Accessibility — disability passes, questions, tips

Started by Kristof, August 21, 2005, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlebitofpixiedust

It's great you have the support from the doctor, so that's a good start! But I'd defiantly email them they don't reply straight away, up to two weeks sometimes (I've emailed them many times) but they will respond with the most reliable up to date information regarding the EAC.

I understand the need to re-evaluate who they give a access pass to from time to time because like everywhere there will be people who abuse it, however I feel very strongly for those like yourself who are doing so for the right reasons ect. I know some think it's like que-jumping but what many don't realise is a lot of the time on certain attractions you have to make a reservation and for those like my son the wait for small world is usually 20-30 min even though it's walk on! This is because of health and safety of only allowing one non-ambulant guest on per ride and rides like small world/pirates are long. I don't mind because I'm so grateful my son is able to access these attractions.

At Chessington he's hardly allowed on any rides (former annual pass holders) even if I transfer him, it makes me so upset he's just like any other 7 year old but he cannot walk he doesn't understand why he cannot go on the rides anymore. I'd hate DLP to ever end up so health and safety crazy that a person that cannot walk/had a different disability was refused to ride.

Disabled children and adults daily face "can't do this or that" so I will be forever grateful that Disney my son will be able to enjoy with me and my family for the rest of his life! So I really hope they don't change things to drastically many parents simply wouldn't cope without the easy access.

Karmaviolet

Thank you - I have emailed.  I would just hate to turn up and not get the pass now, as we would not be able to do half of the things we are hoping to without it...

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: Karmaviolet on March 22, 2016, 09:55:56 PM

Thank you - I have emailed.  I would just hate to turn up and not get the pass now, as we would not be able to do half of the things we are hoping to without it...

Well hopefully DLP will inform you of any rules and you can still access the rides let me know when you had back from them  :)

MickeyAteMyCap

The priority card sounds utterly pointless. How's it supposed to help people like myself with autism if it doesn't at least give you access to a shorter queue?  Part of the problem for me can sometimes be getting agitated more than an average person in queues and it can cause rapid mood swings which can potentially endanger others. I am sure this is the case for others with autism too.

I'm not saying we should have special treatment but I think for certain cases they should allow disabled visitors to wait in a separate quicker queue (especially for cases where the queue is, say, 60 minutes long and the parade is in an hour because if somebody with autism or any other behavioural disability is excited to see the parade, it can have a drastic effect on said person's mood which can spoil it for those in the queue and lead to conflict - not enough awareness of disabilities out there unfortunately).

polar vixen

I'm sorry have I missed something?  don't worry mickeyatemycap there's Boehm no official word in how the eac it's changing yet so no need to assume the worst. 

NCC1701Q

I don't think the system of EAC and DPC will change, but the requirements to get said cards will. And those changes need to be communicated rather sooner than later.
If the changes will be effectuated in June, people who are now getting signed and stamped letters from their doctors might face changed requirements when they eventually get to City Hall or the BPA (because of the 3-month-rule you might get a letter now for a visit in June).
I hope DLP will be clear about the changes very shortly - this is causing unnecessary anxiety and frustration (this is no complaint, but a tip from a visitor who (unfortunately) has come to depend on the DPC).

Karmaviolet

Or they may bring in a rule that you can only use if for one ride of popular rides per day or something (which is what happens at the theme park close to us) - something which would be totally reasonable tbh (or at least some quota, depending on the normal queuing time...). 

I don't mind if it changes, but as someone going in June, with a 4yr old who is not going to be able to queue unless I carry her in a sling (which I can do for short periods when needbe, but would cripple me to do for the majority of the day), I really need to know what the system will be.  We see her Paediatrician in 2 weeks, and so will be getting her letter then... Hope I get a reply to my email before then.  :-\

Karmaviolet

Well, I've just received a reply.
Not sure if it helps or not, but will copy it here -

Hello Mrs Karmaviolet,

We thank you for your email and for your interest in Disneyland® Paris.

As far as I know, the process for the Access cards has not changed.

I advise you to check our website : http://brochure.disneylandparis.com/handicap/uk/catalogue/appli.htm

Any change will appear online.

Yours sincerely,

Thao
Disneyland® Paris
Special Needs

I'm hoping this means there are no plans to change at the minute... but will be keeping an eye on the accessibility guide just in case...

NCC1701Q

Interesting that the department "Special Needs" says no changes are imminent (well acutally, they say it has not changed, not that it will not change). This could mean two things:
- the changes that were announced by the CM to me when I got a new DPC have been cancelled;
- the Special Needs-department has not been informed of the upcoming changes.

