book now or wait for a better offer?

Started by Aobh, June 14, 2016, 02:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aobh

Hi folks! After taking a break of 2 years I am in the early stages of planning trip no. 9 to DLRP. Prices have gone up quite a bit since I last booked - this time there will be 2 adults 2 children over 7 and a 2 yr old (hence the 2 yr break!! :D). I am looking at staying for 4 nights in the first week in July next year and HNY is coming in at the £1221 with the 2 nights free offer. Is this the best price/offer I am likely to get? (I have checked out the Irish Disneyland Paris site and it is working out more expensive - even before credit card fees and exchange rate is poor).

I would be interested in opinions based on other people's experiences. I have never booked a trip a year in advance before. Flights can't be booked til mid August so i will not be booking my accommodation until then.

dlpowl

Are you getting free half board in with that price?

Aobh

no free half board - just standard package

daddyof2

I'm a big fan of the 2 nights free offer, which is effectively 50% off for a 4 night stay. The highest % off offered is 35% I think but does sometimes come with free half board. I've stayed at the HNY (with a 2 year old) but we stayed in a Golden Forest Room at SQL last year and we really liked that. Is that an option?

dlpowl

The first week in July is still school term time so I'd expect to get a good price.  I've never stayed in the New York so I can't compare but have you considered going in September instead, just after the kids have gone back to school?  If you go the 2nd week everything is still happening as it's still the Summer season.  It might be worth getting a price for the same holiday but for the second week in September and then you can compare it to the price for July.   We always go in September and it's fabulous.

We are staying at Davy Crockett (which I know isn't as fancy as the New York) but I'm paying just over £1000 for 5 of us (2 adults, 3 kids) for 7 days/6 nights and that includes half board. 

I definitely think it's worth exploring the prices for other times of the Summer season, if you have flexible dates, at least then you'll know.  Did they not offer you the free half board offer?  Is it not on yet for next summer?  If it isn't, it might be worth considering waiting until later on in the year because I'm sure they will bring the free half board or half price half board offer back for next year.

daddyof2

The half board offer isn't on at the mo. Not sure I've ever seen it with the 2 nights free....

dlpowl

We got free half board, free child place and 30% off.   I think it's probably swings and roundabouts, I'd just check any alternative dates to see if you could get it any cheaper.

cjebs

it depends on what you class as a valuable offer for you and your family?

-are you likely to take advantage of a meal plan?

YES- a 20-30% off offer + HB meal plan may be better cost wise for you.

NOT SURE-with NYH you get plus vouchers on the current advertised offer on the DLP website(sometimes this can be premium or it used to be anyway) which is mainly for tables service restaurants and the more expensive buffets.

NO- you are planning on counter service/ the buffets for 1 other meal and taking on a big breakfast to last through the day. in this case the 2nights free would in theory be  cheaper deal (depending on how long you are going for.

the deals "value" depends on length of stay if you are staying for say 10 nights, 2 of being free thats a saving of 20% only whereas a 4 night stay (2 free) is a massive 50% off.

MEAL PLAN-the same thing applies for the meal plan vouchers the longer you plan on staying there and party numbers. the longer your stay for a party of 4 for example can really make a huge saving on the food costs.

Zee79

Agree. We went over Christmas/New Year 3n/4d & got 20% off plus free standard  half board and thought this was a saving (family if 4: 2ad 1teen,1child) compared to normal cost for us.  Booked for this summer & we got 2 nights free offer so staying 4n/5d instead of 3n/4d and paid for the half board & this worked out cheaper this time. One year was lucky & got child u7 & child u12 free & this was a huge savings! Cost us Inc travel & no meal plan so just spending money £790 for 4n/5d in Sequoia because I also had my AP at the time. I personally prefer having free meal plan because I often think if haven't been able to save a lot of spending money then you at least have meals covered, you don't go hungry especially with kids.
You just need to weigh up your options & go with what you think is right for your family.

Aobh

Thanks everybody - we aren't really flexible on our date for this trip due to school commitments - summer term ends on 30th June in NI. On previous trips we have always went during term time. I priced SQL GF room and its coming in at £20 more than HNY for that week.

On our last 3 trips I have upgraded to 1/2 board plus purely for budgeting purposes. The price for the same week this year in HNY is £1660 ish under the 20% off and 1/2 board offer (this is £63 cheaper than the current offer of 2 nights free for next year added to 1/2 board plus at this year's prices).

Don't know if I could hold out til the new year to book though - especially if I am able to book flights in 8 wks time!!!

Lornamar

Try booking on the French site under 12 stay and play free