Annual Pass - would this work?

Started by paulfoel, June 07, 2018, 12:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulfoel

4 adults and one child going for two days.

2 day park hopper (£121, child £107 with attractiontix) - total £591

(£12 cheaper if I but a 1/1 and a 1/2 via picniq)

If one person buys a magic plus annual pass for E259 (£226) then you get to buy 10 guest ticket at E39 each. (Only problem is its 5 per week, so depends if they say saturday in one week, sunday in another I guess not).

So,

Magic Plus AP = E259 (£226)
8x guest tickets E39 (£34) = £272

TOTAL= £498

If they only let me buy 5 tickets at E39, I can still get 20% discount on the rest. So I'd buy one more adult and 2x child.

Magic Plus AP = £226
5x special guest tickets £34 = £170
1x adults £78 (-20%) = £63
2x child £73 (-20%) = £117

TOTAL = £576

Still slightly cheaper. BUT, you get also:-
10% off in shops/restaurants
Free parking (we were going to use RER from our flat so this saves a bit)
Free wheelchair (it would cost us $40 for two days for MIL otherwise)

Would this work? Can you buy AP on site on the first day?

HildeKitten

Gosh, I'm a little unsure about the math, as I've not had an AP in absolutely years (I only go for a day each year now so an AP just isn't worth it for me anymore), BUT from what I remember from my AP holder days, you _can_ buy an AP from the Disneyland Paris website.
In which case they'll send you a temporary AP in the mail.
I initially got my AP like that (admittedly back in 2009 so make sure to check the site, and wait for someone with far more current knowledge than me to confirm whether this still is the case before you do it!) and they sent me a temporary AP.
My husband and I went down for a day, I went in with that temporary AP, went to the AP office (right by the entrance to Discoveryland), sorted out my actual AP and then went back to the Guest Relations desks where my husband was waiting so we could sort out his discounted entry ticket.

You do have to realise that whilst the person who is the AP holder will have a whole slew of benefits, that doesn't necessarily extend to the rest of your party.
For instance, you won't all be able to enjoy extra magic hours, and you might not be able to buy tickets before a certain time in the morning (it used to be 9.30). You have to get them at guest relations too, which is at the very best three open desks with three CMs in total that actually know what they're doing. So there might be quite the queue before you're able to buy the discounted tickets, and you'll have to buy them each and every day you're visiting the park(s).
Meaning you might actually get in later than 10am.

And you'll have to be paying for all the meals in restaurants and sort out the bill amongst yourselves every single time, too of course, because they won't extend the discount to people in your party, only to your order. (You probably already knew that, but a ton of people don't realise it so I'm just putting it out here).

I hope that helped at least a little.

But like I said, for more updated info, wait for someone else's reply because I haven't had an AP in oh, nearly 10 years I think!

rocker

Quote from: paulfoel on June 07, 2018, 12:30:01 PM

Looks like you've done all the maths. :)  You can buy AP on your first day.  You just buy a day pass, head to the AP office & they offset the cost of your day entry against the AP.  Depending on when your going, getting an AP can take an hour or more so either you'd need to pay full price for everyone to get in on your 1st day, or perhaps the rest of your group can go & get something to eat in Disney Village while you sort the pass out & meet them at the gate once you're done.

Alternatively, perhaps someone can confirm as I've never done this myself, at the ticket office to the extreme right of the park, they sometimes will issue a pass right there at the gate on busy days.  Like I said, perhaps someone else  who has done this could advise.

paulfoel

Quote from: rocker on June 07, 2018, 01:12:43 PM
Quote from: paulfoel on June 07, 2018, 12:30:01 PM

Looks like you've done all the maths. :)  You can buy AP on your first day.  You just buy a day pass, head to the AP office & they offset the cost of your day entry against the AP.  Depending on when your going, getting an AP can take an hour or more so either you'd need to pay full price for everyone to get in on your 1st day, or perhaps the rest of your group can go & get something to eat in Disney Village while you sort the pass out & meet them at the gate once you're done.

Alternatively, perhaps someone can confirm as I've never done this myself, at the ticket office to the extreme right of the park, they sometimes will issue a pass right there at the gate on busy days.  Like I said, perhaps someone else  who has done this could advise.

Apparently, you can do this at gate 12 studios instead?

Thats just it - I dont want to take hours sorting this out.

paulfoel

Quote from: HildeKitten on June 07, 2018, 01:11:13 PM
Gosh, I'm a little unsure about the math, as I've not had an AP in absolutely years (I only go for a day each year now so an AP just isn't worth it for me anymore), BUT from what I remember from my AP holder days, you _can_ buy an AP from the Disneyland Paris website.
In which case they'll send you a temporary AP in the mail.
I initially got my AP like that (admittedly back in 2009 so make sure to check the site, and wait for someone with far more current knowledge than me to confirm whether this still is the case before you do it!) and they sent me a temporary AP.
My husband and I went down for a day, I went in with that temporary AP, went to the AP office (right by the entrance to Discoveryland), sorted out my actual AP and then went back to the Guest Relations desks where my husband was waiting so we could sort out his discounted entry ticket.

