Quinny Buzz travel system on Eurostar! urgent help please!

Started by DisneyM79, April 26, 2016, 03:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisneyM79

Firstly apologies, I know I have posted regarding this before but I am so confused and we travel very soon! Eurostar have been zero help as their 'baggage helpline' is constantly 'too busy' to take calls and keeps asking me to call back and they are not replying to my emails either!

So basically, I am travelling with my young daughter, we are sharing a medium sized suitcase (all fine) and can take a pushchair, however, I don't have the standard size small pushchairs they are saying that can be folded and stored in overhead bit on train.  I have a Quinny Travel System pushchair which comes in two parts when collapsed and when collapsed the larger part is longer than 85cm which is their limit size for suitcases.

Our holiday is a once in a lifetime treat and i have no spare money to buy a smaller pushchair or rent one each day whilst there and I really don't know where to go for advice.  Can anyone help or advise if you have one of these pushchairs?

Surely if i was travelling with a 1 or 2 month old aswell (for example) I would need to take a full pram with me or even a double pushchair for both children so what exactly is the limit with pushchairs??

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Please bear in mind my pushchair will not go in overhead bit it would have to go in with the suitcases but is there a height limit with collapsed pushchairs? or is that just suitcases?

arrgghhhh!!! lol

'Have Courage and Be Kind'

onceuponadream

I don't have experience with pushchairs on Eurostar but a quick google suggests you'll be fine - there are people who have posted online saying they've done it before. They seem to suggest that you need to fold it before you get on the Eurostar, but other than that it sounds like it'll be ok. Enjoy your trip!
December 2015 - Sequoia Lodge
December 2016 - Sequoia Lodge
July 2018 - Newport Bay Club

haribosmum

don't panic!  I've seen all sorts of pushchairs on there.  I can't remember what the bottom part is like, does it fold square or long?  (my citymini folds in half but my McLaren is like a buggy just with a seat unit?)  If it folds in and down you can still put it on top of the racks over the top of your seat.  my big special needs buggy went that way.  the only thing to be aware of is that it will need to be taken down to go through the scanner at the station both ends. 

It's a really popular pushchair and no one is there with a tape measure, don't stress just enjoy!!! xxx
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

Samanthad

I think you should be okay as it would be unreasonable to expect you to not have one, but unfortunately I have not tried this so I cannot say for certain. Stroller hire wouldn't be suitable anyway for a small baby as they are more like solid pushchairs for children who are able to sit up etc.
In fact, on second thought, you should be most certainly allowed as your travel system is still considered a pram/pushchair. So even though it doesn't fold down in one peice, it can still fold down. Chances are they will fold it down and take it away to store in a special place and get it back out for you at the other end.

"Can I take a pushchair, pram or buggy with me on Eurostar?
Of course. You can take a folding pushchair, pram or buggy for free in addition to your individual luggage allowance. "

This is from the Eurostar website - your travel system is a pram, and it does fold (the chassis) so you will be fine - it doesn't specify that it must fold in one peice, so you are good!

Disneyland Paris: Santa Fe 2001, Newport Bay Club 2005, Offsite 2015, Offsite 2016, Hotel B&B Disneyland 2016, Santa Fe Christmas 2016, Offsite May 2017, Santa Fe July 2018, Offsite Sep 2018 1/2 Marathon.

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Magic 7 night Mediterranean Cruise 2017

Next Trip: July 2022

15stitch

I think there are 2 things here.

Firstly, I'm absolutely sure that they won't turn you away and will let you travel with it.

The second thing is though the practicalities of getting on and off the train.  You will need to dismantle the pushchair on the platform and then load it on yourself.   When I went from ashford last year the man on the platform helped me lift my case etc up (its a narrow door), but I then had to store it on the rack etc myself whilst juggling my 2 year old and a case etc. 

Coming home the lady on the platform refused to help me so I had to leave my son on the platform on his own while I put the case on and then had to put him on the train, whilst I did the pushchair etc.  Nightmare! 

Thankfully 2 really lovely families helped me at Ashford getting off as there were no staff there. And by that point I had a very tired 2 year old and was juggling case, bags, pushchair etc in a rush! 

I'm doing it all again on Monday so it didn't put me off and I will report back on my experience this year!     

I don't mean to scare you and please don't panic as you will get there and back with the pushchair, but for a more stress free experience I really would advise a fold down pushchair if you are travelling alone with your daughter.   You can buy really cheap strollers for £20 I think.   Or do you have a friend you could borrow one from?    I wouldn't advise hiring one in the parks as they look really uncomfortable!
1995 WDW (offsite)
1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
2001 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2002 DLP (Hotel New York)
2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2004 WDW (offsite)
2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2006 WDW (Grand Floridian)
2007 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)
2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge)
April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)

daddyof2

I wouldn't worry either, you'll definitely get it on. But yes, you will need to put it through the scanner (definitely at Marne la vallee before getting on the train). We didn't realise that until we were about to go through security with a heavily laden pushchair

DisneyM79

Hi everyone! thanks for all the lovely replies and reassurance!
I have had an email back today from Eurostar saying my Quinny will be fine so I've printed it off and will take it with me!

phew! :-)
'Have Courage and Be Kind'

Samanthad

Disneyland Paris: Santa Fe 2001, Newport Bay Club 2005, Offsite 2015, Offsite 2016, Hotel B&B Disneyland 2016, Santa Fe Christmas 2016, Offsite May 2017, Santa Fe July 2018, Offsite Sep 2018 1/2 Marathon.

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Magic 7 night Mediterranean Cruise 2017

Next Trip: July 2022

stifle

Eurostar very rarely takes issue with baggage unless you can't carry it all yourself.