Disney's Stars 'n' Cars

Started by Kristof, January 16, 2006, 07:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

I was hoping we might see some unusual characters in the mix. Instead, they are the same as always. Very disappointing.
since 2001 (many before that)

ford prefect

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"I was hoping we might see some unusual characters in the mix. Instead, they are the same as always. Very disappointing.

](*,) I am looking to seeing the show.  People want to be entertained with familiar things from their childhood or present.  Less popular characters are less popular for a reason.

Try not to be grumpy for the sake of it.  

Disney artistry is based on the cartoon and should be celebrated.
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "ford prefect"
Quote from: "davewasbaloo"I was hoping we might see some unusual characters in the mix. Instead, they are the same as always. Very disappointing.

](*,) I am looking to seeing the show.  People want to be entertained with familiar things from their childhood or present.  Less popular characters are less popular for a reason.

I don't mind that this has toons, but when we saw it on numerous occasions in WDW, there were other characters from Playhouse Disney, Power Rangers, Muppets, Hades from Hercules etc. So when they were bringing the cars to Paris, I was hoping we would see some different  characters on offer than the ones we always see in Paris, as well as some of the stand bys.

I as looking forward to it too, but I am disappointed to see the same old same old.  :roll:  :twisted:

Pete's Dragon

Well, you could hold your breath and hope that it'll be a trial run at first. Then depending on the popularity of the parade, they might tailor it at a later date.

N.B. But if you start to feel faint, start breathing again. :wink:

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "ford prefect"

I am not grumpy for the sake of it. Disney used to be about soooo much more. In it's time True Life Adventures, 20K Leagues, TV shows were all cutting edge. When Walt opened DL, the toons were relegated to one area of the park, with other edutainment themes coming forward.  If surveys asked people what they expected from parks when DL opened, people would have said thrill rides and spinners. Instead we had cowboy towns and jungle cruises, rockets to the future and fairytale castles.

Instead of marketing surveys, Walt created pirate adventures, shrunk you to the size of the atom, built a house for the afterlife, and provided the at the time, 8th largest fleet of subs in the world. Without these feats of creativity and innovation, there would never be a DLP! So forgive me If cardboard toons and cardboard fans chap my hide.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Well, you could hold your breath and hope that it'll be a trial run at first. Then depending on the popularity of the parade, they might tailor it at a later date.

N.B. But if you start to feel faint, start breathing again. :wink:

well why should they bother when a) it would cost more and b) the European fans would not appreciate it.

Waste of time and money I suppose.

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"well why should they bother when a) it would cost more and b) the European fans would not appreciate it.

Waste of time and money I suppose.

How much would it realy cost to respray a car, and stick a different character in the passenger seat?

ford prefect

Granted, but the media considers the halcyon days of the early fifties to be over.  The sophistication demanded by modern media (but not the viewers) is so technologically different that until recently people's attention spans were deemed to be miniscule.

The spate of remakes (20000 Leagues etc) suggests that the powers that be are beginning to realise that people do want more.  

in the present climate companies have to play safe and provide the simple entertainment rather than take a gamble.

If the money was to be available and somebody was to produce a ride/attraction of the sort we both want then possibly it would blow the socks off the competition.

Sadly, nobody is prepared to invest the money this year.
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

zanderstarz

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"we saw it on numerous occasions in WDW, there were other characters from Playhouse Disney, Power Rangers, Muppets, Hades from Hercules etc. So when they were bringing the cars to Paris, I was hoping we would see some different  characters

well you were told a while ago that those characters would not be appearing in Paris...so you should have been disappointed back then, instead of now. stars n cars in paris is going to keep changing, we're going to have it for a few years so its bound to get updated along the way, just keep your fingers crossed! dont forget, we still have the unused stars wars, p.rangers, playhouse and hercules cars, there is a lot more to be done im sure!

at the 2 "soft opening" events tomorrow and tuesday, guest will be able to fill out satisfaction and suggestion forms which will aid the show directors in planning for improvements in the future.

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"How much would it realy cost to respray a car, and stick a different character in the passenger seat?

a huge amount! you'd be very surprised! stars n cars has a very big budget but paying for the royalties of using the characters takes up most of that.

on a nicer side...daisy, donald, mickey, minnie, goofy all have brand new costumes, very pretty! stitch is wearing his elvis costume and the "drivers" (they also get out of the cars and dance) all have new costumes too. its all very pretty and cute!
~ just like we dreamed it ~

Owain

Quote from: "zanderstarz"a huge amount! you'd be very surprised! stars n cars has a very big budget but paying for the royalties of using the characters takes up most of that.

Can some one explain to me the royalties ?

zanderstarz

Quote from: "Owain"
Quote from: "zanderstarz"a huge amount! you'd be very surprised! stars n cars has a very big budget but paying for the royalties of using the characters takes up most of that.

Can some one explain to me the royalties ?

the legal rights to use the characters. royalties are fees that EuroDisney Associates SCA (and infact EVERY disney park) must pay to the Walt Disney Company to be able to have characters/music/film references (basically anything) in the parks.

every character costs money, everytime a character is sent into the park, it must be paid for, evertime a voice is recorded for a character it must be approved and be paid for, everytime a reference to the film is made the approprate fees must be paid.

its all very legal and very expensive.

sometimes the rights to the characters cost more than the floats. (very much the case in DOUD).

all shows/entertainment projects have budgets, and royalties take up the highest percentage of that budget. which is why DLRP cant always use amazing, rare or new characters, they're too expensive to get, and the project budget cant afford them.

by the way, putting characters in different costumes (like goofy in doud as opposed to the 'standard goofy) costs a heap of money too! - so all be impressed when you see Daisy finally getting a new costume and say "oooo i bet that cost a lot!", hehehe.

- hope this clears it up  :wink:
~ just like we dreamed it ~

Pete's Dragon

Wow, royalities. I never would have suspected that DISNEYland Paris would have to pay DISNEY to use DISNEY characters. How mean is that?  :?

Captain Pan

Paul McCartney pays money to Micheal Jackson to play the songs McCartney wrote with Lennon and recorded as The Beatles... Now thats messed up!

Willow

I could understand royalties for Star Wars characters and the Power Rangers but not for actual Disney characters. That surprised me.

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "Captain Pan"Paul McCartney pays money to Micheal Jackson to play the songs McCartney wrote with Lennon and recorded as The Beatles... Now thats messed up!

Interesting fact, completely off topic :

The xmas carol ' The 12 days of christmas' has no legal copyright, so you can sing it or broadcast it for free. Except for one line,which is not part of the original song, and was added during the 1950s or 60s. Therefor if you play the entire song, one lucky songwriter gets a royality check for writing one line of verse. Jammy sod.
  If you think about it, you can probably guess what line he added.