Magic Bands!

Started by RobinV1987, June 07, 2017, 06:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobinV1987

I just saw this strolling around on my facebook, there have been RFID reading entrances sighted at Walt Disney Studios!

https://www.facebook.com/ED92.org/photos/pcb.635646143292088/635646066625429/?type=3&theater

So this actually might mean that we're getting Magic Bands :D :D :D :D

claire2281

I do hope they eventually move that way. It would make things so much easier!
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

Greg

Anything is better than carrying around 20 different paper meal vouchers every day.
June 2009
May 2012
April 2013
June 2014- Disneyland Hotel
April 2015
April 2016 - Newport Bay Club
September 2016 - Disneyland Hotel
January 2017 - Newport Bay Club
October 2017 - Newport Bay Club
April 2018 - Newport Bay Club
October 2018 - Newport Bay Club

grovesie

We used the magic bands in WDW and agree it's the way forward. When we go I am the person in charge of the park tickets, fast passes and dining vouchers......... no more "which pocket did I out them in...." " YES I have the vouchers".....

seraphelle

Quote from: grovesie on June 08, 2017, 08:31:24 AM
We used the magic bands in WDW and agree it's the way forward. When we go I am the person in charge of the park tickets, fast passes and dining vouchers......... no more "which pocket did I out them in...." " YES I have the vouchers".....

Me too! I loathe having to carry it all about but I know if I didn't something would get lost. Imagine just having a funky bracelet that logs everything even your fastpasses - fingers crossed!
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

grovesie

Quote from: seraphelle on June 08, 2017, 06:35:12 PM

Me too! I loathe having to carry it all about but I know if I didn't something would get lost. Imagine just having a funky bracelet that logs everything even your fastpasses - fingers crossed!

I still have our Magic Bands from our trip 2 years ago. I liked that they sold character Magicbands to make things a little different too. We all ended up buying different character bands for all of us.

seraphelle

Quote from: grovesie on June 09, 2017, 09:05:22 AM
Quote from: seraphelle on June 08, 2017, 06:35:12 PM

I still have our Magic Bands from our trip 2 years ago. I liked that they sold character Magicbands to make things a little different too. We all ended up buying different character bands for all of us.

Yep I've not at all started looking at all the Haunted Mansion ones....just in case.....  ::) ;D ;D ;D
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

tubbsy

Loved our Magic Bands.
They are a fantastic extra souvenir :)
I've been hoping we were getting them soon.

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

sunshine1

Does anyone else feel like Magic Bands is so that Mickey can keep an eye on you?

If you use your magic band for everything then all of your spending habits, when you enter and leave a room and the parks, where you eat and even what rides you use for fastpass are all kept on there?

Some of that stuff they already know like when you enter or leave your room plus when you are in the parks but this will know spending habits also.

Mickey Mouse Big Brother.

whatsupanders

If you have an annual pass they already know your spending habits anyway. My impression is that we will see RFID cards first rather than full on magic bands. This would be your room key if you're staying at the hotels

grovesie

Quote from: sunshine1 on June 14, 2017, 12:25:13 AM
Does anyone else feel like Magic Bands is so that Mickey can keep an eye on you?

If you use your magic band for everything then all of your spending habits, when you enter and leave a room and the parks, where you eat and even what rides you use for fastpass are all kept on there?

Some of that stuff they already know like when you enter or leave your room plus when you are in the parks but this will know spending habits also.

Would this be a bad thing?

Knowing certain data could be used to make the Disney experience better. I have no problems Disney knowing when I leave the hotel, entering the parks and how many toys the kids buy as long as it is used to make things better.

tubbsy

When I read that, all I could think of was Bart Simpson with the bra on his head as Mickey Mouse ears shouting "I am the mascot of an evil corporation!"

Sorry! Very early in the day.
It never bothered me in WDW. And in DLP we link the credit card to our room pass. So, apart from when we leave and enter our room, they know all this anyway. And who's to say the room keys don't already do all that?

Now if they would just sync with my fitbit to see how far I walked?...
A step too far?

I am just seeing them as just so convenient, easy and fun to use.

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

DLPme

All of these things are really useful information for anyone trying to sell anything! Even IKEA tracks customer buyings in order to know how to best market their products in order to sell the most. And let's not forget that Disney is a company that needs to earn money, not a charity project. That means that if we want to see Disneyland Paris grow in the future, we need to actually understand that they need money to do so. Of course, not all of the money goes back into the company, but that's just how the economy in our world works.

And seeing the benefits of a MagicBand for you as a guest I would say it's worth it. Disney get some really valuable information and you get a whole new world experience, it's what we call a win-win  ;)

polar vixen

We are a family of 7 who stayed 5 nights this trip. The new breakfast in the parks meant a voucher per person  for that. We had full board and also paid in advance for buffalo bill and a character breakfast and a photopass. That means that this trip we had.....120 vouchers. We also had to trade in the required ones before hand at hotel concierge before the show. It took me over an hour to sort out vouchers the first night and then what a stress to be sure to take out the right ones each day. Magic bands would be brilliant!