Guys, I need help - possible change of hotel

Started by pialykke, March 06, 2017, 07:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pialykke

I have just booked Newport Bay - just a standard room, which was pricey enough, but now I am really in 2 minds whether to change it for Golden Forest...

I am a bit scared of the new breakfast plan, counter service in the park?? Really?? I phoned to ask what it actually involved, but they couldn't really tell me on the phone... I just dont wanna get lumbered with a cold bit of toast and a coffee, you know...

Besides, DS10 (who turns 11 while we're there) is a sucker for hot breakfasts. Which I understand you still get at Sequoia GF even after the 29th March?! (We're going in May)...

So, do I change the booking (for a certain extra fee naturally) to Golden Forest? Is it worth it? What does that actually "give us" now? I will trawl the forum too, but quicker to ask... :)

May 2017 - Newport
November 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2012 - Santa Fe

claire2281

AFAIK if you pay for breakfast you still have it in the hotel and it's hot and cold food. The only exception is if you book the character breakfast in Plaza Gardens.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

dlpowl

If you've booked as part of the current 'free half Board' offer then you will get a counter service breakfast.  This gives you a drink and a choice of breakfast items (expected to be croissants, pain au chocolat etc) which you can get from 1 of 4 restaurants in the park (Hyperion, Cable Car, Chalet Marionette, Market Deli).

If you have paid for your breakfast as an add on then you will get a hotel breakfast.

pialykke

Quote from: claire2281 on March 06, 2017, 09:53:39 PM
AFAIK if you pay for breakfast you still have it in the hotel and it's hot and cold food. The only exception is if you book the character breakfast in Plaza Gardens.

I've booked Plaza Gardens for one morning (DS10's birthday) But I never got the option to book breakfast when I went through the options. I could change the half board plus to full board plus. But that was it. The option to add breakfast never came up...
Maybe I should call he booking office and ask.

May 2017 - Newport
November 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2012 - Santa Fe

pialykke

Quote from: dlpowl on March 06, 2017, 10:24:43 PM
If you've booked as part of the current 'free half Board' offer then you will get a counter service breakfast.  This gives you a drink and a choice of breakfast items (expected to be croissants, pain au chocolat etc) which you can get from 1 of 4 restaurants in the park (Hyperion, Cable Car, Chalet Marionette, Market Deli).

If you have paid for your breakfast as an add on then you will get a hotel breakfast.

Thank you, that clears a bit up for me... Didn't know which restaurants it included - and just think - "every single" hotel guest queuing up to get breakfast... That is gonna be a nightmare...
As in the reply above - yes I used the free half board option, but I was never able to add breakfast to my mealplan. It never came up as I went through the options. I was able to change to full board, but couldn't add breakfast only.
Next question is - what is the breakfast like at Newport Bay, is it only in the compass club you get an american style breakfast with eggs, bacon, sausages etc.? Or?
I can't seem to find anywhere what the hotel breakfast includes (and I only know the old one from Santa Fe)
Thanx again. :)

May 2017 - Newport
November 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2012 - Santa Fe

Andybear

Quote from: pialykke on March 06, 2017, 10:36:39 PM

Thank you, that clears a bit up for me... Didn't know which restaurants it included - and just think - "every single" hotel guest queuing up to get breakfast... That is gonna be a nightmare...

As in the reply above - yes I used the free half board option, but I was never able to add breakfast to my mealplan. It never came up as I went through the options. I was able to change to full board, but couldn't add breakfast only.
Next question is - what is the breakfast like at Newport Bay, is it only in the compass club you get an american style breakfast with eggs, bacon, sausages etc.? Or?
I can't seem to find anywhere what the hotel breakfast includes (and I only know the old one from Santa Fe)

BIB: People who booked before a certain date last October (can't remember the exact date) do have breakfast included with their hotel room - I'm one of them luckily.  Also people in a club room (eg, SL GF) have breakfast included. Plus I suspect a lot of people will pay for hotel breakfast. So a lot of us won't be queuing up in the park to get breakfast.   :)

claire2281

Ah, thanks to dlpbowl I'm clearer now. I don't personally use the meal plans so I didn't realise the breakfast in them was a lesser deal than if you paid for it.

