Toon Studio placemaking

Started by Anthony, March 14, 2005, 12:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Here's a full ride description of Crush's Turtle Twister, posted by Piscou on the Disney City Hall forum.  I've translated it myself, so overlook the writing errors ;-)

Warning: SPOILERS:

The Queue line will be covered, but will not be themed as a coralreef like previously planned, instead it will resemble the Sydney harbor as in the movie, with poles in wood, fishing nets on the ceeling and lanters will light up the area.
The loading zone will have the same theming with either walls in brick or wood.  
A hut in bamboo will be placed next to the loading station with 2 seagulls on it.

Once the trains have left the station, they turn left and go up the first lift and immediately going outside the building, as can seen on the plans.  Right before the lift, we'll see the shadows of the 3 sharks.
The lift will be themed as a coralreef, and will feature 2 characters from the movie: the blowfish and Jacques, the French lobster who cleaned the fishtank in Finding Nemo.

In the darkride part, a brand new projection technique by Imagineering will be used, which can project the characters very close to the riders, which will give the impression that they move in a real 3D set.
The technique is a videoprojection on a transparent screen, a bit like the post show of It's a Small WOrld with the little characters in the different houses.  Everyone who has seen a demonstration off this new technique was impressed.
Two animatronics will also be part of this section: 2 fish set up in 90°, so that both will be visible for the riders facing backwards.  They still have some problems tuning the double show, so that all riders have a good view on the different scenes.

Next is the Coaster part, an underwater effect will be used which is similar to the starfield in Mission 2, but it's not limited to just some bubble projections, because there will also be the jellyfish attack which will be physical effects (jellyfish on a wire...).  3 Underwater tunnels with a dry wet effect (similar to the Squid attack scene in the Nautilus) will also be added to the track, soap bubbles (as in Animagique) are also considered as an extra addition.
Projections will also be used in the coaster section, Crush and his friends invite us to join them in the East-Australian current and sea-beds will be used to give dept to the sets...

:nemo:

Anthony

Sounds great!  Thanks for the translation.  :)

I'm so impressed by how much info we're getting about this new ride - the people uncovering it all must be really talented spies!  :D

Maarten

Quote from: "Baloo"Sounds great!

Indeed! I am getting more and more excited everytime when I hear or see something new about it. I've got only one problem with the theme of Crush's Turtle Twister; how is it going to fit in the Studios theme? When you think of it, the attraction will be located in Toon Studios. I suppose the attraction will feature several "sets" of Finding Nemo?!

Kristof

This concept art comes from DLRP.fr:  :o  :o  :o

Attraction logo.  Crush is supposed to turn on the seaweed.

Queue line

Bamboo control boot

Vehicle

Anthony

Quote from: "Maarten"how is it going to fit in the Studios theme? When you think of it, the attraction will be located in Toon Studios. I suppose the attraction will feature several "sets" of Finding Nemo?!
Yep, you've got it - I think it's meant to be as if Crush is taking you on a tour through the sets of the movie, before he gets a bit too excited and takes you into the EAC set.

I was just about to post the same concept art as you did earlier, Raptor!  My jaw literally dropped to the floor *again* when I saw that on dlrp.fr.  Just where is all this amazing stuff coming from?

The artwork itself is once again really really promising.  I like the seagulls on the top of the control booth cabin, the way the queue line is actually underneath one of the Sydney Harbour piers (and so it's a bit more of an "immersive" theme)... it's all great!  The entrance sign looks good too.  Just the right size and with a recogniseable character to attract people.  The fact that it features Crush with a spinning effect will also help people who don't understand the title due to languages.  :D

I know this ride will probably eventually be cloned for Living Seas in Epcot (that's my guess anyway), but it'll still be something truly amazing for WDS to be incredibly proud of... I hope!  :D

Kristof

I can see the sign already at Epcot: Crush's Turtle Twister: direct from Disney Studios Paris!  :lol:  :lol:

Anyway, I was looking at the previous concept art today, again, and was wondering if the enhancements to Animation Courtyard will take place (the giant brush and stuff).  I can't recognize any of that on the blue print.  Anyone an idea (Kinou? ;-) )

Oh and here's my opinion how Crush and Cars will fit in the Studios theming.  Toon Studios is where the Toons work.  So basically everything that's inside the Toon Studios, is a set for a Disney or Pixar movie.  They'll probably add some crazy camera's and stuff in the surrounding area of the rides, but I think it would spoil the whole theming of the attractions if they would put lightning poles and camera's inside the actual attraction.  I'm a little bit more woried about how ToT will fit in, but they'll probably come up with something.  :D

Jorien

oh god! So there will be a rollercoaster part in it, there are also seats backwards ánd the turtle is going to spin????  :shock: :?

Then i'm sure i will get sick in this ride.......  :(  :cry:  :(

....so disappointed......... I was so looking forward to this ride....

Maarten

Quote from: "raptor1982"So basically everything that's inside the Toon Studios, is a set for a Disney or Pixar movie.  They'll probably add some crazy camera's and stuff in the surrounding area of the rides, but I think it would spoil the whole theming of the attractions if they would put lightning poles and camera's inside the actual attraction.

Theming? The attraction should be themed to a studio where the Toons work and where they shoot Finding Nemo, not a "real" sea. Actually, if you ask me, it wouldn't make any sense to pretend like Crush is taking you on a trip deep beneath the sealevel. I hope the Imagineers will be aware of these isues... :wink:

Patrick

Quote from: "Jorien"oh god! So there will be a rollercoaster part in it, there are also seats backwards ánd the turtle is going to spin????  :shock: :?

Then i'm sure i will get sick in this ride.......  :(  :cry:  :(

....so disappointed......... I was so looking forward to this ride....

Jorien these type of coasters are not that bad, believe me I have been on 2 here in the UK, they are just a fun family thrill nothing too major and sure you won't get sick on this type of coaster, plus the theme should fit in well, though like Raptor I'm confused some how to how ToT will look especially with Toon Studios just along from it. :?

Kristof

QuoteTheming? The attraction should be themed to a studio where the Toons work and where they shoot Finding Nemo, not a "real" sea. Actually, if you ask me, it wouldn't make any sense to pretend like Crush is taking you on a trip deep beneath the sealevel. I hope the Imagineers will be aware of these isues...

Have you ever been to Disney-MGM or Universal Studios??  None of those have a theming like that, and all the rides, well most of 'm, fit in perfectly.

Anthony

I think the good thing about our Studios' theme is that they could actually put any attraction they want in there, and as long as they shout "action!" when the ride begins and "cut! that's a wrap!" when it finishes, it'll fit in.  :D

Maarten

Quote from: "raptor1982"Have you ever been to Disney-MGM or Universal Studios??

Yes I have.  If you don't mind, I still stick to my own opinion.  :)

Kristof

This is a discussion board, everyone is entitled to have his own opinion.  Don't be insulted. :lol:

Maarten

Quote from: "raptor1982"Don't be insulted. :lol:

I don't feel insulted, haha!  :lol:

Kristof

Good, let's get back on topic now, shall we?  :D