Vegan dining

Started by TInkus, September 21, 2015, 02:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TInkus

HI, We're visiting again in November, and for the first time in 11 years one of party is Vegan. I've been trying to find out about vegan dining but not having much luck, We're planning on eating at Blue Lagoon, Rainforest Cafe, Chez Remy, Hunters Grill and Plaza Gardens, The buffets shouldn't be a problem but it's more Blue Lagoon and Chez Remy that we're concerned about. she also can't eat mushrooms which doesn't help matters. if anyone have any information they can offer, it would be gratefully received. Thank you   
2004 - Santa Fe, DLP
2005 - Cheyenne, DLP
2005 - Sequoia Lodge, DLP
2006 - Sequoia Lodge, DLP
2007 - Newport Bay, DLP
2009 - Sequoia Lodge, DLP
2010 - WDW, FL
2013 - Sequoia Lodge, DLP
Nov 2015 - Sequoia Lodge, DLP
Nov 2017 ----

seraphelle

Hiya,

Sadly I can't offer advice RE vegan menu, but, when a friend went who has a gluten intolerance, the restaurant staff were very good at accommodating and offering alternatives. She took a little card that said in French what her dietary restrictions were and showed it when being given a menu, and they did what they could to help her out. Maybe try something like but state Vegan with an allergy to mushrooms and hopefully that might make things a bit smoother?

x
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

stifle

Blue Lagoon has a vegan starter (Caribbean salad) and main (vegetable voyage). Bistro Chez Rémy is OKish if they will serve the salad without cheese, and then the tofu and bean casserole. Not sure about mushroom contents but the cast members will be able to advise. I would make sure to be aware of the French words for vegan (végitalien) and mushrooms (champignons) to avoid any confusion.

mickey1980

Isn't the person who is Vegan supposed to find out if the restaurants can accompany his/hers dietary needs?  ;)
Kudos for you being a good friend.

Also, check out Agrabah cafe. Middle eastern food has a lot of veggie options.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

TInkus

Thanks for the replies. I said I would try and find out for her, being my lil sis and all ;-) plus she would of left it until the last minute, whereas I like to be organised :-)
We did try Agrabah cafe last time we went, unfortunately it made me ill, so hesitant to return there.
Thank you,  The card idea and French words will come in handy
=D 
2004 - Santa Fe, DLP
2005 - Cheyenne, DLP
2007 - Newport Bay, DLP
2010 - WDW, FL
Nov 2017 ----

LotsoHugginBear

The question is, how vegan the person is!
If it is ok to have food which contains no meat, eggs, milk and so on, you will find something to eat at DLP (little choice but it will work). But don't expect too much!
But if the person is very strict and her food is not allowed to have contact with meat, eggs, milk an so on - than better only eat the packed salad! All other options were made not only in the same kitchen as the other food but in the same pans and pots, too. Chefs at DLP seem not to care much about this.
In my opinion it's not a problem, but some vegans see this as a big problem.

HildeKitten

Not only vegans, it's a huge issue for people with food allergies too :(
Like I'm allergic to shrimp and tuna, so I have to avoid the restaurants that serve these like the plague XD

Maybe have a look at the menus on the DLRP guide site and see what could be a good place to eat?
Like the others my suggestion would also be to try and stick to the buffets as much as possible and possibly pack some pre-packaged foods your sister can eat from home.

Sadly France isn't the most vegetarian friendly country, but from what I hear it's really bad for vegans.

Zee79

TInkus

Thank you Zee79 it is helpful.

LotsoHugginBear, she has only recently gone vegan after being vegetarian for a while so I would imagine she's not too strict .... yet
2004 - Santa Fe, DLP
2005 - Cheyenne, DLP
2007 - Newport Bay, DLP
2010 - WDW, FL
Nov 2017 ----

andrewuk

I've been vegan for over 16 years and, I think I am pretty typical in that I will eat food that 'may contain traces of milk' ie it has been cooked somewhere where milk is used so there might be tiny traces in that could make someone with a milk allergy ill. But if animal products are intentionally part of the ingredients of a meal then I won't be eating any of that, even if they are not obviously there.

It is bloody hard at DLP! The hotel breakfasts are fantastic though as you can fill up on the bread rolls and fruit (and take a roll or two to eat on the go). We normally have a 'chips,salad and fruit' 'meal' in the parks and take vegan protein bars in with us to fill up on. Then we take some pots with us (the food doctor brand in the UK is excellent for this) where you can just add boiling water and get a decent-ish meal in the hotel room.

I have tried to contact DLP numerous times about this but I haven't had much luck, as you normally end up speaking to someone who is using their second or third language and doesn't really understand what veganism is about.

Also, be wary of the Agrabah Cafe as I have heard many reports that the lovely looking food in there is cooked in chicken stock! Why they can just use vegetable stock is beyond me!
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

mickey1980

Quote from: andrewuk on September 25, 2015, 09:09:50 PM
Also, be wary of the Agrabah Cafe as I have heard many reports that the lovely looking food in there is cooked in chicken stock! Why they can just use vegetable stock is beyond me!

You heard? Or you asked...? The chef often walks around in the restaurant. Ask him or his staff and know for sure.
By the way, breakfast rolls and croissants are often made with butter and egg-yokes. Just saying  ;)
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

andrewuk

Quote from: mickey1980 on September 25, 2015, 10:34:40 PM
Quote from: andrewuk on September 25, 2015, 09:09:50 PM

You heard? Or you asked...? The chef often walks around in the restaurant. Ask him or his staff and know for sure.
By the way, breakfast rolls and croissants are often made with butter and egg-yokes. Just saying  ;)

There are no vegan croissants that I've ever found, and I only ever eat the plain bread rolls at DLP. I haven't been in Agrabah (it was closed on our last trip anyway). Lots of people in online discussions have said that the chefs had told them about the chicken stock. I just said to be aware, I didn't say don't go in there. If you want to ask them first hand that would of course be better.  :)
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

TInkus

Thank you andrewuk, She's already said about taking lots of bars etc with her but don't think she's thought about pots for the hotel room, so will recommend them to her  :)

mickey1980, petits pains ( breakfast rolls) are usually made without using butter, eggs etc actually learnt recently that a lot of bread is vegan friendly, along with Fox's party rings, which surprised me  ;)
2004 - Santa Fe, DLP
2005 - Cheyenne, DLP
2007 - Newport Bay, DLP
2010 - WDW, FL
Nov 2017 ----