Counter Service Food

Started by Malin, June 22, 2008, 01:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain

The pricing doesn't bother me too much, as I kind of expect food at a theme park to be overpriced. The lack of qualilty though, I was really surprised by. I don't think we ate a single thing that was more than lukewarm our entire trip - cold fish and chips at Toad Hall was the lowest point. We don't eat meat, just fish, so our choices are limited anyway, but I don't think hot fries are too much to ask for.  The hot chocolate in that place on Main Street with the cable car theming was gorgeous though - and piping hot.

The chilli at Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show was hot and tasty, but the main course was just bizarre - cheese tortellini with no sauce and a mountain of green beans. I wonder if there is anyone on the catering staff who is vegetarian, as they don't seem to have much idea of what to serve. If the theme of the menu is a kind of cowboy barbeque, surely grilled vegetable kebabs or stuffed red peppers would be more appropriate than pasta? Even veggie burgers or sausages would be more in theme.

Are there any veggie choices in Fuente del Oro - would like to try that out next time.

pussinboots

Pricing would hardly be an issue if the quality wasn't so awful. But it is, and thus every cent extracted from you feels unjust.

I mean, in the entire Starbucks thread, not a single person has complained about their uber-expensive lattes. That's because people perceive them to be worth it.

€14 for a cold cheeseburger and some fries... That's another story.

Clarebelle

Quote€14 for a cold cheeseburger and some fries... That's another story.

thats why I'd rather buy half board or half board plus and eat at a PROPER restaurant!!!
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

davewasbaloo

DLP has been dumbing down their counter service menus for years sadly (remember when the Deli in the village was a proper deli with french dip, polish sausage and other great deli items - now an overpriced sandwich bar). Or when Bella Notte used to do Carbanara, Marsala and other sauces on their pasta? We almost always do table service now. The only counter service we will visit are Fuente del Oro (no longer do corn bread and have reduced menu options), Cowboy Cookout (again, not as many BBQ options as before, they have started introducing roast chicken and burgers) and sometimes we do Caseys/Bella Notte (remember when they used to have a piano player at Casey's?).

But the golden rule, never eat in Discoveryland - always bad!!!!

We have nothing of the quality of Flame Tree BBQ at WDW, or Rancho del Zocalo or the French Market at DL, or the Boudin Bakery at DCA.  In the US, a number of the counter service restaurants offer quality meals and on real plates too. I also wish the drinks at DLP were bigger (but yes, I know we are in Europe and it is healthier to have them smaller).

And  the other thing is we are missing special food items - Dole Whip, Churro carts, Mint Juleps, Chocolate covered bananas, mickey ice cream bars etc. It's a real shame. Heck, even in TDS they have the infamous gyoza bun and also the flavoured popcorns.

Closest DLP snack tradition we have is fudge from the candy store on Main Street and we get a churro at Fuente del Oro as it is not a Disney trip without a Churro.

As for the lack of food courts, we can thank the consultants for those, they have introduced too many low quality buffet selections, losing the 2 food courts they had, and also killing the two fantastic dining options at the Hotel New York as well as the uniqueness of the Hunter's Grill.

For me, Dining at Disney was/is as important as any e-ticket, and while the California Grill, Walt's, Silver Spur, the Steakhouse, Annette's and the Yacht Club all offer better dining than some of the WDW and DL experiences, the dining quality at DLP overall has diminished. I have had the pleasure of dining in every DLP restaurant on several occassions, almost all at DL and a great many at WDW.  And sadly, while DL is improving, WDW and DLP are getting much worse.  Counter service being the nadir.
since 2001 (many before that)

penfold12

Davewasbaloo, I totaly agree!

The food options at DLRP, are on the whole run of the mill, and not memorable. A real focus on this would just finish off a hotel. Holidaying in the states, the food is a major part of the experience. Not so much in DLRP

MagicStar

Sure, the prices are not really cheap. But food in France is more expensive in general.
And if you have a closer look - the offer is not that bad.
You have fish, burger, salads, pizza, Hot Dogs, chicken, noodles, lasagne, garlic bread, ....
The only thing that made me sad: I love the brownies!!! But they got a lot smaller!
Same price. 2,60 Euro. But smaller than the last years :-(
[size=150]Let\'s put the Walt back in Disney![/size]

Rain

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Closest DLP snack tradition we have is fudge from the candy store on Main Street and we get a churro at Fuente del Oro as it is not a Disney trip without a Churro.
Thanks, you just made my day - I had no idea they did churros there!