First time trip coming up in Dec, looking for advice, no clue on anything!

Started by Cork girl, October 20, 2016, 06:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cork girl

Hi all,

Looking for advice for a first trip. We are a family of five, staying for four nights in Newport Bay in Family room (not compass club unfortunetly). So, flights are booked to CDG, and plan on getting one of those taxi transfers to hotel. Just breakfast included for us so plan on eating plenty and will be bringing snacks for lunch time so we don't waste time in restaurant. Planning on just doing casual dining so the likes of rainforest cafe will do us fine for evening. The boys are usually gone to be done by 7pm so we won't get to go out as such but would prob try to buy a bottle of wine for the room.
Looking for any real To-Dos for a trip, would hate to come home and realise we missed out on something fun. Our boys are 7,5&4. I'm not sure that they'll really go for the rollercoaster but you never know. Due to their ages I'm not planning on queueing for much as a meltdown would surely take place with waiting around. I really am clueless, I don't know the difference between studios and park!
Any advice is really appreciated!

Thanks!

Puffin

For a first trip I would suggest to just let yourself be surprised by the surroundings and all the new discoveries. Don't rush and take your time to take in all the magic. Four nights will give you plenty of time to do so.
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay ● august 2019 hotel cheyenne

Zee79

If you are buying wine don't bring it back through the Disney village as they won't let you. Use the buses to get to the hotel.

A Princess Disnae......

Hi! With regards to getting advice, the best advice I can offer is just to read the posts on this site. It really does tell you about things you want to know and those you never even thought of ;) I have 2 children of similar ages to your 3 and have been going for the last few years and the one ride guaranteed to prevent meltdown is Autopia. Basically it is a grand scalectrics which the kids get to 'drive' (with you sitting next to them of course) and the best bit?It's the one ride that they agree on every time!  Have a fantastic time  :D
Newport Bay 2002, Santa Fe 2013, 2014 & 2015, DLP Half Marathon Weekend Cheyenne 2016, Sequoia Lodge February 2017, DLP Half Marathon Weekend 2017 Hotel New York.
Magic Run Weekend 2018 Disneyland Hotel, Sequoia Lodge Feb 2019. Next holiday Magic Run Weekend 2019 Disneyland Hotel

polar vixen

make sure you stay up at least once to watch disney dreams which will be at park closing. imo best way to get you in the disney spirit is to watch the parade on arrival day.  if you plan on meeting any characters get your kisds autograph books (about 6 euros each in any off the shops or Gerry one for them to share?) buffalo bill is a really good night out.  it congress at an additional cost but it's something you won't get anywhere else.  also my bids have always loved pin trading -buy done disney pins cheap of eBay (done may be faked but car members will still happily trade- they all have lanyards with pins on abd will trade with your children if asked.  it's a great way to get kids talking a little French (please and thank you) and keeps them distracted if you're waiting ay a till because they're busy eyeing up which pins they can swop! 
also don't miss Buzz!  very worth it,  especially during emh when there's barely any queue

grovesie

Make use of the extra magic hours( EMH). The park opens 2 hours early for guests using the onsite hotels. If you are lucky you may be able to have breakfast in the park too. Most of Fantasyland will be open( Peter Pan, Dumbo Elephants, Teacups, Buzz Light Year are just a few) and the rides will be a walk on with minimal wait times.

Rainforest and Ludwigs are owned by the same group. When you dine in one they will issue you with a 20% off voucher for the other restaurant, the voucher must be used within 48 hours and you must take the receipt from the meal with you. There's also the happy hour in Ludwigs with all house drinks half price, this include soft drinks for the kids.

As previously said you must try to see Dreams.

Above all take your time and just enjoy the atmosphere.

MrsRoachy

Quote from: Zee79 on October 20, 2016, 10:25:03 PM
If you are buying wine don't bring it back through the Disney village as they won't let you. Use the buses to get to the hotel.

So we can take wine in, just through the main front door?

Zee79

Yeah, they just don't like you bringing it through the village back to hotels.

macca1476

Think Puffin nailed it, take your time to enjoy all the details and atmosphere rather than rush around trying to do everything.

Enjoy :)

Cork girl

Aw thanks so much everyone for taking the time to reply, I have been on this about six months so have a little info but glad of the advice you have given. Thanks!

polar vixen

done you're going in December they'll have a' Christmas village' In  the village. if you walk back to your hotel one Mught it id's lovely. ...lots of little huts selling hiot chestnuts, mulled wine,  candy apples,  etc etc.  it's so pretty abd smells amazing.  enjoy !!

Cork girl

Quote from: polar vixen on October 21, 2016, 08:39:25 PM
done you're going in December they'll have a' Christmas village' In  the village. if you walk back to your hotel one Mught it id's lovely. ...lots of little huts selling hiot chestnuts, mulled wine,  candy apples,  etc etc.  it's so pretty abd smells amazing.  enjoy !!
oh that sounds amazing!

Cork girl

Sorry to open this up again but now that we are getting closer I have more questions!

1. Where can I buy a bottle of wine to bring to room? Well it is France :-)

2. I am demented over looking at meal plans over last few days, had finally decided on going that route and now again I'm unsure, so my question is: if we don't get a meal plan, can we still eat in buffets? I think it's just 10% off that we get by using meal plan, is that right?

3. If we go to rainforest cafe, which I like the idea of, can we share plates? I don't mean to sound like I'm pinchîng pennies but I'd love to get a platter to share and lots of sides and then volcano for dessert. My boys probably wouldn't eat what's on the menu per se, that's why I was leaning towards the buffets. But lots of sides would be nice too.

4. I remember reading a warning regarding a taxi group a while back, I can't remember the name though. We will be booking a transfer for the five of us from CDG.

I can't think of anything else for now, thanks again for your patience!

polar vixen

You can eat in any restaurant you like without vouchers, you just pay the required price for the meals - dining plans give you a voucher for a particular tier of restaurant which is then exchangeable for the full cost of the  meal / buffet.  if it's your first time, and you're close to going, I wouldn't book a meal plan now, have a good look at the menus on dlpguide (link at the top) , and prices, and just be sure to factor the cost of meals into your budget.  Bear in mind that buffet restaurants will charge you per person eating.  We love the buffet restaurants though, especially billy bobs in the village.  depending on when you're going in December, it may be advisable to book your restaurants though as the queues can get pretty big, and table service ones can be fully booked. (note: rainforest, planet Hollywood, and annettes diner do not take reservations)

Stacykg

I'm also interested in where to buy a bottle of wine to take back to the hotel. Apparently according to the boyfriend they do 'disneyland wine' in the world of disney store in the village, but I'd bet it's super expensive, there's always the hotel bar? That's where you will find me if I can't find bottles for myself cheaper.