D23 Expo...

Started by Disneylove, August 16, 2015, 01:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disneylove

Looks like Paris has been left out again so far, apart from telling us they're having a 25th Anniversary, which we knew. Sad they always seem to get left out  :(

mrpiggywinkles52

I'm rather annoyed. Every park except ours got awesome new rides or lands. This D23 was HUGE and all DLP got was a POSTER for the 25th. Wow big news, they're having the 25th anniversary, what a shocker.

I thought things were just starting to turn around for DLP, I thought that with all the refurbs of rides and the park we were finally going to see DLP become a Disney experience like Disneyland Resort. I thought we'd finally see Disneyland Park get some new rides in it. I thought the Studios might get more rethinking and expansion. But I ASSUME it wasn't in DLP's budget to do so.

I mean didn't we get 1 Billion from Disney recently? They couldn't have spent all of that on the refurbishments...

DisneyRon

Part of the problem is I assume that DLP isn't directly owned by Disney.

There were no major announcements for Disney Hong Kong or Tokyo either, as those also aren't owned by Disney directly. ;)

D23 is I believe primarily a Disney corporation thing, the announcements are all for things that are affected by Disney itself, and those 3 parks are not, at least, not directly.

norhel

Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on August 16, 2015, 01:44:27 AM
I mean didn't we get 1 Billion from Disney recently? They couldn't have spent all of that on the refurbishments...

One thought that hit me, is if those money maybe was used towards debt and refurbishment.
But that is just a thought. And even though, it wasn't anything announced at D23, that doesn't mean that they are not working on something.
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

DisneyRon

Quote from: norhel on August 16, 2015, 10:17:39 AM
Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on August 16, 2015, 01:44:27 AM

One thought that hit me, is if those money maybe was used towards debt and refurbishment.
But that is just a thought. And even though, it wasn't anything announced at D23, that doesn't mean that they are not working on something.

They are certainly scheduling a lot of refurbs and such lately. ^_^
Something that the big cash injection may have been used for.
As for big investment announcements... not sure. When has DLP done those traditionally?

norhel

Quote from: DisneyRon on August 16, 2015, 10:28:45 AM
As for big investment announcements... not sure. When has DLP done those traditionally?

I have no idea to be honest.

Disneylove

I really thought they'd have something special planned for the 25th anniversary. Maybe like a new ride, I've heard things about a new Star Wars section of the park near Pizza Planet for the anniversary but surely something like that would take a long time to build and I presume this would be the latest opportunity they could announce it if it was going to happen.

Tokyo are getting a Frozen major expansion, and Hong Kong are getting a huge Iron Man attraction. Far enough, it's not as big as getting a Star Wars land but they are at least getting new features...we get a poster?

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: DisneyRon on August 16, 2015, 08:59:14 AM

There were no major announcements for Disney Hong Kong or Tokyo either, as those also aren't owned by Disney directly. ;)

D23 is I believe primarily a Disney corporation thing, the announcements are all for things that are affected by Disney itself, and those 3 parks are not, at least, not directly.

THIS ^^^

The D23 conference is primarily a conference for the American Disney parks. Their primary concern is Disneyland California and Walt Disney World Florida, as these are the parks that they have 100 % control over. The other parks are not their concern. They can suggest the changes and upgrades but if the money or the interest  from the other owners is not there, then why bother wasting conference time.

Everyone seems to blame Disney for not looking after DLP but maybe some of the blame should be placed at the other owners. They might  not have  the same motivation or interest in new ideas for DLP. The other owners may just care about the money the park makes for them and have no interest in bringing new ideas to the park.

Its like when landlords dont bother doing home improvements on properties they rent. As long as the place is safe, who cares that its not being updated, as long as tenants are willing to pay to live there. Where as when you own your own property, you do home improvements, you upgrade fixtures and fittings, you make sure it is not just liveable but has character and reflects your personality.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: bad-pink-tink on August 16, 2015, 02:12:15 PM
Quote from: DisneyRon on August 16, 2015, 08:59:14 AM

Yes, but like others have pointed out. There was the announcement of a new Ironman Attraction for Hong Kong
THIS ^^^

The D23 conference is primarily a conference for the American Disney parks. Their primary concern is Disneyland California and Walt Disney World Florida, as these are the parks that they have 100 % control over. The other parks are not their concern. They can suggest the changes and upgrades but if the money or the interest  from the other owners is not there, then why bother wasting conference time.

Everyone seems to blame Disney for not looking after DLP but maybe some of the blame should be placed at the other owners. They might  not have  the same motivation or interest in new ideas for DLP. The other owners may just care about the money the park makes for them and have no interest in bringing new ideas to the park.

Its like when landlords dont bother doing home improvements on properties they rent. As long as the place is safe, who cares that its not being updated, as long as tenants are willing to pay to live there. Where as when you own your own property, you do home improvements, you upgrade fixtures and fittings, you make sure it is not just liveable but has character and reflects your personality.

Yes, but as others have mentioned HK had the Ironman thing announced. And Tokyo had a frozen expansion announced. DLP got a poster.

