Star Tours enhancement/upgrade (EEP)

Started by Anthony, April 23, 2005, 08:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh

They definitely couldn't build Mount Prometheus, though, unless it was on a smaller scale. Sometimes, I wish they could demolish Space Mountain and build the original Discovery Mountain, but that's never going to happen. XD
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

torillien

I'm just back from a week at DLP and that whole back area of discovery land needs something doing to it .. I am a HUGE star wars fan and love the star tours ride (11 times on this trip) and it really is in need of a revamp - the one at WDW is fantastic.

If they are going to tart it up and add extra pieces like the jedi academy then that whole area seems like a good place for it to go - as it is out of the way and the theme for the area will be the same.

I agree that the Buzz lightyear ride is SO out of place in Discoveryland - it should be in the studios. Stick it over in the back lot where there is not a lot or by toy story playland - why didn't they move it there when the idea was thought of? That whole area is crying out for more - and another restuarant.

I love the themeing of Discoveryland and Buzz just looks out of place - I love the ride though.
Self confessed Eeyore nut, IT Geek, IBM Champion, and Disney addict
WDW - Feb 2013 - Pirates at the Caribbean Beach

DLP - March 2012 - Disneyland Hotel, WDW - January 2012 - Swan Restort, DLP - June 2011 - Sequoia Lodge, WDW - January 2011 - Dolphin, DLP - November 2010 - Sequoia Lodge

dagobert

Quote from: "torillien"I agree that the Buzz lightyear ride is SO out of place in Discoveryland - it should be in the studios. Stick it over in the back lot where there is not a lot or by toy story playland - why didn't they move it there when the idea was thought of? That whole area is crying out for more - and another restuarant.

I love the themeing of Discoveryland and Buzz just looks out of place - I love the ride though.

Nice to see that there are more who care about a cohesive theming than just about adding attraction after attraction, no matter if it fits, to the parks. Nevertheless I like the Buzz ride, too.

DutchBrit

Quote from: "torillien"I agree that the Buzz lightyear ride is SO out of place in Discoveryland - it should be in the studios.

Couldn't the same be said for Star Wars? Why is that a better fit in Discoveryland?

Josh

Because Star Wars is generally related to discovery and tries to be realistic (to an extent). The Buzz Lightyear ride is about a toy that's part of a fictional franchise set in space. It's got nothing to do with the future or science/discovery.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

|Q|

Quote from: "Josh"Because Star Wars is generally related to discovery and tries to be realistic (to an extent).

No, wait, how Star Wars is related to discovery? Star Trek is about discovery, but SW it's good ol' "Good Vs. Evil" and about gettin back to "the old ways", lol

I'd say that Star Tours is a "better fit" for Discoveryland 'cause it's tuck in the back, unlike Buzz that's just at it's entrance.

Q

--- edit ---

uh, whoa, 50th post ^_^

Josh

Quote from: "|Q|"No, wait, how Star Wars is related to discovery? Star Trek is about discovery, but SW it's good ol' "Good Vs. Evil" and about gettin back to "the old ways", lol
Lol. Very true. XD But I meant that Star Tours is about discovery. Well... it would be, if it didn't go completely off-course in the story.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

|Q|

Actually, i was thinking, does Discoveryland really needs new attractions so soon? I mean, it has been the second to last land to get a new attraction (Buzz) and a revamped one (Eo), while Frontierland the only new attractions that ever got were the Woody roundup meet and greet (now temporary Meet Mickey), the Pocahontas playground and the Legend of the West walkthrough. I was reading an interview to Pat Burke on D&M (posted by Anthony on another thread), and what has been envisioned to expand this land it's pretty rad.

