Star Wars Land

Started by YenSidBot, August 13, 2016, 03:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YenSidBot

I was just thinking recently if DLRP would ever rehaul Discoveryland completely to turn it into Star Wars Land . I personally would not mind if they did because it would be such a cool idea .They could change Buzz to a Stormtrooper shooter ride , Space Mountain to Hyperspace Mountain and even Autopia into a little tattoine speeder ride or something .
Next Trip 28 Sep - 5 October 18 :) :)

msRavenswood

No, no, no! Did I say no? The steampunk theming is so unique it would be a shame if they changed it. A Star Wars land in the Studios on the other hand would be great!

Zee79

Quote from: msRavenswood on August 13, 2016, 06:27:51 PM
No, no, no! Did I say no? The steampunk theming is so unique it would be a shame if they changed it. A Star Wars land in the Studios on the other hand would be great!

I agree. I don't think I would venture into discover land if it was changed sorry, star wars isn't Disney, I know Jules Verne isn't but it fits, I actually never thought star tours fit in the land in the first place but it was here to stay. If there was a new land in the park or over in studios that's fine.

Rocketeer

Another 'no' from me. I can put up with a StarWars mini land at the back of Disco-land, but not a full retheme.

The current theme is one that has managed to avoid falling 'out of date' like its US cousins. (Which, BTW I think should now revert back to the '60s theme. Discoveryland prooves that it doesn't have to be set in the future. It maybe 'tomorrow', but it can be a view of the future from the past).

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

polar vixen

i love the retro futuristicness of discoveryland. the queues for autopia show that even though it's dated it's still hugely popular. ido think that the back area - pizza planet the fiscoveryland theatre and any possible land behind that would make a great star wars mini land

Zee79

Agree with that polar vixen. Its such as wasted area.

mickey1980

I like Star Wars. But I would rather see that they build a new Jules Verne themed attraction. Like TDS "Journey to the Center of the Earth". Or something unique to DLP.

Also, changing perfectly fine attractions costs money, but doesn't add to capacity.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

YenSidBot

Would love to see that ride somehow incorporated into Discoveryland !! I was looking at old videos from Le Visionarium last night and even though I love rides based on movies it does seem there aren't alot of original ideas being used . ;)
Next Trip 28 Sep - 5 October 18 :) :)

Rocketeer

^I totally agree. We need a few more non-movie based 'originals', and Discoveryland does lend itself quite well to that.

Mickey1980 I love the idea of adding Journey to the land. I guess it'd have to go outside the berm (Pizza Planet area - where Star Wars Land could go), or they remove Autopia.

Another attraction that should be added (complete with Jules Verne theme) would be Soarin'. To me it'd fit much better in the land rather than in WDS.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

mickey1980

Wasn't there a rumor some time ago that Soarin' was envisioned for Adventure land?
But I agree that it would fit better in Discovery land.

Just checked maps. And there is plenty of room for a Star Wars miniland on the left side of Discovery land. The Jules Verne theme can continue on the right side  ;D

Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

Rocketeer

Hmm a reasonable amount of land, but perhaps they'd need to go outside the berm? Esepcially if they're cloning the Millenium Falcon attraction. (Rumour had it the show building was as big as ToonTown - not sure if that's true or not).

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: Rocketeer on August 14, 2016, 11:11:38 PM
Hmm a reasonable amount of land, but perhaps they'd need to go outside the berm? Esepcially if they're cloning the Millenium Falcon attraction. (Rumour had it the show building was as big as ToonTown - not sure if that's true or not).

That's crazy,the stuff behind is all backstage, given the budget we could probably knock that out and move it further back to make land.

Rocketeer

Well it's not like they're short on land at the resort. True, removing that backstage building and re-building a new one adds to the budget, but surely the benefits of having even a third of the US Star Wars Lands would generate enough interest to make it possible. And add the potential draw additonal Marvel attractions/Land would have as well, then it surely is possible.

And they could probably keep Star Tours where it is and use both parcels of land either side (and some behind the attraction), therefore making two distinct disctricts of Star Wars Land. The secondary entrance (more like overspill exit) to the land could then lead out to that path that leads around the back of Space Mountain.

samuelvictor

I would absolutely LOVE a Star Wars land, BUT not at the expense of destroying the theming of Discoveryland. Let just hope that the changes they are making for Star Tours 2 and the surrounding area do well, the lands in the American parks are very succesful, and the new films continue to do well (not just because I'm an actor in Rogue One! ::) ) as all of this will increase the liklihood of more Star Wars at Disney.

Star Wars and Lucasfilm/Lucasarts have been intrinsically linked with Disney Parks since the 80s, and now Disney fully owns Lucasarts I don't see why Star Wars can't fully be considered a Disney brand. I still think its a massive shame we don't have any Muppet based things in Paris. Surely Muppet Vision 3D wouldn't be expensive to implement, and the new films and shows have done well for Disney.  :)