Toon Studio placemaking

Started by Anthony, March 14, 2005, 12:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Try to contain your excitement... there are now piles of rubble on the construction site!!!

But seriously, it's good to see that it's *finally* starting to look less like a car park...

(source: http://www.dlrp.fr/news/show_news.php?id_news=84)

I wonder if this project is on schedule?  And don't the Disney Cinema Parade floats look *tiny* there?  :o

Patrick

Well don't know about everyone else here, but me likes rubble always a good sign in a park especially a Disney Park, yay so more rubbel wow I can hardly contain my excitment, ToT, Toon Studios, walkway into Discoveryland, Buzz and walkway between parks, this has to be the most rubbel DLRP has had in over a decade  :lol:  , yes me can't wait it will be great I can always believe that, since the studios is growing outwards :D .  Although yes the floats do look small back there, was that hint for as the park grows a newer better parade will come rumour master :P .  I mean we can all dream can't we :wink: .

Kristof

More exciting information:

[...]

On the other side of the Esplanade things are shaping up nicely as well, though at strange, cartoony angles. Toon Studios, which will extend out from the Animation Courtyard in Walt Disney Studios Park, incorporates a lot of the wacky props and crazy architecture that come with a gaggle of cartoon characters, but interprets this theme in ways that are sure to set it apart from the neighborhood of Toon Towns.

"It's not quite like a Toon Town," says Cory. "With this endeavor, we're trying to bring about the world of Toons, but interpreting how that world would play out on our studios—on a real-world, working backlot."

"Toon Town is where the Toons live; it's the place they call home," says WDI senior concept designer Jim Shull. "But Toon Studios is where they go to work. This is a place where people and Toons come together to make animated cartoons. So that leads to a very strange mix of architecture and some unusual, fun props."

It also leads to some unusual and fun attractions. When Toon Studios opens in April 2007, it will include ample areas for interaction with characters; enhanced placemaking surrounding Les Tapis Volants: Flying Carpets Over Agrabah; an area themed as Radiator Springs, the town from the yet-to-be-released Disney-Pixar film Cars, and two new rides.

Cars: Radiator Springs Spin Out will put some good Disney spin on a classic theme park attraction—literally. Guests will board one of three types of cars—Lightning McQueen (the film's hero), Sally (Lightning's girlfriend), or Doc Hudson (the old-timer)—and find themselves spinning out of control on a rotating turntable.

"We're going to recreate a moment from the movie in which Doc Hudson, the old champion racecar, teaches Lightning McQueen how to drive in the desert," says Jim.

Once the dust (and stomachs) have settled, guests can move on to Crush's Coaster, which combines classic dark ride elements like black light and intimate show scenes with a spinning, twisting roller coaster. Guests will board onto the backs of the tubular turtle himself and then be transported into the undersea world of Finding Nemo. Everything is slow and easy at first, but once the vehicle reaches the East Australian Current (EAC), things turn gnarly.

"It'll be like Space Mountain underwater—bubbles, ripples, underwater effects everywhere," says Cory. "We're basically filling the room with our underwater equivalent of stars. We'll come up close to kelp and rockwork and undersea characters—and of course we'll be spinning the whole time. And then we burst through this wall of bubbles at the end."

"This ride is all about surprises," says Jim. "It's things you don't expect to see. You don't expect Nemo and Squirt to come up and talk to you and you don't expect to follow them into their world. And you don't expect a ride vehicle that looks like Crush and starts off slow and mellow to all of a sudden go fast and spin and do these roller coaster maneuvers. And we'll never tell you that you're going to spin until you are actually on the ride."

[...]

http://forum.mousekingdom.com/dcboard.p ... full&page=

Jorien

Quote from: "raptor1982"More exciting information:
"It'll be like Space Mountain underwater—bubbles, ripples, underwater effects everywhere," says Cory. "We're basically filling the room with our underwater equivalent of stars. We'll come up close to kelp and rockwork and undersea characters—and of course we'll be spinning the whole time. And then we burst through this wall of bubbles at the end."

