Best Dining

Started by irishcailin, November 10, 2015, 05:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishcailin

Hi all,
Myself and my partner are traveling to DLP for our first visit next week, mad excited for it. With regards to dining, as we have no kiddies with us we really wanted to know where are the best places you would recommend for food quality rather than for character interaction etc.. We are going for 4 nights and we would usually have a good breakfast and then save ourselves for a good feed in the evenings when on holidays.
I have done a bit of research but a lot suggestions are based on character involvement at meals.

Any suggestions/recommendations greatly appreciated.

BethKJ

I can definitely recommend the Bistrot Chez Remy. It was some of the best food we had during our stay. As there are no characters, it was a calmer atmosphere than in restaurants featuring interaction.
Our concierge recommended the California Grill to us. We would have loved to try it, but we were only there for four days and didn't manage. But we were told it is by far the best food in all of DLP! And from seeing the various reviews, it does seem to be quite chic.
Hope you have a lovely trip!
DLP day trip 1997
Sequoia  Lodge 2004
DLP day trip 2008
Sequoia Lodge 2015

bad-pink-tink

I would recommend Blue Lagoon. Its actually PART of Pirates of The Caribbean ride. Book in advance, then arrive about 30 minutes before your time and ask for a table by the water.

Another place to eat, which I have heard great reviews about but haven't tried yet is Walts on Main Street.

Also check out the hotels, New York, and Sequoia Lodge.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

rebecca20

It depends on what kinds of food you like.

For us California Grill was just too fancy despite us having Premium vouchers. Blue Lagoon was too fish orientated for me personally.

My favourites for food were Cafe Mickey (super annoying as I would pay for the meal without the characters!), Planet Hollywood and Annettes - I love American burger type food on holiday as I rarely eat it at home so those are my personal favourites. I also really enjoyed Inventions food if you want a buffet. When I visited Plaza Gardens was horrifically busy and it's not even character dining so that's a no go if you want to avoid children.

I didn't rate Chez Remy but we have amazing local steak and there's just wasn't as good!

If you do like fish dishes I've heard Blue Lagoon is really good!
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

littlebitofpixiedust

King Ludwigs in Disney village (they even have a happy hour offer on drinks) it's beautiful inside too, foods great! Lots of choice and you can Pre book. We even eat here twice per trip as it is that good!

Planet Hollywood as mentioned above also great food and quite fast service you can't go wrong there but you can't Pre book. Annette's is meant to be great also but we've yet to try as the que is always long but I'm hoping to try on next visit! Enjoy  :)

In Disneyland park is great too but you have to eat earlier as it closes (or it used too!)

rebecca20

littlbitofpixiedust - Annettes is my mums absolute favourite, such good value for money the portions are huge. The queues are probably long because its not pre-bookable, I have found that they like to almost stagger your entrance, probably so the kitchens can handle it. I don't mean a huge wait but its a good minute between seating one person and the next even when tables are empty.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

stifle

I second Bistrot Chez Rémy – but it is a very short menu so check in advance that it'll have something you like.

I also liked Inventions, though it is expensive and character dining so may not suit you as well. Parkside Diner in the Hotel New York has much the same buffet (though without the gigantic selection of prawns) at a keener price.

Annette's is good for atmosphere; the food is mostly burgers and chips. Very good burgers and chips, sure. But still 🍔🍟

Do let us know how you get on!

never2old

Another vote for Bistrot Chez Remy, really good good - though the opening times may be better suited for lunch rather than dinner (I think the last reservation is for 5pm)

Walt's is another favourite of ours, I love the place. There are different rooms for the different areas of the park (Fantasyland, Discoveryland....) so if you go there take time to explore the whole restaurant. Food is also good, we've never been disapointed there.

Blue Lagoon is also really good, I love the theming there, and personally I love the food.

Reservations are highly recommended for all of them....

Outside the park, we used to go quite a lot to the Steakhouse in the Village, though last time we went there I thought the menu had been reduced a bit... Still, good food (service can be slow though). It's quite a large room and it can feel a bit noisy.

My husband loves King Ludwig's (they have good beer there apparently), the food is very tasty and service quick...

Have a great time!

irishcailin

Thank you everyone so much for your help. We have sat the last hour going through the menus of all your recommendations and have picked our top choices, hopefully we'll get to them all  :)

We're both starving now thinking of all the eating we will do there next week!  :D

haribosmum

I've never been to King Ludwigs before but after reading some posts am thinking about a visit next Feb.  Might be nice to try different places on my 7th visit :-)
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: rebecca20 on November 10, 2015, 11:53:19 PM
littlbitofpixiedust - Annettes is my mums absolute favourite, such good value for money the portions are huge. The queues are probably long because its not pre-bookable, I have found that they like to almost stagger your entrance, probably so the kitchens can handle it. I don't mean a huge wait but its a good minute between seating one person and the next even when tables are empty.

Yeah I think also down to it being so popular but I'm determined to try it!  :)

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: irishcailin on November 11, 2015, 10:20:52 PM
Thank you everyone so much for your help. We have sat the last hour going through the menus of all your recommendations and have picked our top choices, hopefully we'll get to them all  :)

We're both starving now thinking of all the eating we will do there next week!  :D

What are your top choices? Glad we helped!

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: haribosmum on November 12, 2015, 01:11:39 PM
I've never been to King Ludwigs before but after reading some posts am thinking about a visit next Feb.  Might be nice to try different places on my 7th visit :-)

I don't think you'll be disappointed worth trying king ludwigs- we were disappointed it's taken us around 30 visits since opening of DLP to try this place not so very long ago. We've ate in most on/of park restaurants now and this one has to be our number 1 for choice value and atmosphere.

I even did a report on trip advisor and got a response from the lovely manager! Enjoy!

irishcailin

Our top choices so far:
We arrive late afternoon Thursday so we are going to stroll around and get our bearings and dinner in King Ludwigs, I hear there is Happy Hour between 5 and 7.30 so hopefully we will be there for some of that  :D
Our first full day on the Friday, as it comes so highly recommended, we hope to get reservations in Bistro Chez Remy.
Saturday we plan to go to Paris for the day and eat there.
Sunday hopefully The Blue Lagoon as we are both fish lovers. We looked up California grill too but their menu seems to be in the process of being updated.
We have breakfast included in the Sequoia Lodge but I like the look of the breakfast in Annettes Diner so I want to try that out, maybe on our last day.
We heard also that the Earl of Sandwich is lovely for a bite during the day for quick lunch or if we cant last till dinner time.
Unfortunately I have been disappointed by the food in Planet Hollywood in different cities i've been to before so usually give it a miss when away.

Again thank you everyone for your recommendations. It is our first visit to any Disney Park so really appreciate you taking the time to comment and help.

stifle