Studio Tram Tour: Behind the Magic

Started by Kristof, December 07, 2007, 12:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lil-shawn

MagicKenny

Quote from: "lil-shawn"here is a video of the new route...

//http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x98dxj_studio-tram-tour-travaux-toy-story_fun
nice!! toy story playland should be quite large I see... thx for posting
Just keep dreaming, just keep dreaming, what do we do, we dreaaamm

Magic M

DLRPMagic.com has just published its regular "Closures & Refurbishments" list and it looks like STT is a getting a MAJOR overhaul.

The ride will be closed from 11th to 22nd of May - 11 days in total!

This may just mean a total overhaul of the current effects (repairing damaged parts of the Canyon etc) or something even more major... time will tell!

Anthony

Has anyone been on Studio Tram Tour since the May closure?

If so, does Catastrophe Canyon happen to look any less blackened?

Reiana

Been on it on friday. What do you mean with blackened?

Anthony

Well the canyon should be ochre and the truck mostly red, but in April it was almost completely black, either from dirt or just losing its colour. It looked awful.

davewasbaloo

Sadly the canyon was in a pretty poor state 2 weeks ago. The Truck was rusty, have the effects did not work, the rocks are blackened - caused by the carbon mynoxide of the flames and mold from the water. And this was after a 2 week refurb.

Could this means eventual history? I hope not. But the overall tour was not in a good state with the new route and poorly edited video.
since 2001 (many before that)

mehdi5

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Sadly the canyon was in a pretty poor state 2 weeks ago. The Truck was rusty, have the effects did not work, the rocks are blackened - caused by the carbon mynoxide of the flames and mold from the water. And this was after a 2 week refurb.

Could this means eventual history? I hope not. But the overall tour was not in a good state with the new route and poorly edited video.
I think actually there is a good chance the STT might be gone over the next few years, as Disney's Hollywood Studios also has it cheduled for permanent closure i think, the ride's position is just too irritating for expansions because you have re-route it all the time, wich in WDW isn't the case cause it's located on the very side of the park, whilst WDS has it in the middle of the area.

phantom247

WDS has nothing to do with Disneys Hollywood Studios in Florida and they are contemplating removing the tram tour to extend Pixar place out of nasesity rather than because it is a pale imitation on what it used to be.  In florida the land was all marsh land and when they wanted to build the water had to be channeled away from it to facilitate construction.   The only way they can enlarge the park out their is rearange facilities and infrastructure at the rear of the park or remove the Car Park and relocate at the front of the park.  Coming back to our tram tour this may be one of the best bits of News for our Tram Tour as a lot of there still existing items of intrest including their water tank set could easily be relocated to paris as well as some extra spare Trams and trailors.

Anthony

I'd be very surprised if it was closed for good in Paris. It has an absolutely huge capacity and does a good, cheap job of temporarily "closing in" the park at the back. If they removed it now, there'd need to a pretty substantial raft of new buildings/attractions built.

It is an awkward one though, perhaps the least popular ride at the resort, but perhaps also not something that could ever be improved Indy Backwards/Mission 2-style with the pay-off of a big ad campaign. Unless they added something really spectacular and equal to Catastrophe Canyon, or perhaps tying into a major Disney franchise (prince of persia..? please??!).

But still, what they could spend on a big setpiece scene could be spent on an extra, standalone attraction elsewhere. It'd have to be done out of actual Walt Disney-esque will to invest in/improve the guest experience.

Willow

As the years go on the Tram Tour will constantly need pushing further backwards.
Thats not too bad of a thing though, its only a bit of tarmac and the props can be easily relocated.

If Catastrophe Canyon got replaced I would be pretty happy, as long as it got replaced by something new and unique.
But its a decent distance away from land which is going to be expanded in the next few years.

There is still a lot of expansion which will need to take place before the Tram Tour gets removed completely.

davewasbaloo

when the Canyon looks good and operates properly, I see it as a highlight of a DLP visit. What I hate is only running 2 trams making it a 60 min wait when it could be sooo much less.
since 2001 (many before that)

mehdi5

Quote from: "phantom247"WDS has nothing to do with Disneys Hollywood Studios in Florida and they are contemplating removing the tram tour to extend Pixar place out of nasesity rather than because it is a pale imitation on what it used to be.  In florida the land was all marsh land and when they wanted to build the water had to be channeled away from it to facilitate construction.   The only way they can enlarge the park out their is rearange facilities and infrastructure at the rear of the park or remove the Car Park and relocate at the front of the park.  Coming back to our tram tour this may be one of the best bits of News for our Tram Tour as a lot of there still existing items of intrest including their water tank set could easily be relocated to paris as well as some extra spare Trams and trailors.
Of course they have nothing to do with each other, but the reason the WDS and DHS tram tours work less than for example the Universal Studio tour is because they're not really studio tours, and try to be a working studio, instead of having the actual studio like in Universal, so DLP might have to consider some day, pay every time you need to restructure one ride till it gets crammed and in the way or replace in favor of expansion, though maybe not till 2014 or something i guess, but i don't see the STT holding on to the WDS for a lot of years since it's just going outdated, and more than you can just fix with one updated set or something, but that's just from my point of view. But you have to admit, for future expansions and stuff, the ride was very poorly placed.

Reiana

Yes, it was still black, but I would have never recoginzed it if you hadn't mentioned it here.
And for the 60 min wait. The whole last week I was there, waiting time was never longer the 15min with at least 4 trams operating.

Kristof

QuoteBut you have to admit, for future expansions and stuff, the ride was very poorly placed.

The Tram Tour road is designed to have it easily altered by just adding new roads and closing others, at least that's according to the WDS master plan.