What i'd really like to have in Discoveryland would be some theme-appropriate entertainment, like a theremin player that puts up a nice show in the streets of the land:

[youtube:346pkmr4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5qf9O6c20o[/youtube:346pkmr4]
[youtube:346pkmr4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7fSmUbKpiI[/youtube:346pkmr4]
[youtube:346pkmr4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6KbEnGnymk[/youtube:346pkmr4]

The Theremin is obscure to many people, it for sure looks magical and it's totally retrofuturistic. And i'm pretty sure there are a lot of really cheap unemployed theremin players all over europe ;D

And, more expensive but pretty spectacular, i'd love to see a tesla coils musical show in Videopolis:

[youtube:346pkmr4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJqoRaphiEk[/youtube:346pkmr4]
[youtube:346pkmr4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzx94rFWhQk[/youtube:346pkmr4]
[youtube:346pkmr4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApAF6zAlv8w[/youtube:346pkmr4]

Lookin up for videos on youtube i've just discovered that they used Teasla coils music in one of the scenes of that Jerry Bruckheimer's wicked Sorcerer's Apprentice thing, lol:
[youtube:346pkmr4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFclcSOiqww[/youtube:346pkmr4]

Anyway, wouldn't it be cool? :p

Q

Scissorsboi

It'd be amazing to see things like this in Discoveryland, but currently the theme is too disjointed to add something like this, because it'd just feel more like something out of place. Sort the area and then focus on plussing it.

I for one would love to see the area made so that it could represent the Discoveryland of old during the day, and then at night, with a flick of a switch turn into something similar to ElecTRONica with hidden neons springing to life and lasers connecting the buildings.

But I agree with above, the current need for an E-Ticket addition is Frontierland, it's been too long forgotten. Phantom and BTM hold it together currently, but it feels the least loved area to me.
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

|Q|

Quote from: "Scissorsboi"It'd be amazing to see things like this in Discoveryland, but currently the theme is too disjointed to add something like this, because it'd just feel more like something out of place. Sort the area and then focus on plussing it.

I feel that is way too much negativity about poor Discoveryland. The only thing *really* out of place is the theming of Buzz and it's shop. Nut could really be fixed with little more than a paintjob. And, of course, the messy Star Tours/Captain Eo area in the back, but that was messy since the beginning.

Q

Patrick89

Quote from: "dagobert"
Quote from: "torillien"I agree that the Buzz lightyear ride is SO out of place in Discoveryland - it should be in the studios. Stick it over in the back lot where there is not a lot or by toy story playland - why didn't they move it there when the idea was thought of? That whole area is crying out for more - and another restuarant.

Nice to see that there are more who care about a cohesive theming than just about adding attraction after attraction, no matter if it fits, to the parks. Nevertheless I like the Buzz ride, too.

What makes it even worse is that we now have TSPL in the Studios, where they could have easily integrated Buzz, too. I really like the ride, but its location is an absolute catastrophe.

Quote from: "Scissorsboi"But I agree with above, the current need for an E-Ticket addition is Frontierland, it's been too long forgotten. Phantom and BTM hold it together currently, but it feels the least loved area to me.

I think we have the same problem as with Discoveryland: How to add something new without breaking with the storyline of Frontierland? Especially in this land, everything is closely related and part of a sophisticated story, so it will be difficult to integrate a new attraction. And before we get more misplaced toon rides, I could really do without new rides in Frontierland.
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

|Q|

Quote from: "Patrick89"I think we have the same problem as with Discoveryland: How to add something new without breaking with the storyline of Frontierland? Especially in this land, everything is closely related and part of a sophisticated story, so it will be difficult to integrate a new attraction. And before we get more misplaced toon rides, I could really do without new rides in Frontierland.

actually a couple of attraction are already blue-sky-planned. A non-song-of-the-south splash mountain planned for the critter corral area, and a drop tower plannet for the area behind the geysers (although this one could be seen as obsolete after they built ToT, as it's decribed it's pretty cool). Imagineer Pat Burke talks about those in this lenghty interview on D&M
//http://disneyandmore.blogspot.it/2009/07/d-grand-interview-of-wdi-imagineer-pat.html

Q

disneyparis34

Long time follower but hearing this news had to sing up and tell everyone!

Philippe Gas, Disneyland Paris's CEO, said in L'Express that the next ride in the Disneyland Park (Paris) is going to be Star Tours: The Adventures Continue.

It has already been placed into disneyland california and disneys hollywood studios in 2010 and recantly announced for tokyo disneyland.

Brilliant news for disneyland paris, so excited :D

Josh

Yay! And about time, too! Do you have a link to the article? :D
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

disneyparis34

i got the information of Disney Central Plaza Heres the link -
http://www.disneycentralplaza.com/t1807 ... tele-radio