Spending money

Started by Northrop2015, February 02, 2016, 02:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northrop2015

Hi all,
This has probably all ready been asked somewhere already,  myself, wife and little one are off to Disney Paris in March for 5 days. Everything is booked and paid for we have meal plans so don't need to worry about paying for meals unless we have a snack at lunch.

We are travelling by Eurostar and then flying back to the Channel Islands so weight restrictions will apply for the flight.  Was wondering what people's recommendations are for travel spends for merchandise and memorabilia would be..?  We have also paid for photopass so will pay for those photos once we return.

Thanks

Northrop2015
Disneyland Paris trips:

Santa Fe - 2005

Walt Disney World:

All Star Movies - 2007
Coronado Springs - 2009

Planned trips

Disneyland Paris Hotel Cheyenne March 2016

seraphelle

I suppose it all depends really. You can manage on a small amount if you only want a few token souvenirs, particularly with the food plan in place and your photopass taken care of. But then again, if you wanted to come back with something more than a few trinkets you can spend A LOT more.

I could have spent hundreds on just villain tshirts last year, but I resisted because we were on a budget (and also because I have about 6 already hahahaha!).
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

Ohana

Well depends on what you want... As a rough guide, from what I know of prices:

Soft toys - €15-50 depending on size
Pins - €7-15
Ornaments - I got a cute chip n Dale climbing the Eiffel Tower for €20, a Jessica rabbit for €15 and a gorgeous photo frame for €25
Sweets - goofy Bon bins €2.50?
Pens - Mickey Mouse shaped - €6, pack of 6 themed pens €12
Essentials - ears €15, autograph book €6? Pen €4
Mugs €10-15

That's a vague idea, and toys can be anything from cheap trinkets to massive expensive train sets lol. They do a mr potato head where you buy the head and stuff a pick n mix box as full of accessories as you physically can for about €20 I think.

There's so much stuff and really some of it isn't as expensive as you'd think. I went a bit mad with mine... I took just short of a grand and came back with mere cents.. But that's including feeding 2 adults for 5 days and several glowtinis...

I hope this helps you a bit, so you can have a vague idea of what you might like to get and therefore how much you'll require :)
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

Northrop2015

That's great, thanks for the advice 😄
Disneyland Paris trips:

Santa Fe - 2005

Walt Disney World:

All Star Movies - 2007
Coronado Springs - 2009

Planned trips

Disneyland Paris Hotel Cheyenne March 2016

DisneyM79

I was thinking the same.....
Aside from money for food/drinks, I'm thinking of taking around £250 for 5 days?

I guess it depends on what your weakness is, shopping wise?  ;D
Is it clothing? ornaments? toys? outfits etc?

I'd like to treat myself to just one nice Disney hoody or t-shirt out there, i'm not really into ornaments etc but that was before I had a child, now i'm more sentimental and love reminders of things....but i'd be happy with a Disney pen to be honest! lol

My daughter is 4 and like every other 4 year old, obsessed with teddies!
I have already promised her a Bolt one! (just hope to goodness they still sell them when we go in May)
I am taking her Elsa dress with me but fear I will spoiling her a little each day, but they do say life is short so as long as I don't go too mad, who cares!?  :D

I will however, without a DOUBT.....be purchasing Mickey ears for me and my daughter! haha!!
'Have Courage and Be Kind'

DisneyMumOf1

We're in Disney at the moment and the prices vary with alot of things. Like others have said plushies go from about €15 way up to €50, my son has his eye on an Emille teddy which is €23 but its a decent size. Of course theres other things which is ridiculously over priced for what it is (my son is a star wars junkie and just HAD to build his own little droid, its half the size of my Xperia phone and was €11. Daddy sneakily took him though when i was on Space Mountain so had no idea) Mugs between €12-€15, figure sets are about €20+, ornaments vary from as little as €10 upward, clothing depending on who its for is about €18/€20 up. Minnie ears €15 but be warned they do hurt your head after a while but that may be because of my fat head lol.

Everything in all shops are the same prices, i remember reading once that you can find things cheaper in different stores but i havent found that to be true yet. We have taken €1500 but thats because we do one trip a year as work consumes our lives and we dont get to spend time with our son so we spoil him when we can....plus i knew how expensive the glowtinis were so i came prepared  ;D

twentythingamabobs

Quote from: DisneyM79 on February 03, 2016, 12:29:02 AM
I will however, without a DOUBT.....be purchasing Mickey ears for me and my daughter! haha!!

Haha, I buy a pair everytime I visit they are addictive! There are soooo many to choose from so don't just buy the first ones you see  ;)

rocker

Get yourself a Halifax Clarity credit card.  It's designed for spending abroad & the rate is better than you will get at any Bureau De Change.

check for yourself here
http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/?_ga=1.268770737.1736834151.1454496120

If given the option, always opt to pay pay in Euros rather than pounds as Halifax will give you a superior rate than at the point of sale. 

I normally get £100 worth of Euros cash for bottles of water, pastries & small bits & pieces & then do the rest of my spending on the card thereby avoiding the headache of trying to work out in advance how much cash to take  :D

& No I do not work for Halifax...I just find their card useful!

haribosmum

Quote from: DisneyMumOf1 on February 03, 2016, 05:55:10 AM
Everything in all shops are the same prices, i remember reading once that you can find things cheaper in different stores but i havent found that to be true yet.

I found the prices were the same but there were different offers available.  In one shop we got a free fleece, another if you spent 50euros you got a 20% discount (that was the shop in the village with all the princess dresses near café mickey).

My daughter is fast becoming a star wars junkie and wants a Chewbacca toy.  we bought both our kids disneystore lightsabers as I didn't want to have to carry them home from holiday. 

we take some cash but mostly spend on our credit card as is also 0% fee for purchases.
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

EmmaH

We have just returned and our three children took their Christmas money which kind relatives had given to them in Euros. They each had 110 Euros for the five days we were there. My eldest who is 9 is really into models and he bought himself two Peter Pan models which came to 60 euros we then said for his birthday we would contribute and he bought a huge Peter Pan model (pirate ship) for 125 Euros.

We always take a spare suitcase for the kids gifts they have bought, last year it was full with teddies and my husband had to also cart a huge Stitch home which had its own Disney sack bag. This year it was all about the models which all transported safely home.

The Disney shopping service is great but it does make you forget what you have already bought that day...
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne January 2016
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne January 2015
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne January 2014
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne January 2013