I understand that Disney doesn't entirely own DLP. But aren't they currently increasing their shares in the place to own it more? And don't they have the majority of shares now since that Prince sold his?

They injected 1 Billion into DLP, if that's all been used for refurbishments then they should have given more money to be used for a new attraction or Star Wars land to draw people into the parks. The refurbs will enhance the experience for regular park-goers and people that were already going to go to Disneyland Paris. But they won't drag in new guests. New attractions DO bring in new guests. If the Studios or half of Discoveryland became Star Wars land that would have brought in SO MANY guests...

bad-pink-tink

Debts and loans need to get paid too. Look at the huge amount of money being put into the hotels. and then the new Ratatouille ride. When all of thats covered, there wouldn't be much left. The focus seems to be on the hotels and general upkeep atm, not new stuff. How can they create new things when they cant even keep the existing rides and attractions up to the same level of maintenance as the American parks?
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

DisneyRon

Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on August 16, 2015, 02:24:00 PM

Yes, but as others have mentioned HK had the Ironman thing announced. And Tokyo had a frozen expansion announced. DLP got a poster.

I understand that Disney doesn't entirely own DLP. But aren't they currently increasing their shares in the place to own it more? And don't they have the majority of shares now since that Prince sold his?

They injected 1 Billion into DLP, if that's all been used for refurbishments then they should have given more money to be used for a new attraction or Star Wars land to draw people into the parks. The refurbs will enhance the experience for regular park-goers and people that were already going to go to Disneyland Paris. But they won't drag in new guests. New attractions DO bring in new guests. If the Studios or half of Discoveryland became Star Wars land that would have brought in SO MANY guests...

If I recall correctly the group that owns the majority stake in Tokyo Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland now has a large stake in DLP, with the French group being the largest I imagine.
Major investments are a decision by those 2 groups primarily, as they own the vast majority of shares.
Disney Corp itself doesn't have as many shares.

While you're certainly right that new attractions would bring more guests, that's a lot of capital those investors might not want to cough up, Disney is not in the lead here.

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: DisneyRon on August 16, 2015, 02:36:14 PM
Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on August 16, 2015, 02:24:00 PM

If I recall correctly the group that owns the majority stake in Tokyo Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland now has a large stake in DLP, with the French group being the largest I imagine.
Major investments are a decision by those 2 groups primarily, as they own the vast majority of shares.
Disney Corp itself doesn't have as many shares.

While you're certainly right that new attractions would bring more guests, that's a lot of capital those investors might not want to cough up, Disney is not in the lead here.

I could have swore Disney bought all the shares from the prince from one of the middle eastern countries giving up his...Or maybe I just read Disney was trying to gain shares in DLP...

Either way though, even if Disney doesn't have the majority of shares, couldn't they say to DLP "Hey we're giving you a billion dollars for Star Wars Land" anyways? And I doubt DLP or it's shareholders would refuse that type of investment from Disney. I'm not certain how the whole system works. But isn't that the case? That Disney could just give DLP money for a new land?

EDIT: According to the Guardian:

"Walt Disney owns 40% of the business. In its third multimillion-euro bailout of its French offspring, the US company is injecting €400m into Euro Disney and swapping €600m of debt into shares. The US company will also give Euro Disney breathing space on the rest of the loans until 2024."

Disneylove

Yesterday my kids were asking me what it was like when I went to Disneyland (year 1999, 16 years ago). I went about finding my autograph book and when I got it out I was seriously surprised to see I still had a park map from July 1999. I decided to have a look and see how much things have changed, to find it to be pretty much exactly the same. There has been a few changes; but very very few. Yeah they've had financial troubles, but they've also had a serious amount of help to bail them out.

When you look in comparison to other parks, fully owned or part owner by Disney, they've had the smallest park growth rate. I also went to Disney World Florida in 1999, 2 weeks after going to Paris, and the park now has SO much more attractions since i was there it's pretty unbelievable. I can't help but think this is one of the reasons they're struggling. There's just nothing new. I went once, 16 years ago and can think of a handful of things I want to see that I haven't seen before.

norhel

Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on August 16, 2015, 04:26:11 PM

"Walt Disney owns 40% of the business. In its third multimillion-euro bailout of its French offspring, the US company is injecting €400m into Euro Disney and swapping €600m of debt into shares. The US company will also give Euro Disney breathing space on the rest of the loans until 2024."

According to Saloon Mickey, TWDC now owns a 78,9 % of DLP:
https://salonmickey.wordpress.com/2015/05/28/twdc-increases-its-ownership-of-disneyland-paris-to-78-90/

DisneyRon

Quote from: norhel on August 16, 2015, 06:31:36 PM
Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on August 16, 2015, 04:26:11 PM

According to Saloon Mickey, TWDC now owns a 78,9 % of DLP:
https://salonmickey.wordpress.com/2015/05/28/twdc-increases-its-ownership-of-disneyland-paris-to-78-90/

Yikes, if they now have a majority stake then this gets a little more confusing...
I guess the big refurb operation is more important, and perhaps they want to see the performance of the park during the anniversary before committing to a big investment for a park extension? :)