You do have to realise that whilst the person who is the AP holder will have a whole slew of benefits, that doesn't necessarily extend to the rest of your party.
For instance, you won't all be able to enjoy extra magic hours, and you might not be able to buy tickets before a certain time in the morning (it used to be 9.30). You have to get them at guest relations too, which is at the very best three open desks with three CMs in total that actually know what they're doing. So there might be quite the queue before you're able to buy the discounted tickets, and you'll have to buy them each and every day you're visiting the park(s).
Meaning you might actually get in later than 10am.

And you'll have to be paying for all the meals in restaurants and sort out the bill amongst yourselves every single time, too of course, because they won't extend the discount to people in your party, only to your order. (You probably already knew that, but a ton of people don't realise it so I'm just putting it out here).

I hope that helped at least a little.

But like I said, for more updated info, wait for someone else's reply because I haven't had an AP in oh, nearly 10 years I think!

Yes know about the magic hours etc.

Buying it so I can get the cheaper tickets for everyone else, plus I can rent a wheelchair for free, and get discount in shops. So if I'm in restaurant and there are 5 of us, I'll get discount for one meal not the entire total - even if Im paying?

NCC1701Q

The discount is for the whole bill, not just for the AP-holder. You only need to show ONE AP when paying the whole bill, it is not necessary for all to have an AP. When my wife orders for the four of us, she only shows her own AP and gets the discount over the total order (and thus amount). There has never been one CM who asked to see the other three AP's.

claire2281

Also just be aware that if you order your AP by mail they send you the AP now, not a temporary one, but it is activated the moment they make it so you wouldn't want to order it too long before your holiday.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

HildeKitten

No no, I meant that you would have to pay for the entire bill and then sort everything out amongst yourselves afterwards.
You can order as many meals as you want and then get an AP discount, as long as YOU are paying the bill for those meals.

Pete's Dragon

Meal discounts are for up to 6 guests with the AP, last time I checked.

dencarter

A word of caution, as an AP holder you can only buy your €39 privilege passes on the day, so you'd need to queue up every day.

The ticket offices open at 8am.

Contrary to what a poster above said, with the €39 privilege passes, your guests CAN enter for Extra Magic Times. They can also use the VIP entrance at both parks, as long as they're with the pass holder at the time.

I don't know the answer to you 'what is a week?' question, but you may be better off getting an answer to that over in the AP questions thread (in the stickies above).

It's worth buying your Magic Plus AP online and having it posted to you, as the time it takes at the park itself is prbobitive as your family would need to wait outside for up to an hour until you're done.

As other posters have noted, you only need one AP per table to get restaurant discounts.

And the free parking is a huge benefit with Magic Plus.

Hope this helps.

NCC1701Q

The week runs from Monday up to and including Sunday, so the counter for buying the tickets is reset on Monday morning.

paulfoel

Quote from: claire2281 on June 07, 2018, 05:31:53 PM
Also just be aware that if you order your AP by mail they send you the AP now, not a temporary one, but it is activated the moment they make it so you wouldn't want to order it too long before your holiday.

Problem is Im going next Friday so not enough time to do it this way

paulfoel

Quote from: NCC1701Q on June 08, 2018, 07:29:50 AM
The week runs from Monday up to and including Sunday, so the counter for buying the tickets is reset on Monday morning.

Ah thought so. But I could buy one on saturday and 4 on sunday?

paulfoel

Quote from: dencarter on June 08, 2018, 12:37:37 AM
A word of caution, as an AP holder you can only buy your €39 privilege passes on the day, so you'd need to queue up every day.

The ticket offices open at 8am.

Contrary to what a poster above said, with the €39 privilege passes, your guests CAN enter for Extra Magic Times. They can also use the VIP entrance at both parks, as long as they're with the pass holder at the time.

I don't know the answer to you 'what is a week?' question, but you may be better off getting an answer to that over in the AP questions thread (in the stickies above).

It's worth buying your Magic Plus AP online and having it posted to you, as the time it takes at the park itself is prbobitive as your family would need to wait outside for up to an hour until you're done.

As other posters have noted, you only need one AP per table to get restaurant discounts.

And the free parking is a huge benefit with Magic Plus.

Hope this helps.

Is the queue that big then? An hour to sort out?

NCC1701Q

It can be very, very busy at the BPA unfortunately. And it is very hard to predict when it's busy and when not.