Accessibility — disability passes, questions, tips

Started by Kristof, August 21, 2005, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: twentythingamabobs on October 19, 2015, 06:45:43 PM
I never even ask if extras can go in if there is more than 1 of us, just when I'm on my own outside. And even then I wait until Dreams is beginning before I ask. Once there was 7 people in the area and the cm still said no. But you're right, I'd much rather people with needs get access than 4 extra able bodied people!

If you've got a green disability card you are allowed in the area, no matter what your disability, not just for those with motorbility issues  ;)

I guess some CMs are more stern on the rules than others. We always go in groups of 7-10 usually and I remember last feb I did ask if my mum could come in with me and my son, I wouldn't usually but he is getting extremely difficult to handle by myself he said no but if it wasn't too full it's fine so he let her in, as it started which was nice. However even with two of us around half way through he lost it everyone was staring and that just made it worse for him I think we really had a struggle getting his wheelchair through the crowd with him self harming and hitting out. We decided that time we'd never take him in the centre again it was too busy for him.

But you do learn these things and on our last trip it was much more enjoyable he enjoyed the first few scenes and when I see him begin to get a tad angry we said come on lets go and we slipped out of the park, without it escalating like last time. He could see perfectly fine I even kneeled down to his level  :) and because we stood such a distance back he could still see/hear everything. So now we know for upcoming trips! Little blessings

Guineapig56

Thanks so much for the info.
Next course of action is to get some current written evidence of his disabilities.
Last year when we went just before Christmas my son hadn't been on any sort of holiday since 2008, unless you count day trips to France! The experience he had of watching the Christmas Tree being lit was so overwhelming for him that despite being a very large 24 year old he just burst into tears. It was probably one of the most memorable moments I have had so wanted to make this years trip even better for him.

Can't wait until 16th December when we will be off again.  :D :D

Guineapig

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: Guineapig56 on October 20, 2015, 02:22:25 PM
Thanks so much for the info.
Next course of action is to get some current written evidence of his disabilities.
Last year when we went just before Christmas my son hadn't been on any sort of holiday since 2008, unless you count day trips to France! The experience he had of watching the Christmas Tree being lit was so overwhelming for him that despite being a very large 24 year old he just burst into tears. It was probably one of the most memorable moments I have had so wanted to make this years trip even better for him.

Can't wait until 16th December when we will be off again.  :D :D

Guineapig

Sounds incredible  :)

I totally understand those "moments" and you'll really treasure that one! If he's a blue badge holder that is sufficient evidence also if bot your GP should be more than happy to do a letter that way hell be able to be in the disabked spot for dreams and get a good view. Hope you let us know how your trip goes!

DLPZest

Thanks everyone for sharing so much information here. It's been very helpful planning my last trip, even though it wasn't my first trip to DLP. And convinced me to gather up the courage to ask my doctor for a letter, just in case. Even though I've been on disability for almost 3 years now, that was a tough one.

I decided to get a disability card on the 2nd day of my trip (last Thursday). Had the letter (in French) from the doctor with me and getting a green card was not a problem at all. Went to City Hall at around 9 AM if I remember correctly and was back outside in less then 10 minutes.

Because the queue times were pretty short I didn't think I'd need one at first. But by the time I got to the park on Thursday I was already pretty wrecked and figured Dreams wasn't an option if I couldn't wait sitting down.

Important tip when getting a card: make sure the CM at City Hall ticks off all the necessary boxes. My letter mentioned autism and CFS/ME, with a preference to be able to sit down in a quieter area if possible while waiting. I vaguely remember the CM saying something about the sitting down part, but because my body was under the impression that it had run a marathon walking from SL to the park, it didn't really register. I later discovered the "difficulty standing" box wasn't ticked off.

