Boot Hill is (something like): "Quarrelled and fought as man and wife. Now silent together beyond this life." It makes me giggle every time I see it! :lol:
There's a full list of the epitaphs here.

The beating heart is very freaky, it scared me the first time I heard it!

Thanks for that link SWG, great to read all those again! My favourite is the Kept the Master Happy / Kept the Master Happier one  :lol:

MinniesBestPal

I don't know if its on Boot hill, or if I've seen this as a joke elsewhere, but isn't there one that has:

Name (I don't know what it is!)
Date of Birth and death (Again, I don't know what it is!)
And the quote: "I told you I was sick!"

Willow

Alton Towers also have some very funny Tombstones which were built before Phantom Manor was. Shame the Duel extended queue is never used so not many people have seen them.

toonarmylass

Quote from: "MinniesBestPal"I don't know if its on Boot hill, or if I've seen this as a joke elsewhere, but isn't there one that has:

Name (I don't know what it is!)
Date of Birth and death (Again, I don't know what it is!)
And the quote: "I told you I was sick!"
i think thatwas what spike milligan has on his gravestone.

miss disney fan

Quote from: "Willow"Alton Towers also have some very funny Tombstones which were built before Phantom Manor was. Shame the Duel extended queue is never used so not many people have seen them.

if you go up alton towers over the next two weeks the extended queue line is open as there only letting a certain amout of people in duel for the scare fest their having, so the queue is longer than normal

Willow

Quote from: "miss disney fan"
Quote from: "Willow"Alton Towers also have some very funny Tombstones which were built before Phantom Manor was. Shame the Duel extended queue is never used so not many people have seen them.

if you go up alton towers over the next two weeks the extended queue line is open as there only letting a certain amout of people in duel for the scare fest their having, so the queue is longer than normal

Yeah, Im going in a few weeks. I'll have to get some photos of the gravestones as the last time I used the extended was was 2 years ago at Electric Towers.

Javey74

Did you know that the Ma Ballard inscription, 'Over my dead body' does not mean in the literal sense that we all use.  Ma Ballard had a disease that affected her spine as she got older her back arched further forward, before she died her back was so arched that she was nearly touching her own feet.. :wink:

So basically to get past her you could leap frog over her head and back, since she was stooped so low.. :mrgreen: