Recycled attractions

Started by Rocketeer, November 14, 2016, 12:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketeer

^Exactly!  ;D

Heck I can think of one ride that can be recycled and give Parc Disneyland something 'new'.... Tapis Volents. Move it to Adventureland where it was going to be in the first place.

Then again, no. That'll ruin the aesthetic of Adventureland.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

Olivus Prime

Personally, I think the problem with recycling attractions is that, in order to be removed in the first place, they have to be outdated or unpopular. Even Monsters Inc. is an IP that I wouldn't consider to remain overly prevalent beyond the next 10 years (unless another sequel is produced) - I think Ratatouille was an exception, since it at least had the French connection.

Rocketeer

Excellent point. And the issue with MI is not the film, but the fact that the attraction was a quick replacement for a derided attraction in Superstar Limo.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

tigger1974

I would not mind recycled attractions in the least.... at least they would be something new and different. DLP is in desperate need of something new (especially Parc Disneyland itself). Overhauling and amending existing, beloved attractions (PotC and Space Mountain for example) is not sufficient.

TTFN
'05 Santa Fe
'07 Newport Bay
'08 Santa Fe
'09 Disneyland Hotel
'10 Santa Fe
'12 Sequoia Lodge
'13 Santa Fe
'14 New York
'15 Sequoia Lodge
'17 Sequoia Lodge (Golden Forest)
'19 Santa Fe
I also visited in '98, '00, '02 & '03 and stayed offsite

A&S&O

Quote from: Olivus Prime on November 23, 2016, 12:06:17 AM
Personally, I think the problem with recycling attractions is that, in order to be removed in the first place, they have to be outdated or unpopular. Even Monsters Inc. is an IP that I wouldn't consider to remain overly prevalent beyond the next 10 years (unless another sequel is produced) - I think Ratatouille was an exception, since it at least had the French connection.
There are many popular attractions based on films older that 10 years - Peter Pan, Dumbo, Snow White...
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

Rocketeer

And that is the worry of adding attractions based on recent movies. But hey, can we be overly critical at this point? A 'new' attraction is just that. Keeping with the MI ride as an example, if they added that lock, stock and laugh cannister into the Studios, you know they'd have something extra to promote.

OK, so the original film is 15 years old (*sigh* now I feel old!) but its not completely out of date yet. True, the '06 attraction isn't perfect, and it pales in comparison to Tokyo's Ride and Boo Seek, but it'd still add to the roster of a park that is still lacking.

Sure, there are a few other recent releases that should have attractions - perhaps a Big Hero 6 attraction, or even The Incredibles (sequel due 2018). They'd generate more buzz, but if it was a straight out choice between a decade old, slightly disappointing ride versus the continued wait for further attractions, I know which side I'd choose.

YenSidBot

Such a good idea ! Never thought of it myself sure the cost would still be a large sum , yet it still wouldnt burn a large hole in the pockets of dlp . The Monsters Inc Ride is in a area of Disney California Adventure that is a mix and match of different ips  , it just doesnt fit in the current area in California theme wise .Sure if Disney did "recycle " this attraction and bring it to Paris they would obviously spruce it up a litle bit . Great Idea thread btw  :) :) :) :) :) :)
Next Trip 28 Sep - 5 October 18 :) :)

Rocketeer

^Thanks.

And here's another thought - just think of all those wonderful attractions that have been sent to Yesterland. The resort could have had some gems added to its roster.

Just randomly...

Adventures Thru Inner Space
Dreamflight
Alien Encounter

Andybear

Quote from: Rocketeer on November 16, 2016, 11:39:04 PM
^I had to look it up... and I'm surprised. Buzz opened April 8th '06.

Eleven years from Indy to Buzz, and another ten with nothing since. Sad.

Ratatouille opened in 2014. I went to DLP in September 2014 without knowing anything about it until I came on this forum earlier that year!   My previous trip was in 2004 and I hadn't read up about it or been on any forums till I suddenly decided it was time I paid a return visit then started reading up about it and going on forums after I'd booked it!

YenSidBot

I know it is not exactly "recycled" but wouldn't it be great if WDS Park scrapped stitch Live and added an interactive Frozen show similar to Stitch Live with Olaf . Even if you don't like Frozen frozen it would have to be able to draw more people than Stitch Live
Next Trip 28 Sep - 5 October 18 :) :)

Rocketeer

Samanthad

I wouldn't mind recycled attractions - never having been myself to any of the other parks around the world.

I would also imagine the shipping costs would still be a heck of a lot lower than the costs of developing and designing the ride in the first place - surely the costs of designing, testing, developing etc is one of the biggest costs involved with developing a new ride. Shipping costs are minimal really when you think about it - even if shipping costs were equal to the manufacture costs of a new ride, you would still be having a heck of a lot on the fact that someone else has already spent a lot of money and time on the design and development!
Disneyland Paris: Santa Fe 2001, Newport Bay Club 2005, Offsite 2015, Offsite 2016, Hotel B&B Disneyland 2016, Santa Fe Christmas 2016, Offsite May 2017, Santa Fe July 2018, Offsite Sep 2018 1/2 Marathon.

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Magic 7 night Mediterranean Cruise 2017

Next Trip: July 2022

Rocketeer

Two more rumours have 'a bug's land' (DCA) and The Great Movie Ride (DHS) closing.

I'm not fussed on the former, but I'd love to see the latter transferred over to WDS.

irishbhoy1888

Nope, Twdc now own dlp and if they don't show the same attention to it as its other parks we'll they can't expect people to keep going or for the park to improve. 1995 since the MK had a new attraction,  come on, that's just not acceptable. Look what the US parks have gotten since 1995, now I now twdc have only recently got their hands on dlp fully but it's time to act now.
DLP having no money excuse can no longer be used, A total overhaul and expansion of wds park and 2 new attractions in MK is what's needed to bring this resort up to scratch.
Throwing in the US parks "has beens" will only show a very negative view to how twdc sees dlp going forward.
It needs to show real commitment now more than ever if it's to keep its most visited destination on Europe tag going into the next decade.

Ohana

Quote from: AaronKing on January 14, 2017, 07:50:37 PM
I know it is not exactly "recycled" but wouldn't it be great if WDS Park scrapped stitch Live and added an interactive Frozen show similar to Stitch Live with Olaf . Even if you don't like Frozen frozen it would have to be able to draw more people than Stitch Live

You leave Stitch Live alone!! That's one of my favourite attractions haha!
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel