Accessibility — disability passes, questions, tips

Started by Kristof, August 21, 2005, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

Could anyone please advise, we have been to DLRP many times, but on our next visit we are taking my Dad who has a knee injury.  We are going to hire a Wheelchair which i have just read is free to Dreampass holders which is great. I believe we have to pay a refundable deposit of 150 euros but I am wondering if we leave the wheelchair outside a ride and it is taken, would the gate staff allow it to be taken out of the park? 

Im just worrying that we would lose our deposit if its stolen!  I know its a very small risk but stranger things have happened  ::)   Thanks for any help

ajkirby1990

Hi

My partner and I are planning on going next February. He has a back condition which means he experiences numbness in his leg and now has a wheelchair for whenever he leaves the house as its easier and less painful than walking with a stick.

I kind of have 2 questions - the first is would they bar him from certain rides because he has a back condition? He gets some pain in his back but its more the fact that he uses a wheelchair because of the numbness which is why we want the access pass.

2nd question - I know Peter Pan has no wheelchair friendly queuing. Its my partner's fave Disney movie though and he really wants to do the ride - seeing as he loves it so much we're thinking of getting fastpasses for the ride so he would stand for a couple of mins. Am I being paranoid in thinking that people would then start asking qs about whether he needed the chair and invalidate our easy access card if they see him walking with a stick onto one ride?!

Thanks for any help!

cazspence

Quote from: ajkirby1990 on June 01, 2014, 10:59:55 AM
Hi

My partner and I are planning on going next February. He has a back condition which means he experiences numbness in his leg and now has a wheelchair for whenever he leaves the house as its easier and less painful than walking with a stick.

I kind of have 2 questions - the first is would they bar him from certain rides because he has a back condition? He gets some pain in his back but its more the fact that he uses a wheelchair because of the numbness which is why we want the access pass.

2nd question - I know Peter Pan has no wheelchair friendly queuing. Its my partner's fave Disney movie though and he really wants to do the ride - seeing as he loves it so much we're thinking of getting fastpasses for the ride so he would stand for a couple of mins. Am I being paranoid in thinking that people would then start asking qs about whether he needed the chair and invalidate our easy access card if they see him walking with a stick onto one ride?!

Thanks for any help!

Not much of the rides have a wheelchair friendly entrance. An easy access pass allows you to enter via the exit of the ride so at Peter Pan you do the same as you would at any other ride go to the exit and go to the cm and show your pass. We got on the next ship in nov. And as for the wheelchair issue you don't need a wheelchair to get an easy access pass, I have bad sciatica and cannot stand to queue for any length of time or I will be in agony for weeks after, I don't need to use a stick in disney as we have my sons pushchair for me to lean on and no one ever has any issues with us using the pass. It's nobody else's business why you need a pass, they don't issue them willy nilly and you need the correct documents from dr or a blue badge to enable you to get them. People with sensory issue are entitled to them as queing is distressing but their issues cannot be seen.

daddyof2

once.upon.a.dream

Havent been to DLP this year, just booked for December. I use a wheelchair due to heart condition, chronic pain and other problems I have a blue badge which was renewed this year, is that enough "proof" for the access card or do I still need drs letter?
DLP offsite July 2009, DLP Santa Fe Jan 2010, DLP Santa Fe March 2011, WDW All Stars Movies Sept 2011, DLP Santa Fe Sept 2012, DLP Santa Fe April 2013, DLP Newport Bay Dec 2014

Next trip - DLP Disneyland Hotel December 2015

orangarnold

Quote from: once.upon.a.dream on June 24, 2014, 02:50:02 PM
Havent been to DLP this year, just booked for December. I use a wheelchair due to heart condition, chronic pain and other problems I have a blue badge which was renewed this year, is that enough "proof" for the access card or do I still need drs letter?

I'd get a doctors letter, they're getting strict on it all again

once.upon.a.dream

DLP offsite July 2009, DLP Santa Fe Jan 2010, DLP Santa Fe March 2011, WDW All Stars Movies Sept 2011, DLP Santa Fe Sept 2012, DLP Santa Fe April 2013, DLP Newport Bay Dec 2014

Next trip - DLP Disneyland Hotel December 2015

SUTHEL3

I'm going in November this year with my friend and parents. My friend has a blue badge due to a couple of medical conditions, so we are going to apply for a pass as she struggles to stand for long periods of time.

My question is, although my parents are disabled, my dad has had hip replacements and has bone problems so he struggles to stand, and my mum has arthritis caused by her crohns which can flare up every now and then, and when it does, she also struggles to stand....will we be able to add the 3 of us onto my friends pass as we're accompanying her?

I'd rather not leave my parents standing for ages in a queue if only 1 person can go on my friends pass.

michellemumof2xx

Hi, when we went in feb, my autistic nephew got a pass and that allowed him and a maximum of 4 others to access the rides with him. Im sure your friend and you, your mum and dad should all be ok to use hers with her. Although, if you split and you and friend do some rides and your mum and dad do others, they would need a pass to access the rides too without queuing for ages, so it may be worth getting either your mum or dad, and your friend to get one. You need proof of a medical condition too, so take a doctors note or something official with you. Michelle
First trip ever HNY 15th Feb 2014
Second trip to HNY 17th Feb 2015!!!

nathalie

The CM that will help you get the card, will decided if you only get 1 or more people to go with you on the card.

You do need a medical note from a doctor, which cannot be older then 3 months before your visit.

polar vixen

proof of disability can also be in the form of a blue badge, or a dla letter, and although the pass will allow up to 4 additional riders at attractions, it will only allow 1 carer in the special parade areas, in which case, you'd definitely be better off getting 2 passes.

polar vixen

A heads up for those going with more than 1 autistic child:  2 of my children have autism, so we had 2 passes, one of the days during our holiday my hubby was feeling ill, so had stopped to rest on a bench while I carried on with the kids.  When we got to peter pan, they told us to wait a few mins, no probs, and then said as they both had autism they had to ride separately, again , no problem, so my older teenage daughter waited with one of my boys, while I rode with the other, with the plan that she would ride when we got back.  However we got back, and got told she couldn't rider with her brother as she wasn't over 18, now she and I know what she is capable of dealing with, and I wouldn't have let her take her brother one the ride if there was going to be any problem, but it wasn't my choice.  By this point my son who hadn't yet ridden is crying because he can't go on the ride.  I simply go with ok, never mind, she'll wait with the one who's already ridden on a bench, and i'll ride with him.  But NO, I can't because she isn't allowed to sit on a bench with her younger brother.  Now fair enough, they won't let her on the ride as a responsible person, but now she's not allowed to sit on a bench with him either.  SO I ask well, what can I do, I can't take my boys on rides together, and I can't leave one of them with their sister, do I just go back to the hotel?  The cast members response?  He shrugged and walked off.
We went and got hubby, and went for tea, in some respects the CM have rules to follow, I understand that, but I do think it's something you need to be aware of, if you have more than one child with ASD, you need to have 1 adult present per child.

nathalie

And yet she was allowed to wait with her brother before, while you were on the ride with your other son?  That doesn't make any scense at all   ???

polar vixen

Yup, not to me either, what's so silly is that by dlp standards she doesn't qualify as an adult because she isn't 18, yet she has to pay adult price for entry, hotel etc.  Also, she works an evening a week with severe physically and mentally disabled people, but again, there was no leeway.  The day before this, she'd ridden the same ride 3 times in a row with her younger brother, just depends which CM is doing the check in, the same as for character meet and greets, some CM will let you use your card to stand at the side and wait, whereas others insist that you queue, just depends who you get. 

Thaliel

Are there rentl wheelchairs available at the park that are fit for people above 100 kilos?
<-Plz click