Right, so without the meal plan you get the option to add breakfast to your booking for between £12 and £23 per night depending on what hotel you're staying. It now only comes as standard with the club rooms and suites (not even normal DLH rooms get breakfast included). When booking you are told: "Every morning, you can enjoy a full and balanced breakfast offering a wide choice of sweet and savoury and hot and cold products (pastries, assorted bread rolls, yoghurt, cereals, fruit, scrambled eggs, cold meats, sausages and more) as well as fruit juices and hot drinks".

I'm not sure if you can exchange your meal plan vouchers in part against the hotel breakfast cost. You can for other meals but this is a whole new system so you'd probably have to ring and ask.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

SVioletS

The chat guy confirmed me yesterday that we can pay to have the breakfast in the Hotel, but didn't tell me how much more it would cost me , this on top of the free half board plan.

First time ever: August 2000, one day visit!
August 2010, NewPort Bay, 5 days
October 2012, Sequoia Lodge, 5 days
April 2014, Sequoia Lodge, 6 days - Big 7th Bday Surprise for DD#1 :)
September 2015, Newport Bay 6 days - Another surprise!!!

dlpowl

I've never stayed at Newport Bay so I can't help you with that query but Disney told me that the counter service breakfast vouchers are worth €9 per person (adults and children) and you can use them as part payment towards the cost of the hotel breakfast if you want to.  This would obviously work out cheaper than adding the breakfast on at full price which is probably why it wasn't an option when you booked.  And because the breakfast vouchers can only be used for breakfast items and they have to be used by 10.15am, it's not like you can save them and use them later on in the day for a snack.  So if you've received counter service breakfast vouchers in your package but want a hotel breakfast, the cheapest way is to pay the difference every day at the hotel. 

As you mentioned before, it might be not much more expensive to upgrade to a golden forest room where I believe you do get a hot breakfast, from what I've seen on vlogs, but I haven't stayed there myself. 

pialykke

Quote from: dlpowl on March 07, 2017, 12:45:57 AM

I've never stayed at Newport Bay so I can't help you with that query but Disney told me that the counter service breakfast vouchers are worth €9 per person (adults and children) and you can use them as part payment towards the cost of the hotel breakfast if you want to.  This would obviously work out cheaper than adding the breakfast on at full price which is probably why it wasn't an option when you booked.  And because the breakfast vouchers can only be used for breakfast items and they have to be used by 10.15am, it's not like you can save them and use them later on in the day for a snack.  So if you've received counter service breakfast vouchers in your package but want a hotel breakfast, the cheapest way is to pay the difference every day at the hotel. 

As you mentioned before, it might be not much more expensive to upgrade to a golden forest room where I believe you do get a hot breakfast, from what I've seen on vlogs, but I haven't stayed there myself.

Oh thanx, that's very helpful! If we can exchange the breakfastvouchers as part payment every morning, I think we will definitely be doing that. Thank you so much! We'll stick to the Newport then. :)

May 2017 - Newport
November 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2012 - Santa Fe

dlpowl

No problem, glad to help!  From the info I've found, the price of breakfast at Newport Bay is €25 so minus your €9 voucher value and you're looking at €16 per person for a hotel breakfast.

voidzito

Are you sure of that dlpowl ? I'm really looking into getting some precise information about that. i have called last week to change my hotel but system was down for mantenaince i still asked about breakfast the men that was helping me said i could probably use the voucher in the hotel to pay part of the breakfast like i say. But when i called like a hour ago i was told the opposite, that i cant use the voucher that way and only at counter service in the park.... This is not well informed anywhere not even them are giving good information, not good.

polar vixen

I've also spoken to 2 different cast members when booking who've read from the details they have and said that it's not possible. Guess we won't know for sure till it comes in end of March.  That's why we went full boarding knew there was no way we could make it on a single pastry and buffet.