Both, to be honest, seem unlikely. I guess we will have to wait and see - how frustrating that might be.

Karmaviolet

Indeed... it's not really a reassuring answer.
But all I can do is gather as much evidence as I can and keep an eye on the accessibility guide for any changes.

Will obviously update here if I find anything new out.

nathalie

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on March 29, 2016, 01:09:57 PM
The priority card sounds utterly pointless. How's it supposed to help people like myself with autism if it doesn't at least give you access to a shorter queue?  Part of the problem for me can sometimes be getting agitated more than an average person in queues and it can cause rapid mood swings which can potentially endanger others. I am sure this is the case for others with autism too.

I'm not saying we should have special treatment but I think for certain cases they should allow disabled visitors to wait in a separate quicker queue (especially for cases where the queue is, say, 60 minutes long and the parade is in an hour because if somebody with autism or any other behavioural disability is excited to see the parade, it can have a drastic effect on said person's mood which can spoil it for those in the queue and lead to conflict - not enough awareness of disabilities out there unfortunately).

Do you even know how it works at DLRP?  Reading your comment, I would say you don't.

Usually with a green card, they'll give you a return time (depending on if you're in a wheelchair or not, some rides do have carts you can go on with wheelchair I believe?)
Since I don't get the green card, I can't say for sure, that for most rides you can also just use the exit, with little to no wait.

With an orange card, you usually go through the exit, no wait, maybe 5 minutes?

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: nathalie on March 30, 2016, 06:15:57 PM

Do you even know how it works at DLRP?  Reading your comment, I would say you don't.

Usually with a green card, they'll give you a return time (depending on if you're in a wheelchair or not, some rides do have carts you can go on with wheelchair I believe?)
Since I don't get the green card, I can't say for sure, that for most rides you can also just use the exit, with little to no wait.

The site doesn't explain it very well, it just goes on about specially designed entrances.

littlebitofpixiedust

Yes, your right with a wheelchair you can board some attractions on special carts for example; buzz lightyear lazer blast, small world and the magic carpet ride. Can't think of any others? My son is 7 so myself and another carer are able to help transfer him. A lot of the time it is quicker and via the ride exits normally, however for some rides we get given a return time slot especially when busy. Sometimes it's longer to wait with having a wheelchair user because of the health and safety issue of having one wheelchair user on per ride.. Small world takes a long time to board. I understand the rules and CMs have explained this to me in the past, it doesn't help that my son has autism also on top of his physical disability so if the wait is too long for him we simply ride that attraction later or another day.

Autism is very tricky for any theme park as it affects so many people and I do think from what I've seen DLP do their best to help

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: littlebitofpixiedust on March 30, 2016, 09:36:25 PM

Yes, your right with a wheelchair you can board some attractions on special carts for example; buzz lightyear lazer blast, small world and the magic carpet ride. Can't think of any others? My son is 7 so myself and another carer are able to help transfer him. A lot of the time it is quicker and via the ride exits normally, however for some rides we get given a return time slot especially when busy. Sometimes it's longer to wait with having a wheelchair user because of the health and safety issue of having one wheelchair user on per ride.. Small world takes a long time to board. I understand the rules and CMs have explained this to me in the past, it doesn't help that my son has autism also on top of his physical disability so if the wait is too long for him we simply ride that attraction later or another day.

Autism is very tricky for any theme park as it affects so many people and I do think from what I've seen DLP do their best to help
That's good. Maybe it would be worth enquiring about then for my next visit.

NCC1701Q

Someone on a dutch forum posted the following:
"I noticed the Donald desk room was open so went in there - you can get the disability passes here before going into the park. Far less busy than city hall. (If going to the studios first get the pass from studio services). It was empty so had a chat with the CM there named Maarten. He explained the changes to the orange temporary disability pass starting in may. It will be the same as in the American Disney parks. The CM at the ride will write a time on the pass to return. This will be the same as the current main queue wait time. So if you go to the ride at 1pm and the queue time is 60 mins, your return time to ride using the orange pass will be 2pm. The good thing is that more than one person can accompany, the same as the green disability pass. So it's not a pass to ride immediately - it just means you don't have to walk along in the main queue. The green pass remains the same, no changes, but if you don't have a blue badge they will need to see proof of disability like DLA and a note from doctor dates within 3 months."

I am not sure how official this is. We'll have to wait and see if the official Disability Guide is changed to reflect this new policy (I have had both orange and green cards and have never been asked to come back later at an attraction).