"This ride is all about surprises," says Jim. "It's things you don't expect to see. You don't expect Nemo and Squirt to come up and talk to you and you don't expect to follow them into their world. And you don't expect a ride vehicle that looks like Crush and starts off slow and mellow to all of a sudden go fast and spin and do these roller coaster maneuvers. And we'll never tell you that you're going to spin until you are actually on the ride."

:(  :cry:  :x  :(  :cry:  You find this exiting news????
I was so looking forward to this attraction, but i guess i'll never experience it myself then.. :(
I hated Space Mountain, and if this attraction is being compared with that....

Kristof

Oh yes, I'm very excited.  Besides, I don't ride the teacups either, but you don't hear me complaining?  :P  :wink:

Anthony

Quote from: "Jorien"I hated Space Mountain, and if this attraction is being compared with that....
I doubt it'll be anywhere near as intense as Space Mountain, they're just comparing the two because they're both coasters in the dark with projection effects. (Hey - that means we'll have 3 of them in the resort!!)

It's nice to hear a bit more about Toon Studios, and we now have what sounds like the name of the Cars ride:

Cars: Radiator Springs Spin Out

Could that be the final name?  I hope not!  :lol:

Anthony

Arrgh, I just wrote a really long (and probably boring) post, but it didn't submit properly.  Anyway, I'll just leave you in the company of two of the most wonderful layout plans ever made:

(source: ericlovestztot, Disney Central Plaza)

Notice anything cool in the plans? Tell us!  :wink:

Kristof

Does anyone see that cool Toon Studios gates that was shown on the early concept art?  :?

Kristof

Oh and I hope they will do something about the noice of the ride inside the building.  It would suck if we would get something like Space Mountain in Florida......  :?

Patrick

I'm sure they can do something about the noise it is Disney after all, I mean there is one at Chessington called Dragons Fury and thats not that load and thats outside, so suppose it could be different, but I think they could alter it with some type of music system to take over the noise of the car :wink: .  I would have thought they could do something like they do with RNRC and put a soundsystem in your seat :) .

Kristof

I'm quoting Kinoo on dlp.info:

QuoteHere are two detailed maps from the new attractions CRUSH TURTLE TWISTER and an overall view of Toon Studios (which has slightly changed since -except for the attraction- the line up for the props and trailer have changed, adding more elements from DCA with a background HOLLYWOOD hill in Toon style)

Kinoo if you read this, what kind of props?  How big will the backdrop be and where are they going to put it?  I'm so curious now!!!

Anthony

I'm guessing the backdrop would be behind the repositioned Mickey's Trailer on the plan - I suppose it might also extend to behind the other meet 'n' greet there.  It's a very good idea to put something like this in there, since it makes the theme a bit more immersive.  They could do with one on the opposite side of Animation Courtyard, so that you can't see the Disneyland Hotel...

I just thought of an interesting question actually - I wonder if they'll build the track of the coaster section of Turtle Twister first, and then build the building around it, like they did with RNRC?  I really hope they do, it'd make construction photos way more interesting!  :D

Kinou

Quote from: "raptor1982"I'm quoting Kinoo on dlp.info:

QuoteHere are two detailed maps from the new attractions CRUSH TURTLE TWISTER and an overall view of Toon Studios (which has slightly changed since -except for the attraction- the line up for the props and trailer have changed, adding more elements from DCA with a background HOLLYWOOD hill in Toon style)

Kinoo if you read this, what kind of props?  How big will the backdrop be and where are they going to put it?  I'm so curious now!!!

it will be HUUUGE!!! According to the maps found on the intranet of Imagineering, you cancompare the new background with the one in DCA's Hollywood Pictures Backlot:

Except that the theming will be very Roger Rabbit-like, with ToonTown Hill out of the gates of ToonStudios.
Moreover the trailers of Mickey won't be at the place they are on the maps you can see.
Hug it out bitch !

Kristof

That's fantastic!!!!  Finally some major theming!  

Although it makes sense that they're going to put something like that in Toon Studios to cover up the Tram Tour/ImagiNations building.

Anthony

Wow!  That really is MASSIVE!!!  Thanks for the news, Kinou.  :D

It'd be nice if they would invest in some good theming and sets/backdrops like that for the Tram Tour while they're at it...

I wonder how much a backdrop/set of that size actually costs?  I bet with Disney it's actually quite expensive...