Counter Service Food

Started by Malin, June 22, 2008, 01:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malin

With all the positive changes we've witnessed lately at the Resort, I think its time the food dept got its act together and start changing the quality in food available to eat at the Counter Service Restaurants. The burgers are often cold by the time you've collected them and made it over to your table, while the quality is similar to that found at Mcdonalds. Pizza's again are nothing to shout home about and the selection is more or less the same in each counter service restaurant. It offers in my opinion a very repetive menu, lacking in any originality. I think the fare at Buzz Lightyears Pizza Planet is good and unique but the place is hardly ever opened now days. Would it hurt the Resort to put out a few salads and pasta's while improving on the selection available already, and offering some pre made deserts that are not packaged by a yogurt brand. Just my opinion what do you think!

pussinboots

Hear hear!

And however awful McDonald's may be, it's a thousand times better than the slop DLP serves at its counter service restaurants. At McD's, for €5, you get a reasonably fresh meal with a time-tested hamburger concoction, crispy fries and a soda (or a good cup of coffee). At Disney, that gets you a cold, bland burger. Add limp fries and something watery and Nestle and you're pushing €10.

The idea behind fast food is that however artery-clogging it is, it's cheap and it's good. DLP does not deliver on either.

The table service places are great, though! I've always thought it was because the French are simply better at proper wining and dining than they are at fast food. They should leave that to the Americans, haha. Ever been to a Quick restaurant?  :sick:

Clarebelle

whats wrong with Pizzaria Bella Notte???I'd rather eat that than Mc donalds crap!! and would never dream to feed it to infants.
watch ...
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pCfHA7AdjIY
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4IGtDPG4U ... re=related
to be honest I avoid counter service like the plague! its sickening try walts, blue lagoon, rainforest cafe, the steakhouse proper food!!
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

pussinboots

Quote from: "Clarebelle"whats wrong with Pizzaria Belle Norte???
I'd rather eat that than Mc donalds crap!! and would never dream to feed it to infants.
watch ...
to be honest I avoid counter service like the plague! its sickening try walts, blue lagoon, rainforest cafe, the steakhouse proper food!!

Oh wow, that's frightening, haha. But why did the man's burgers break down and not the woman's? Well, one thing is for sure; those fries aren't from this planet.

I have a feeling this thread will send a lot of people to the sit-down restaurants.

Clarebelle

Quote from: "pussinboots"
Quote from: "Clarebelle"whats wrong with Pizzaria Belle Norte???
I'd rather eat that than Mc donalds crap!! and would never dream to feed it to infants.
watch ...

Oh wow, that's frightening, haha. But why did the man's burgers break down and not the woman's? Well, one thing is for sure; those fries aren't from this planet.

I have a feeling this thread will send a lot of people to the sit-down restaurants.

I dont know, I think his were kept in those glass thinngs so maybe they were air tight, maybe that makes a difference?
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

MizzRabbit

The pasta in Bella Notte is great but the pizza is really boring. When I fist went as a kid this place was fantastic! All the counter service places had incredibly detailed forks, knives, plates etc. My mom might actually still have some from back then. I agree that they should definitely step it up when it comes to counter service.

My Disneypics gallery]http://public.fotki.com/MizzRabbit/[/url]
Use password]

Anthony

There are a few good Counter Service places, but you're right, there are also some you need to avoid. The cost is the main issue for me, even with 10% AP discount it still feels a above what you should be paying.

Backlot Express is one of the better places. They've stepped up the sandwiches lately and they no longer feel like they were made centuries ago and sealed in plastic. Most of them even taste rather nice. But the price...

You get a sandwich -- about €4.60 cheapest, up to €5.90 maybe?
Maybe a snack like a cookie or some crisps -- €2 or more
Then a drink -- about €3 now

That's at least €9.60, about £7 -- or more. Here in the UK you can get the same for £3.50.

