English Ride Narration

Started by mrpiggywinkles52, September 03, 2015, 06:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpiggywinkles52

So for the first time I have booked a trip to Disneyland Paris with my parents next summer. I've never been with them before! Personally I can speak French, well enough to understand the ride narration at Disneyland Paris. However my parent's knowledge doesn't go beyond Bonjour.

They've been sceptical of the language barrier before going, But many of the rides are in French, naturally I want to show them how to have the best time possible. They come from WDW. They were there 3 times in the 90s so they've experienced many of the rides in English. As a result I was thinking of doing the same thing here for rides that warrant it.

Those that I can think of off the top of my head are:

Phantom Manor, Peter Pan, Snow White and Tower of Terror.  I left out Pinnochio deliberately and Star Tours will be closed during our visit. Many of the shows have ENGLISH showtimes or are mostly visual (Stunts Moteurs is visual for example)

Has anyone here tried using headphones to listen to the english sounds of these rides?

I was able to find a good Phantom Manor Narration video, however nothing for the other rides. Should I use Youtube converter to convert a POV video from one of the other parks into an audio file and use that?

Anyone that can offer advice or experiences doing this, as well as whether or not it is worthwhile would be much appreciated!

stifle

The Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror has English subtitles for the pre-show video. The narration on the lift can be set to English by the CM operating it; normally they try to assess which language is in the majority amongst the guests riding, but if you ask nicely they are likely to accommodate you.

mrpiggywinkles52

Wow really? Huh, I never knew that about Tower it's been in French everytime I've ridden it! Hopefully the CM will be nice enough to help us out there, I'll keep hunting for a narration in english just in case.

Does anyone know if the Tower is the same as the California or Florida versions of the ride?

michaelj1973

Never done the california version but the dlp version differs from the Orlando one. In dlp you stay in the same shaft. You don't have the part going horizontal.

MattR

The Paris version differs slightly it has more "tracks" or "ride programs" or whatever you want to call them which are choosen randomily.

Regarding the language "issue" I really don´t see the problem, there are a very few shows like Stich encounter which really require advance language skills to actually understand what is going on. Even if you don´t understand French 95% of the message is transported visually.

msRavenswood

Quote from: MattR on September 04, 2015, 07:44:24 AM
The Paris version differs slightly it has more "tracks" or "ride programs" or whatever you want to call them which are choosen randomly

Actually, it's the WDW version which has randomized drops and lifts.  ;)

MattR

Quote from: msRavenswood on September 04, 2015, 09:00:04 AM
Quote from: MattR on September 04, 2015, 07:44:24 AM
The Paris version differs slightly it has more "tracks" or "ride programs" or whatever you want to call them which are choosen randomly

Actually, it's the WDW version which has randomized drops and lifts.  ;)

I thought that one US version has the vertical lift and the random drops and lifts and the other version is horizontal only (as is Tokyo) and the Paris version has the random drops and lifts but is only horizontal.

michaelj1973

for the complete differents etc look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twilight_Zone_Tower_of_Terror
I like the horizontal part more. But if a guest drops his map or something else its often that the ride after will stop and can't go further on. That's why they removed that in the other versions of the ride...