While sitting on one of the benches waiting for Dreams this could've been a problem; one of the CMs walked up with a man who according to his card needed to sit down. Other people immediately stood up, so I got lucky. But this is definitely something I'll pay attention to next time.

haribosmum

Can anyone advise if there is a separate queue for Jedi Training for a child with a green pass?  She should be able to physically take place and I'm quite happy to go stand in the normal queue for her while she goes off with the rest of the family (I understand she needs to be back at the official time the queue opens).  I know the Princess Pavillion tickets has a disable queue and wondered if there was the same for this.
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

NCC1701Q

I was in the park today to renew my AP and DPC. The CM told me that as of June of this year the rules for getting EAC/DPC will change. However, he was not informed yet of the new requirements.
Has anyone got more information about this change?

juttawdw

twentythingamabobs

Quote from: NCC1701Q on February 21, 2016, 07:19:34 AM
I was in the park today to renew my AP and DPC. The CM told me that as of June of this year the rules for getting EAC/DPC will change. However, he was not informed yet of the new requirements.

If they start operating the DAS like at WDW our trips to DLP will end. Absolutely awful system for people with ASD. We are booked to go to DLP in October for Halloween so hopefully people will have had plenty of experience of this new system by then and can report back to us.

polar vixen

I'm terrified.  hoping it will be for the better. ....although I not sure how

stifle

Quote from: twentythingamabobs on February 22, 2016, 03:56:16 PM

If they start operating the DAS like at WDW our trips to DLP will end. Absolutely awful system for people with ASD. We are booked to go to DLP in October for Halloween so hopefully people will have had plenty of experience of this new system by then and can report back to us.

I think the change at WDW was made to reflect the fact that there was wholesale abuse of the system with guests hiring a disabled person to get admitted through the exit to rides. I don't think that's become an issue at DLP.

Whatever they do with the scheme, it's worth remembering that it's about giving disabled guests equality, not placing them at an advantage. Disney needs to be considerate also of non-disabled guests.

polar vixen

I see the value in what you're saying bit I'm not looking for an www.  I'm just really grateful that tge holiday is possible for us because disney provide access so that my boys can cope with being away from home,  and are able to stand beat a character without being mobbed or stressed from a crowd to tge point of incontinence or self harm. I'm not looking to queue jump because my kids are going to throw a tantrum if they have to wait fifteen minutes.  I'll happily stand and wait for a character or a ride- just not in a crowded area.  I wouldn't even attempt the holiday in such a situation.

twentythingamabobs

WDW did not give us equality. Without the EAC at DLP, my little brother couldnt experience Disney at all. We don't ask to be put an advantage, just for him to be able to have a magical trip just like any typical child. Instead of melting down, self harming, violently lashing out and trying to run away. All of those things happened frequently at WDW.

Karmaviolet

Does anyone have any more info on this?
We are going 1st June, so don't want to be totally taken by suprise by a sudden change in requirements etc.... :/
This is a one-time visit for us, and I've spent ages researching everything to help it go smoothly...

littlebitofpixiedust

I went February (this year) and took my sons blue badge to city hall as normal and we're given his green card, no questions were asked other than if he could walk unaided which he can not, he's a wheelchair user.

As far as I know a doctors letter stating disabilities was also sufficient, however that may of changed? I would email DLP or telephone prior to your visit and enquire as they will be able to give you more definitive information on your disability and how they can help. Disney in general are pretty understanding and do try and give helpful advice, I hope your trip is magical!

Karmaviolet

Thank you. 
We will be getting a letter from our Paediatrician when we next visit (she has already agreed to it and totally agrees that DD2 needs an Access Pass...).
I am also applying for the Disabled ID badge, just as an extra back up (we don't have a Blue Badge, as she disability is a severe language disorder - she essentially has the comprehension of a 10-12 month old - so don't qualify for one).  I'm hoping we'll get letters from DLA in April, too (with the new financial year) so can take those too.

It's just worrying to hear rumours that the system is changing the exact time we go... I'm basing everything on the information currently available so it's going to be hugely stressful if the goalposts suddenly change!

We are really looking forward to the trip - DD1 (who is 5) is desperately excited!!!  DD2 obviously doesn't comprehend that we are going, but is enjoying watching lots of YouTube videos to prepare her!