TRON: Legacy (2010)

Started by Anthony, July 31, 2008, 06:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

I saw it again this weekend and loved it even more. And my darling wife who can take or leave the original also enjoyed it.

It's biodigital jazz man!
since 2001 (many before that)

penfold12

Good to hear!!  I don't know if it was just me, but their seem to be more detailed plot nuances the second time I watched it, things I missed the first time around.

And from what the articles floating around are saying about storyline for a Tron 3 should it get lit, then the story and back stories, appear to be getting stronger and stronger!

davewasbaloo

Well I didn't notice the subtleties between JEM and the bald guy before, and lots of other little things. It was soooo much fun.

But my sources are telling me not to hold our breathes for a TRON3. Iger would like TRON to become a new franchise, but it has not recouped expenses in the US market and the merchandise is not selling well (not that we have much in the UK to choose). They will see how the DVD/Blueray release does.

penfold12

$362 worldwide, $196 international with 7% of international Market yet to open... My contact was of the opinion that it was deemed a success with merchandise selling in line with expectation?

davewasbaloo

funny, my guy in Burbank states they're still very disappointed (this is not doing even half of what Alice in Wonderland did at the cinema), and any further action will depend purely on how the DVD/Blueray release sells now.

penfold12

Ah, sorry let me put in context, success as in will break profit etc, not the run away money train they had hoped for.

Pete's Dragon

Add to Basket? Yes please. I do so hope Tron is not now known as Tron Classic. Sounds like a cheap soda drink

davewasbaloo

OMG, that would be soooo cool, if I had a Blueray player and a 3D TV

penfold12

Davewasbaloo, Petes Dragon, between us we seem not only to be keeping this thread going, but the Tron franchise in the UK! The Steel Book blurry has also been announced, and the makIng of book is released in June.

I was driving around all day Tuesday with the soundtrack up high. It's amazing how when it's dark on the motorway you can drift away to imagining your onthe grid. Wow I need help!

Anyway as a result we ended up gong to see the film for the third time on IMAX yesterday before it goes.... It's been years since I have seen te same film multiple times at the cinema

davewasbaloo

Lol - and how was it 3rd time around?

My son got excited yesterday, we got a delivery through the post:

Tron Legacy Initiate Sequence. It is like a choose your own adventure book set just after the movie. I bought it for us to read together!  Awesome.

Also did I tell you guys about a cool little stocking stuffer this christmas? There were some elecTRONica tokens from DCA in my stocking.

It is such a shame this movie has not taken off as well as hoped.

penfold12

It was great! I know im in danger of loosing any credibility that im clinging onto here, but I just seemed to get better and better.

As a child, I remember having an audio copy of Star Wars (showing my ages videos & DVD's weren't about to buy for home use then!!), so I knew every work of the script and how it was said. I still do to this day when the films are shown. That connection with a film I don't seem to get any longer....

Well I started to get that feeling with Tron this time round haha! Added to that the gorgeous visuals in IMAX 3d, but most importantly, the soundtrack that you could literally feel vibrating through the floor and chairs, made me feel like a kid again. I was sat there beaming from ear to ear humming along in my head, wanting to duck and sway from side to side as if I was in a light cycle at times. Infact, just like when I have been on Star Tours!

I may be over selling it a little for some, but for me, this really is what a great pop corn movie should be about!

davewasbaloo

Sounds like we are kindred spirits (I remember playing the whole of the Star Wars movies out with the action figures). Though I am lucky, we had our first VHS in 1979 with a copy of Star Wars!  

But agreed, the first time we saw it, my friend Mark and I said it was the first film leaving us like we felt the first time we saw Star Wars!

love it!  But yes, I fear I have oversold it too. And the "flaws" people see in it are actually some of the things I love about it:

The way Isos are not really explained
There is much left to personal interpretation
The zen of Flynn - Biodigital Jazz man!

davewasbaloo

These days, movies and TV are too real for my liking. I don't watch people's lives on reality tv, I live my own life. When I see films, I want to escape the everyday world (seems not as popular anymore). I don't want my films to be too prescriptive. I also like happy endings, which many films fail to give.

this one did (all bar a few things on the grid of course). But I do love it!

penfold12

100% agree! Its the escapism that I love, and there are so many "cool" moments in this film that are fleeting, but make up the whole feel for the world and tone of film.

A few people have criticised  the Star Wars homage aspects with the gun turrets etc, but for me "boys with toys" feel wins out! The mythos created through hinting at a much larger back story and the Isos is what I love.

As for how this lives on, ive always been an advocate that in the parks, the best attractions were original immersive stories. "Ride the Movies" was the tag line for Universal back in the day, and thats what separated Disney from them. Universal for film tie ins, Disney for new immersive worlds. Thats got lost along the way with the excuse that slapping a character/film overlay on an off the shelf ride system with suffice, and sell more merchandise.

However..... Tron is one film tie in that I would love to see in the parks. Done well, with the right budget, it could be as groundbreaking as Star Tour or Indy in Disneyland. HIgh speed, dark lit but drenched in neon, with that soundtrack reverberating loudly.....

davewasbaloo

Oh ya, we are totally on the same page with all of that. I remember as a kid, when the original TRON came out, the People Mover was given an upgrade where we entered the Grid and raced along light cycles (though we kept going slow, the optical illusion made it seem fast). also the Main Street Electrical Parade included programs.

I think my biggest bug bear, especially at DLP, is it seems Disney = toons. People seem to forget that is only a small part of what the company is/was about. The addition of RC on the Tram Tour for example is aweful IMHO.