Upgrading meal plan

Started by dmb14, February 06, 2017, 08:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmb14

Hello

We are booked for next week (half term) and upgraded to Full Board.

Howver, we got the standard package which only has a small number of restaurants to choose from.

My question is can we upgrade this to the plus to get a wider choice and would we just pay the difference in price?

Also, any suggestions of restaurants would be great.

Thanks

Elodie

Did you get the half board free then upgrade to full board? I'm sure I've read that if you get a free dining plan, you can upgrade to full board but not upgrade the level. If you paid for the meal plan in the first place, I think you can upgrade either / both.

For what it's worth, we got the standard half board last summer and absolutely loved it. We had lovely filling buffets in Restaurant des Stars (my favourite), La Cantina (the children's favourite), Agrabah (hubby's favourite) and Plaza Gardens (my other favourite, haha!) We would have happily had the standard meal plan again, but we're staying in the DLH next time, so will have to go for premium. Of course we're excited about all the character dining, but we're aware that the table service meals won't fill us up so well and that we're going to end up paying out for a third meal each day, which wasn't necessary on the standard plan. I'm already secretly planning our third trip staying in the Cheyenne so we can have the standard plan again!

Andybear

Quote from: Elodie on February 06, 2017, 10:52:17 PM
Did you get the half board free then upgrade to full board? I'm sure I've read that if you get a free dining plan, you can upgrade to full board but not upgrade the level. If you paid for the meal plan in the first place, I think you can upgrade either / both.

For what it's worth, we got the standard half board last summer and absolutely loved it. We had lovely filling buffets in Restaurant des Stars (my favourite), La Cantina (the children's favourite), Agrabah (hubby's favourite) and Plaza Gardens (my other favourite, haha!) We would have happily had the standard meal plan again, but we're staying in the DLH next time, so will have to go for premium. Of course we're excited about all the character dining, but we're aware that the table service meals won't fill us up so well and that we're going to end up paying out for a third meal each day, which wasn't necessary on the standard plan. I'm already secretly planning our third trip staying in the Cheyenne so we can have the standard plan again!

Are you paying for the meal plan or is it free?  If you're paying for it why not go for the standard one.  Even if it's free why not ask if you can have a standard one rather than a premium one - they might let you.

dmb14

Thanks both - we got the Full Board thrown in with the package.

Thanks for your advice - just a little worried that its a tad limiting with only 7 restaurants, one of which I think is closed in Feb!

dlpowl

No you can't pay the difference and upgrade to a higher level of meal plan if you got it for free as part of the package.  You can pay the extra and upgrade to full board from Half Board but if you got a standard meal plan thrown in for free, you cannot pay the difference and upgrade to Premium or Plus.  You can add a higher level meal plan on but you have to pay the full price.

Andybear

Quote from: dlpowl on February 07, 2017, 06:17:14 PM
No you can't pay the difference and upgrade to a higher level of meal plan if you got it for free as part of the package.  You can pay the extra and upgrade to full board from Standard but if you got a standard meal plan thrown in for free, you cannot pay the difference and upgrade to Premium or Plus.  You can add a higher level meal plan on but you have to pay the full price.

If you're responding to me, the person I responded to said they were staying at DLH next so would be getting a premium meal plan but they prefer the standard one.  I asked if it was possible for them to downgrade the meal plan - ie get a standard one instead instead of a premium one.  If you weren't responding to me then never mind  :)

dlpowl

Quote from: Andybear on February 07, 2017, 08:29:36 PM
Quote from: dlpowl on February 07, 2017, 06:17:14 PM
No you can't pay the difference and upgrade to a higher level of meal plan if you got it for free as part of the package.  You can pay the extra and upgrade to full board from Standard but if you got a standard meal plan thrown in for free, you cannot pay the difference and upgrade to Premium or Plus.  You can add a higher level meal plan on but you have to pay the full price.

If you're responding to me, the person I responded to said they were staying at DLH next so would be getting a premium meal plan but they prefer the standard one.  I asked if it was possible for them to downgrade the meal plan - ie get a standard one instead instead of a premium one.  If you weren't responding to me then never mind  :)

No, I was responding to the OP as they hadn't had a definite answer to their upgrading question.  I was in the same situation last year so I was able to give them a definite answer.

Elodie

Andy, in response, we haven't actually got our dining plan yet, but we're going to have to do premium if we want to eat breakfast in the DLH (which we really, really do!)

When we first started planning this holiday, breakfasts were still included in the hotel price, so we intended to have breakfast in Inventions, then get the standard meal plan. The new breakfast rules mean that the standard meal plan wouldn't allow us to eat breakfast in our hotel, and the helpful people on here confirmed that even if we wanted to do the 20 minute walk to a standard hotel for breakfast, we wouldn't be allowed. We wanted to do ADC anyway, and we're already planning which other premium restaurants to visit, so it's all good.