Free carer tickets for children with ASD/ADHD?

Started by mumof2UK, June 05, 2016, 11:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumof2UK

Hi all,

I'm new here, and apologise if this has been asked/answered before, can't seem to find any up to date info.

I have 2 children, 7 and 11, the 11yr old has (high functioning) autism, and the 7yr old has ADHD and undiagnosed as yet HF autism too, both have diagnosis letters and receive low rate care DLA. My 11yr old struggles to cope when  things don't go as planned, or as she think they will pan out and experiences sensory overload and anxiety, and my 7yr old struggles to queue and has very rigid ideas and can't adapt well to changes of plan either.

Would they be eligible for the free carer tickets that I believe can be bought at the gate? We haven't ever had a family holiday abroad and they are desperate to go to DLP, the only way we could possibly afford it is if we only have to pay for them. I'm not sure whether they have to have more of a physical disability rather than ASD/ADHD which on first sight can appear 'invisible', if that makes sense? I hate asking for discounts when we go places, but its the only way it makes it feasible :-(

Would appreciate clarification of this, thank you so much :-)

twentythingamabobs

Hi there, we get a free carer ticket each visit.   Will you be staying at an onsite Hotel? If you are, then you will all receive tickets anyway for the duration of your stay and I don't think you can discount the carer passes from the total you pay from what I've just read on Trip Adviser. If you are not staying onsite, you will more than likely have to go get a new carer pass every day from the Disability Services window.

Samninetysix

When we took our autistic nephew, we got tickets for 5 people, 1 for our nephew and 4 others.

dlpowl

My eldest has ASD but when we did the maths, the cheapest way for us was to stay onsite at a Disney hotel (we are staying at Davy Crockett) because we got such a good deal and got the free half board meal plan included which saves you a fortune.  Don't underestimate how expensive it is to eat at Disneyland Paris!  Having that half board meal plan thrown in for free is a massive massive saving to families on a budget. 

So if you stay at a Disney hotel, the free carer ticket element doesn't come into play because the price is just one price for everything (tickets, hotel and food).  They can't do a partial discount because a carer is entitled to free park entry, it doesn't work that way.

If you were staying offsite and buying a ticket on the gate then yes, you would get a free carer but like I say, with the amazing offers that Disney have on at the moment, I can't see offsite being any cheaper.   And the park tickets to buy on their own are seriously expensive - if you're going for more than a couple of days it's cheaper to buy an annual pass!  And I even know annual pass holders who are staying in a Disney hotel for their next visit because it still worked out cheaper than staying offsite and they're getting the half board meal plans thrown in too.

Disneyland Paris is not a cheap holiday unfortunately but if you're flexible with when you go, you can still get a good deal.  My advice would be to phone them 0800 169 0737 and talk it over with them.  Say you're on a tight budget and they will happily search through to find you the best value week. 

dlpowl

And remember, you can book it a long way in advance and just pay a little off each month, that's what we do.  And with the Half board meal option thrown in, we know all our meals are covered (we just take snacks with us for during the day), so all we have to save up is our spending money which can be as much or as little as you can afford.  You can still have a fabulous time at DLP without having to spend a fortune in the shops.

dlpowl

Quote from: Samninetysix on June 08, 2016, 05:50:02 PM
When we took our autistic nephew, we got tickets for 5 people, 1 for our nephew and 4 others.

Are you referring to the priority access pass that allows disabled guests priority access to rides without queueing?  Because those are given to the disabled guests and up to 4 other people who may accompany them onto the ride.  They don't give out 4 free park entry tickets for every 1 disabled guest.  ::)

littlebitofpixiedust

My son has cerebral palsy we always book within a deal he benefits of staying on site are worth while and with a child with additional needs its really worth calling DLP and asking.

mumof2UK

Hello, thank you all for your replies, sorry its taken so long to get back on here!

Yes I was trying to book Eurostar/ferry, accommodation and get tickets separately as hoping to do it cheaply but its interesting what some of you have said about the Disney deals! For August though I am only finding prices around £1200, its crazy. Though I appreciate that includes meals and that its expensive to eat there. We just can't do it  that cost though :-( Pre kids we went quite a few times and I agree, staying onsite is SO much better and adds to the magic.

Not sure going this year is going to be feasible, gutted! Even if we do get the free carer tickets I think its around £100 for a 2 day pass for each of the kids. Can do ferry and drive/Eurostar for around £250 for either but then have accommodation on top and if we do the train (easier) rather than ferry and drive, we've then got to get to the park each day.

Really appreiciate your help....maybe I just need to start saving  :'(

fairymom

Looking now for August you are not going to get a great deal. August is the most expensive time to go anyway, are you flexible with your dates at all? You'd get a much better price going in September.
The offsite B&B hotel is meant to be very good and is affordable. You might be able to buy tickets for your kids online in advance but yeah, cheaper than €100 each is not likely.
The offsite hotels have buses to the parks so don't worry about not having your car if you do go with the Eurostar.

Really the only way to make it maneagable is to book way in advance and pay a couple of hundred off a month until you go. Also by booking way in advance you will get a better deal and maybe a meal plan.

dlpowl

Is there no way you could go during school term time?  August would be way too busy for my ASD son, he would have a meltdown with the crowds even if he wasn't queueing for rides, the busyness would just be too much for him.

Middle to end of September is wonderful, that's when we always go and just for a price comparison, I'm paying just over £1000 for 2 adults, 3 kids, staying half board at Davy Crockett and that's for 7 days!   Eurotunnel is £130 return (I don't do ferries but Disney are giving free ferry crossings with bookings too).

mumof2UK

Unfortunately no, its impossible for us to go outside of school holidays as not only do I work at their school, I'm also a governor there - and our school are super strict on no term time holidays  :'( I could risk my job by taking them out and skipping work. Think we may have to look at doing a weekend late September or something.

Thank you SO much for all your responses, really helps - you guys are truly experts!!

Still can't quite accept I cant make it work for this summer though! Boo!!!!

cjebs

have you considered going during half term as it a little bit quieter then and cheaper than the summer months except the october halloween half term is the busiest week of the year i believe.

if no-one minds the cold feb half term is pretty cheap but weather is pretty miserable

Zee79

We enjoyed may half term, often a mix weather plus usually only the Brits off so park isn't super busy.

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: mumof2UK on June 15, 2016, 01:50:33 AM
Unfortunately no, its impossible for us to go outside of school holidays as not only do I work at their school, I'm also a governor there - and our school are super strict on no term time holidays  :'( I could risk my job by taking them out and skipping work. Think we may have to look at doing a weekend late September or something.

Thank you SO much for all your responses, really helps - you guys are truly experts!!

Still can't quite accept I cant make it work for this summer though! Boo!!!!

I'd too recommend considering a visit for feb half term my son has cerebral palsy + autism and copes ok I wouldn't attempt August  :o don't think he'd cope. Good deals can be found for feb too

loupenny

Hello,

Have a look at the disney link package company, we went with them last time and got such a good deal. They were fab from start to finish, I'm a massive deal hunter and I could not beat the price they were offering. Also as a teacher I fully sympathise with the school problem... term time discounts make me want to cry!

I know they also have a charity (not insinuating that you need charity, of course) that helps pay for children with different disabilities to visit DLP... don't ask, don't get maybe? Even if they could help just a little bit, every little helps doesn't it!

http://www.disney-link.com/
In the past - Disneyland Hotel, New York, New Port Bay (DLP) Caribbean Beach (WDW) and AP holder at Tokyo Disney.
Recent Years - Kyriad - 2011
Santa Fe - 2015
Dream Castle, B&B hotel, Air BnBs - 2017