Sure they're a theme park resort and food is expected to be more expensive. Sure they're smaller than Walt Disney World and so naturally can't offer as big as a selection or as low prices. Sure they're in Europe which is more expensive in general. But seriously... no wonder people take all those extra bread rolls and croissants from the breakfasts.

Other good places are Fuente del Oro Restaurante, which serves nice fajitas (although served in a weird cardboard box and way overpriced) and Restaurant Hakuna Matata which has some genuinely interesting menu items (though you'll be lucky to find it open). Cowboy Cookout's alright too, and Market House Deli is the same as Backlot Express.

Worst are Casey's Corner, Restaurant En Coulisse, and by a long way Au Chalet de la Marionnette.

Finally, I'll stop writing soon, but is this new menu at Café des Cascadeurs for real?

€14.00 for a bacon double cheeseburger with fries? Am I missing something?

penfold12

I agree with all previous posts, but.......

Cowboy Cookout always seems best value for money. The food is slightly different in its offer to other counter service, but more over its the location and quite frequent entertainment from the band.

I know Mc Donalds is cheaper, but the price here is not that much higher considering the entertainment, and in the winter months the atmosphere driven by the fire.

I have always found this place great value for money when you factor in the food, surroundings and atmosphere driven by the entertainment

pussinboots

Baloo -- DLRP may not be comparable to WDW, but what about the DLR? DLRP has no alternative for, say, their Bengal Barbecue or White Water Snacks*. They also don't sell things like Dole Whips, pretzels, cereals or churros (except, for a higher price, at Fuente del Oro). A bottled soda at DL is $2.60 -- about €1.90. At DLRP, it's €3.

Fast food is hardly perfect at any Disney resort, but it certainly seems that DLRP ranks at the bottom.

And why isn't there a single hotel at DLRP with a food court or similar?

*//http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrrests/whitewater030203.html

dagobert

I like the pizzas and the pasta at the counter service restaurants at DLRP. The Hakuna Mata meals were also very good the last time, but I didn't like the burgers at Toad's Hall.  But the burgers at McDonalds were the worst I have ever eaten. That's the reason why I only tried McDonalds once at the Disney Village. Maybe it's because it didn't taste like here in Austria. I didn't like McDonalds in Germany, Spain and USA neither.

We try to eat as often as possible at table service restaurants (the best one is Walt's - An American Restaurant).

My girlfriend is vegetarian so we have to look out for meals without meat. So burgers are not a very good choice.

Overall I have to say that counter service restaurants are much better at WDW and the restaurants are too expensive at DLRP.

Kristof

Quote. A bottled soda at DL is $2.60 -- about €1.90. At DLRP, it's €3.

That's not a fair comparison.  For Americans $2.60 for a Coke and all the other Coca-Cola branded drinks (including the bottled tap water Dasani, no other choice) is expensive as well compared to prices outside of the parks.  I paid for one Full Throttle (an Energy Drink) $6 at WDW. At a Home Depot not far away from WDW I paid $0.99.  

And get your facts straight, a bottle of Coke at DLRP costs 2,60 euro's at DLRP!  :lol:  :lol:

pussinboots

Quote from: "raptor1982"
Quote. A bottled soda at DL is $2.60 -- about €1.90. At DLRP, it's €3.

That's not a fair comparison.  For Americans $2.60 for a Coke and all the other Coca-Cola branded drinks (including the bottled tap water Dasani, no other choice) is expensive as well compared to prices outside of the parks.  I paid for one Full Throttle (an Energy Drink) $6 at WDW. At a Home Depot not far away from WDW I paid $0.99.  

And get your facts straight, a bottle of Coke at DLRP costs 2,60 euro's at DLRP!  :lol:  :lol:

Not at Cafe des Cascadeurs -- see above. And Dasani is indeed tap water, but ultra-filtered tap water... Although I'd have a San Pellegrino over it any day as well. But well, I flunked economics -- things just seem a lot more expensive at DLRP.

You have to admit though that the counter service situation is a lot better at DL.

