Disney performers posting images of themselves as characters on social media

Started by sunshine1, May 08, 2017, 01:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshine1

What are your thoughts on this?

To be honest i thought that Disney wouldnt 'allow' performers posting pictures of themselves as characters but on the other hand social media is a way of life now for alot of people how can they stop it?

I was looking for a face character on fb as i didnt get any pictures myself and all it takes is a couple of clicks and all that needs to happen is that one of their friend tags them in the picture of themselves as a character and you know who the performer is.

does it ruin the magic? i cant imagine a few years ago Disney allowing this - but times have changed.

for me it doesnt ruin the magic - it makes me appreciate that most if not all of them are trained professional dancers, some even ballet. i didnt realise this.

what are your thoughts on this?

RobinV1987

I don't think its a big problem, aslong as it's not hurting the Disney Company it should be fine.

andya

Cast members (certainly is WDW Florida) are forbidden from taking pictures in character so posting them on anything other than official sites would be extremely frowned upon and likely to lead to dismissal. Not sure it's the same for Paris (I'd imagine it will be not that Disney are taking complete ownership).

NeverNotFun

From a Disney viewpoint I would not allow this to keep the magic alive. But as a an adult fan of Disney I find it quite interesting.

sunshine1

Quote from: andya on May 09, 2017, 12:29:41 PM
Cast members (certainly is WDW Florida) are forbidden from taking pictures in character so posting them on anything other than official sites would be extremely frowned upon and likely to lead to dismissal. Not sure it's the same for Paris (I'd imagine it will be not that Disney are taking complete ownership).

i thought that was the case that is why i am surprised performers at disneyland paris are posting pictures of themselves in character on social media.

but thinking about it one of the performers at WDW who played Gaston would post pictures of himself on his social media site saying he was 'friends' with Gaston.

samuelvictor

My brother in law is friends on Instagram with many performers from WDW including Ariel who, though she doesn't use the name "Ariel" often posts pix of herself in character and describes her job as "Professional Mermaid" :P

Rocketeer

As much as I feel that rules on social media and work seem archaic, I think they do serve a purpose.

Therefore, even if they were taking pictures that are 100% within character and nothing that they wouldn't do in the parks (onstage), I still think that they should refrain from doing so.

I know that makes me seem like an old fart, but it just removes the possibility of some person trying to be clever and taking a less that flattering picture.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

never2old

I've seen cast members posting pictures, when they're in character they never seem to name themselves, it's always the name of the character, and if they talk of themselves is as a "friend" of that character. I quite like that to be honest, and it takes nothing away from the magic