Attractions with the same ride systems

Started by Rocketeer, December 17, 2015, 09:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketeer

Wasn't quite sure how to word the thread title, so let me explain...

I've often heard fans say that a certain attraction won't get built as there's already another attraction with the same ride system.
For example:
Indiana Jones Adventure (DL) 'won't be added to DHS' as there is Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom.
Radiator Springs Racers (DCA) 'won't be added to DHS'  as its based on Test Track which is already at EPCOT.

My question is, does it really matter? Especially when it comes to Disneyland Paris?

Should they not add Geyser Mountain (free fall attraction) to Frontierland due to the fact that the Tower of Terror exists at WDS?
What if they chose to add the Iron Man Experience (simulator) to WDS? Should the fact that there's Star Tours in DLP stop it from being added?

After all, both examples give unique experiences and are not exact clones of the same attraction in the other park. And if its a new attraction, why should the fact that its the same tech stop it from being added?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

MattR

I think it makes sense to not add the same ride with a different themening as long as they have something "new" which the ressort doesn´t offer yet. A lot of people are not (only) into theming they want to experience a new kind of ride.

I am still wondering why DLP & Studios have so many carousel-style ride.

seraphelle

Quote from: MattR on December 18, 2015, 07:32:35 AM
I am still wondering why DLP & Studios have so many carousel-style ride.

I agree with this. Especially as 'round and round' type rides just make me feel sick. I've never been on Madhatters teacups, Dumbo, Carousel de Lancelot, Orbitron, Flying Carpets....purely because I know I'll hate them.

I've done Slinky twice and stared at my feet the whole time  ::)

Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

rebecca20

If you look at existing ride systems theres loads of duplication in Paris! I don't think that would stop them, if anything it makes life easier as it'd be the same architects and engineers.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

Rocketeer

Glad to hear that its not a big an issue as some make out. After all, if its a relatively unique experience, then its its own attraction and not "just another one of those rides".

I would guess though that only applies in different parks. I couldn't see them adding Iron Man to Discoveryland, for one it'd show up the age of the current Star Tours attraction. Likewise, although its a completely different attraction, Mystic Manor would clash in WDS as there's Ratatouille.

But any new attractions would be welcome, similar ride systems or not.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

rebecca20

It always amazes me that they have Dumbo, Orbitron and Flying Carpets - yes the engineering is different but they are pretty much the same ride.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

mrpiggywinkles52

Already we have Dumbo, Orbitron and the Flying Carpets over Agrabah which are literally the exact same ride rethemed.  I mean a lot of our coasters are the same ride really, they have different track layouts but they are all just themed roller coasters, i dunno if that counts though.

We have the dark rides in Fantasyland which, again all use the exact same ride system, although to be fair I guess Peter Pan's has to be different since it is on the roof.

Sulley's Arms

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the essentially identical rides in Fantasyland - Snow White and Pinocchio.  Although I'm even more surprised that we continue to enjoy going on them both - often one straight after the other!

I even enjoy queueing on them both.  It doesn't really matter that the ride system is the same, as you have a different experience on each.

Space Mountain & Rock'n'Rollercoaster are the same (especially when the music fails, lol) but we love them both every time we go back...

Will Toy Story Mania be poorly received because there's already a TS-themed shooting ride?  Not on your life! 

Bring it on!
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]