Riebi

I don´t see this high price problem sooooo much like others. Sure the Café des Cascadeurs prices are a real shock but that´s the first time I say this at some food prices at DLRP. Don´t forget: DLRP is near paris. Paris is extremly expensive in food prices and you often get there worster food than at the resort for the same price. I have no problem with 2.60 € for a bottle of coke. you pay more at paris for it and get not 0,5 l. And I remember to pay 8 € for a simple water (0,2 l ) at a normal café at Paris. So don´t make the fault to compare that prices with your own home town supermarket. By the way I live in a also food expensive region and it´s normal thing for me to get a bottle of coke for 3 € at a kiosk. So DLRP seem more like a bargain for me at this point.
Same for the menus at the counter service restaurants. It´s ok for me to pay my 9 € and get a little starter, a main course and a cookie or else + a bottle of coke.

Also comparisons with the US isn´t a point to discuss. Most things are cheaper there  :wink: Look what you pay there for your jeans, t-shirts or else. And also this seems to be a snip for us, I´m sure it´s expensive for them. And look what a bottle of coke cost at india! Or at thailand! They have all the cheap prices!  :shock:  :P  :mrgreen:
And a beer at norway...no...that´s more expensive then at the rest of europe.... :lol:

On the other hand I´ve seen also a decline of food-assortments. I remeber I´ve eaten big potatos with chili con carne or cheese sauce. There were bretzeln ("pretzels" but I´m german and I´m not writing it with "b"!!!!) with mustard at fantasyland, diffrent assortments at the counter service restaurants etc. It was great to have a real choice. Now it seem you can only choose pasta/pizza or burger. Must be the same time they levelling down the store assortments to "same everywhere". I´m lucky to see some slightly changes again in the right direction. It was great to get only some pirates sweets at the pirates boutique and not the same stuff everywhere. So a expanded food assortments (maybe a bit like the early years) should be a big improvement.
At the WDS I don´t see this problem that big. At the counter service side they have everything I need :mrgreen:  I love Backlot Express with their warm sandwiches and salads. And the loverly desserts  8)

Same for cold burgers etc. I never had the expierence but if this really happen it´s not something to ignore. You pay at the cashpoint first to get your burger fresh made. Such quality problems are serious.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Malin

It seems to me the more reply's this thread is getting the more one clear concern seems to being addressed and its not the standard in food but the prices. Personally I tend when I'm on holiday to not even question the prices and just pay up and worry about it once the Credit card bill rolls in. Prices do not concern me although with todays world and the rising cost in oil and food prices I can understand why many monitor the price situation more. For me I don't mind spending more if the quality was good but sadly in the case of DLRP Counter Service is not. For a bit more money, and a short walk you can find the Village which has a far greater selection of meals available.

I also can't stand how the parks sell Magnums and Cornetto's ice creams instead of more unique items that you find at the other Disney parks, like Mickey Ice Cream bars.

Riebi

Quote from: "Malin"It seems to me the more reply's this thread is getting the more one clear concern seems to being addressed and its not the standard in food but the prices. Personally I tend when I'm on holiday to not even question the prices and just pay up and worry about it once the Credit card bill rolls in. Prices do not concern me although with todays world and the rising cost in oil and food prices I can understand why many monitor the price situation more. For me I don't mind spending more if the quality was good but sadly in the case of DLRP Counter Service is not. For a bit more money, and a short walk you can find the Village which has a far greater selection of meals available.

I also can't stand how the parks sell Magnums and Cornetto's ice creams instead of more unique items that you find at the other Disney parks, like Mickey Ice Cream bars.

Indeed. Same here. I don´t want to have always this price discussion. The question "where can I have a diffrent and yummy food as yesterday?!" at the counter services is for me the more interesting point too. For the ice cream I´m now happy that they have the whole unilevers brand as sponsoring partner and not just one. So I can get my ben & jerrys but also other choices :mrgreen:
The quality and the possibility of diffrent choices should be one of the future aims of DLRP food direction.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...