Disney to charge for breakfast?

Started by laylanmummyluvdisney, September 21, 2016, 09:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laylanmummyluvdisney

I've just read on tripadvisor that apparently Disney will charge for breakfast for any bookings made after oct 12th
and the breakfast price will be included in the new prices for meal plans

this is apparently reported on magic breaks although ive having problems seeing anything on the link

is this anyone here has heard?
Hotel New York                          September 2005
Sequioa Lodge                 June 2014
Cheyenne                   October 2015

**************next trip************
Santa Fe             September 2017

gemma2806

Yes I've seen this in another forum. Any bookings made after a set date in October will no longer include breakfasts for any stays after March 2017. Breakfast will be charged per person and a different price depending on the hotel you stay at. The breakfasts will also be included in the meal plan prices but these will also be increasing around £10 per person per night. It will actually work out cheaper to take a meal plan than purchase breakfast separately x

laylanmummyluvdisney

I'm booked for next sept already so with  breakfast included in my price

and was planning on adding a meal plan on once released

but now I could technically be paying twice for breakfast :'(
Hotel New York                          September 2005
Sequioa Lodge                 June 2014
Cheyenne                   October 2015

**************next trip************
Santa Fe             September 2017

MrsRoachy

I think this might be a bad move as I can see it making people book offsite. The offsite hotels can be considerably cheaper and you can still get packages including admission. Yes you lose your EMH but it it saves you a few hundred pounds it would make me reconsider where I stay.

As it is I've already booked and paid in full for our trip in April so breakfast is sorted!

A&S&O

No doubt they won't be lowering the prices of rooms to compensate for the extra expense. I wonder how many people will forgo breakfast at the hotels, even though there is very little alternative. Hotel guests are easy targets for fleecing it seems.

I wonder if it will be the same price for "walk in" non guests - if so, the prices look lower than the currently are.

Further details can be found on the excellent Salon Mickey site.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

bad-pink-tink

over on the DIS someone posted the breakfast prices, which are all in UK Pounds Sterling, so expect the Euro prices to be higher

Prices are per person per night, child is aged 3 to 11 years. Castle Club Suites, Golden Forest and Compass Cub breakfast has no extra charge.

Disneyland Hotel
Adult- £23
Child- £21

Hotel New York and Hotel Newport Bay
Adult- £19
Child- £18

Sequoia Lodge
Adult- £15
Child- £13

Cheyenne and Santa Fe
Adult- £12
Child- £11

Davy Crockett
Adult- £8
Child- £8

Partner Hotels

Raddisson Blu
Adult- £18
Child- £11

Dream Castle and Magic Circus
Adult- £12
Child- £7.32

Hotel l'Elysee Val d'Europe
Adult- £11
Child- £6

Kyraid
Adult- £10.40
Child- £5

Adagio Marne la Valle
Adult- £9
Child- £5

B & B Hotel
Adult- £5
Child- £2

Algonquinn Explorers
Adult- Free
Child- Free

The only one I could justify is Disneyland Hotel, all the rest no way. I cant say I'm surprised though, with the amount of food people take, for snacks later in the day, they must have been loosing alot of money. The Village , especially McDonalds will be manic now early in the money, anyone know what time it opens?? I know Starbucks opens at 8am.

I can see a drop in first and second time UK and Irish families, as many hotels in UK and Ireland have no extra charge for breakfasts.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

MrsRoachy

If those are the prices we won't be visiting again after next year (already booked so breakfast included), that will add nearly £75 per night in Newport Bay for 2 adults and 2 children, that's an extra £300 on top of what I paid for next year for 4 nights

Slimy yet satisfying

I wonder how that will effect a booking made now for one person with the intention of adding an extra person at check in?
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

Ohana

Well if that's the case I won't feel bad about bringing the ziplocks and grabbing loads of stuff for lunches when I go in November haha!

I've never done it before, mind. I've always taken enough money for lunch and dinner for every day and only ever taken a handful of pastries in my luggage on the final day for a Disney breakfast at home. Only doing it this time as we're on a tight budget but I do think some people took the mick with it a bit.

Maybe they should've kept the breakfast free but had it so you had a ticket, went around once for your breakfast then that was it, so people weren't just helping themselves to everything. But I'm not the boss so...
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

disneymagic006

I wouldn't pay that much for the standard breakfast that is on offer. I can't say I particularly enjoy the breakfast choices very much. Indeed on our last visit at the cheyenne I skipped the breakfast on a couple of days and picked up a breakfast sandwich at Earl of Sandwich in the village. Anyone offering breakfasts in the village will get a load of custom I'd this comes into play. McDonald's do better breakfasts and would be cheaper.

We are already booked for next year in July so it should be included for us.

I wonder if this is a tactic to make the hotel breakfasts less hectic? I wonder if they will put the hot choices at all the hotels for this increased cost?
1992 - Newport Bay
1994 - Newport Bay
1997 - Sequoia Lodge
1999 - Davy Crockett
2002 - Santa Fe
2005 - Davy Crockett
2008 - Santa Fe
2010 - Sequoia Lodge (January)
2010 - Newport Bay (August)
2015 - Cheyenne
2017 - Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest stay booked for 5 nights July 2017. Excited for the 25th Anniversary!

polar vixen

After staying at the santa fe on our last visit I can understand why they're going to start charging for breakfast. People were literally taking a loaf of bread and making sarnies that they then walked out with.  It wasn't just a bread roll it was a stack of sandwhiches. Although it was so crazy in there I couldn't go again.

CitrusZing

But surely you are paying for breakfast in the package cost anyway? There's no way Disney (or any company) would give you a free breakfast, everything is costed. I would have thought that they would have just raised the package cost to cover extra expense for breakfast.

Quote from: bad-pink-tink on September 22, 2016, 03:38:56 PM
I can see a drop in first and second time UK and Irish families, as many hotels in UK and Ireland have no extra charge for breakfasts.

Many hotels in the UK do charge extra for breakfast. I have paid extra for breakfast many times.
DLP: 1992 Summer (Cheyenne).
2012: May (Santa Fe).
2013: Nov (Kyriad).
2014: Jan (Cheyenne), & Halloween (Kyriad).
2015: Jan - Birthday Trip (Disneyland Hotel) & Sept (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2016: April (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2017: Jan (Santa Fe - 1 night birthday trip), March (Hotel New York - Empire State Club), June (Cheyenne - 1 night trip) & Sept (Santa Fe).
Upcoming:
Sept 2018 (Newport Bay Club - Compass Club).

RockNRoller

If this is true, and I'm sure I remember this doing the rounds a few years ago so it may not be, it sucks. I can understand if they feel its a way of controlling those that use breakfast to make lunch for the whole family but there must be a better way than basically bumping up the price. You could almost cynically view it as someone in their office saying "Hmm numbers will be up for the 25th anniversary I've got an idea to make more money"
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

DisneyRon

If this proves to be correct, then I'm happy to have booked my visit for next year as early as I did.
As I'm on a plan the additional cost shouldn't come into play, so I won't have any unexpected additional costs.

NCC1701Q

I sometimes wonder how naive marketeers and decision-makers are.
The same applies for the changes at the parking garage at The Village: the occupied parking spots are nowhere near half of what they were. And this change does seem to be aimed at increasing revenue, which I seriously doubt if it will actually happen.